mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Headshok upgrade?

I was thinking of upgrading my fork. I currently have the p bone M. What is the next step up? How and where would I find one that matches my bikes color (viper red)? How much would it cost?

Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by gchris
    I was thinking of upgrading my fork. I currently have the p bone M. What is the next step up? How and where would I find one that matches my bikes color (viper red)? How much would it cost?
    I reasearched this all recently for my own information...

My conclusion was that I would be best off just upgrading the headshok cartridge inside the fork to air/oil dampening for $200. This also includes a lockout.

The cartridge has to be ordered from Cannondale and they are different for every length of travel fork.

mtbr member
    If money is no object, I'd recommend upgrading to a Lefty. I wanted to upgrade my Ultra DL to a Lefty but the cost was too high. I ended up putting a RS psylo on it to add some travel.

The Ultral DL is a great fork for most x-country riding, but I wanted something that could take bigger hits, since the terain around here can be very rocky and technical. The Psylo can be dialed out from 80mm to 120.

mtbr member
    I would recommend the lefty dlr as well, but i was on ebay and notice a red (don't know if it's viper red) headshock, think it was a ultra fatty, but the new cartridge you mentioned should make it about the same fork.

MattSavage

Cruise ebay....

You can usually find Lefty"s on there, but then you have to find the wheel and hub, and a front disk brake if you don't already have one. So, it ad's up. But if you're diligant, you can sometimes score. Also, consider the fact that more travel will change your angles, thus handling characteristics.

I'm upgrading an old CADD 2 hardtail with a longer stroke fork, gonna make it a jumper, so I've got some questions to ask as well.

If you want a good, inexpensive fork, go with a Manitou Black. They're all over for dirt cheap. I bought an Elite 100/120 for my new FS and I love it. But if you're over 170#, go with a stiffer spring kit than stock.

MattSavage

I have a Fatty 70...

I"ll sell you! It's black and yellow and might need a rebuild! Come on!!! You know you want it!