mtbr member
    Jul 2010

New question here. Hello - Suggestions for upgrades

Hello all,

I am new to the forums here at MTBR, and I am also relatively new to trail riding. I live in south florida and frequent quiet waters as well as markham park.

I bought a Cannondale F5 CO2 about 2-3 years ago, rode a lot when I first bought it, then dropped out of the game for a while. I am now back into riding and really enjoying it more than ever. I am at the point now where I would really like to start upgrading certain parts of the bike that I feel fall short in performance when riding the trails.

The first change I made to the bike were the pedals. I decided that I did not want to use clip ins, and went with my first upgrade being Atomlab Pimplite platform pedals. So far I have no complaints on these, they are great pedals and they have really increased my confidence on rugged downhills.

As for future upgrades, I am considering upgrading my brakes. The bike comes with Avid BB5's, and at my size (6'4" 225lbs), they seem to be having a little trouble stopping me. I have seen others recommend upgrading the rotors to BB7's and that making a difference - thoughts? 2 of my friends run hydrollic brakes, and those have no problem stopping me. What are the best hydrollic brakes to get (least maintenance, highly reliable, etc)? I am also wondering the benefits of putting wider tires on the bike. Right now I still have the stock tires size 2.10. My friends bikes all have 2.35, what are the benefits of running wider tires? If I were to upgrade, what would be a competitive option? Will a wider tire even fit on my stock rim? I also noticed that people have staggered wheel sizes (bigger in front than in back), what is the benefit of this?

I also have a few minor things that need to be repaired. First, the stock gear shifter stopped showing what gear I am in - what would be a decent replacement for this? Next, I bent my rear rim and need to replace that as well. I really like the stock black rim and would like to at least get another rim that matches - finding a stock one would be ideal. However, I can't seem to find that rim online anywhere - suggestions?

Any other things that riders of this bike would consider changing from the stock setup? This has been my only real mountain bike, so im not even 100% sure what upgrades make big differences.

I realize this is a lot of writing and I am sorry for that. Just a newb looking for some insight. thanks in advance.

~edit before flames~
    I have looked in the reviews, but there are so many different products as well as many different types of riders that it is somewhat overwhelming. Just looking for some opinions.
    Last edited by jauld; 08-16-2010 at 03:06 PM.