mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Headwrench multi tool question

I just got the multi tool and have a couple of questions. When I installed the tool in the steerer tube for some reason it didn't felt secure to me, it's not a tight fit. In fact I turned my bike upside down just to see if the tool would stay in place in the event of a crash and bingo, it fell from the stem. This shouldn't happen.

Anyone else have this problem? Is your multi tool a tight fit between it and the stem?

I'm using the XC3 integrated stem by the way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Mine is fairley snug and has never fallen out on me. I'm not sure if the XC3 stem is stock for the leftys, but if its not I would guess that is your problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    mine has fallen out but only cause i didnt quite put the levers back in their slot...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyinsydney
    mine has fallen out but only cause i didnt quite put the levers back in their slot...
    Mine is fairly snug also. Did some downhill on rocky terrrain and it has not fallen out. I do not have the new XC3 stem though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have the XC3 integrated stem/steerer and mine fits well in both of the stems I have. Make sure that the rubber O-ring is properly installed at the top of the tool. If that isn't the problem, take it back to your C'dale dealer and show it to them. A thicker O-ring may be the ticket or maybe they'll swap it out if there is manufacturing problem. I had heard that the first run of the tools had some sort of fit problems (I thought it was that they were too tight in the XC3i....can't remember)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have an older one and one wrap of electical tape over the O-ring makes it fit nice in it's home!
    It's all ball bearings these days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'll try to find a thicker o-ring and see what happens, I'll keep you updated

mtbr member
    Mine was snug, but seems to have loosened up. The lower hex wrenches swing around loosely, and the tire irons fall off easily. Tonight when riding, the tire irons slipped off inside the steer tube while riding, causing the cap on the bottom of the steering tube to fall off. The tire irons dropped out of the steering tube and went flying everywhere. Kinda a neat effect when they hit the spinning tire and go rocketing all over the trail, but not quite what I had in mind. Luckily I found the steer tube cap and irons.

Has anyone figured out how to tighten the tool up?
    Is there a screw under the little round rubber thing right next to the "e" in Cannondale on the tool? I tried to gently pry the rubber thing off, hoping to find a screw or nut/bolt combo underneath, but it doesn't want to come off. Don't wanna force it cause I'm not sure if it's suppose to come off.

Has anyone been able to tighten the thing up?

Help!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Just figured it out...

Those little round rubber covers right next to the "e" in Cannondale do come off.
    I just wasn't prying hard enough.
    There's a 3mm (i think) hex on each side, just tightened them up, now the whole thing is snug.

Of course, you need two 3mm hex wrenches to pull this off or they just spin, and the one built into the head wrench won't quite reach lol.
    Maybe they'll they'll come out with a Headwrench Tool tool.

[Edit - my problem was not the snugness of the tool in the steer tube, that fits fine.
    The tire irons/hex wrenches were loose)
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yes when you tighten all those little screws up it gets nice and tight just like prom night...I mean like when it was new. Keeps the tire levers in alot snuger.