mtbr member
    May 2007

Help appreciated...now can't decide between Perp or the Intense Uzzi

Hi all -
    I was set on getting the Uzzi then a friend pointed me towards the Perp. I've done a ton of reading and it looks like a very versatile bike. I really love the fact that you can adjust rear travel between 2 settings.

I'm looking for a one all do all bike that is FR/DH oriented. I love bombing down mountains and hitting big hucks and jumps. I do FR more than DH, however looking to get into some light DH racing (regional stuff). The uzzi fit the bill very well as it is extremely versatile and a great FR bike that can also be raced DH.

I was curious how your thoughts are on the Perp for what I'm looking to do? I have some questions I'm hoping you can answer

1) Stability at speed? The uzzi has a HT of 67 deg. While it's excellent at climbing and taking anything on...many agree that once you get to insane DH speeds it's not as stable

2) How is the pedability (if that's even a word..haha)? Remember I will use this as my one all do all bike. So I'd like to be able to pedal it around some of the local mountains (some of which are more AM than FR/DH).

3) How is it in in nimbleness and control? The Uzzi is excellent at very technical DH trails with tight turns.

4) Flickability? Does it feel like it can be flicked around or does it have a burlier feel to it (in other words doesn't feel like you can flick it as easily).

Thanks much for you help. I would appreciate any opinions.

Like catnip for people
    You might have already seen this? Just the Cannondale Perp video...

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1252317181

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ar1981 -
    That is a Godsend of an answer you just posted! It answers every question I had. Thanks a ton. I think they may just made my mind up to switch getting the Uzzi to the Perp.

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by EC99SS
    Ar1981 -
    That is a Godsend of an answer you just posted! It answers every question I had. Thanks a ton. I think they may just made my mind up to switch getting the Uzzi to the Perp.
    My work is done here then

Glad I could help

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks again.

I just read the MBA review of the Perp and it wasn't favorable. Then again, MBA isn't exactly known for the FR/DH genre. I did hear that Decline had a review. I need to dig up that issue and look at it again.

In the meantime...anyone care to chime in and tell me how the Decline review went?

mtbr member
    Yes - PLEASE look at Decline and Pinkbike's reviews; polar opposites to the clueless idiots at MBA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've been thinking about a Perp as well mostly because of a team discount. But I can only vouch for the Uzzi. I've been riding an Uzzi SL for five or six years and I can definitely say the bike is highly flickable and eats up bumps and drops. I live on the East Coast, but the bike really came alive when I shipped it out West and hit up some BC-style runs in Oregon. I don't know how the're designing them now, but on mine, you can adjust the frame geometry to make it more of an XC setup. I usually ran it in the FR setup. With a Saint crank, I never had a problem working hard and grunting out the miles to get some payback coming back down. The Perp looks nice, and of course the video clip hits all the right buttons. But don't rule out the Uzzi. I've been happy with mine for quite some time.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Tranquilo
    Yes the newest Uzzis are a work of art. They can tackle anything and are easily DH race ready (albeit not the hardcore world cup DH racing). Everyone that has ever had an Uzzi loved it (from what I've been told). The one complaint (if any) is the 67 deg HA. Once they increased their skills to the point of bombing down DH runs, they said the bike wasn't as stable at speed.

I'm still not ruling out the Uzzi...but I'm also very impressed with the Perp now.

mtbr member
    Isn't the Perp though only 1 degree different at 66?

Adrenaline Junkies Unite!
    Aug 2006
    Both are capable bikes. The Uzzi is highly regarded and rightfully so. It seemed to be built to be the "versatile" bike. Meaning it tries to please everyone. With that it can be the jack of all trades but the master of none. Don't get me wrong...it's an awesome bike and will make any FR'der happy.

The Perp is awesome. I love the 66 degree HA. It's a bike that is meant to be a FR huckable bike that can be pedaled. It can handle technical descents with the best of them and is stable at speed.

It's unfortunate that Cdale doesn't put as much into marketing as other do, otherwise the Perp would be a lot more popular (IMO). However, that's not necessarily a bad thing right? At any rate, we'll be doing a custom Perp bike with some of our prototype parts. The color scheme, weight and durability will be out of this world.

I think you'll be happy with either bike. For a versatile ride that will go anywhere (but maybe not master one)...the Uzzi is your rig. For bike that was meant to be in the air and to bomb down the mountain specifically...the Perp is your rig. You'll feel more on "top" of the Uzzi and more "in cockpit" with the Perp. With that said, I feel the Uzzi is slightly better at pedaling (although the Perp is great too) while the Perp is more comfortable bombing down mountains. My personal vote is being more comfortable and stable at DH speeds.

Good luck!
    Eric @ Wicked Adrenaline
    Wicked Adrenaline, Inc
    www.wickedadrenaline.com
    Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/wickedstreetteam

mtbr member
    Check out this clip to see a Perp in action.