mtbr member

Headshok Super Fatty DL Air Cartridge Problems

My brother just picked up a 2004 F600 and the fork won't hold air. The air cartridge is actually spinning around inside the fork when there is little or no air in the fork. It will lose air in about 15 minutes, I can't hear any sort of leak. What rebuild kit should I be looking for? I haven't found much online about this with a couple hours of research. Everything I'm finding is post 2004.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Cannondale Experts is about the only place I know of that sells kits etc on line. No idea if they have any for that fork or not...

You're going to need tools too, just FYI. Castle tool, Bullet tool, and shaft clamps for starters.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I (may be completely wrong) was under an impression that with this fork there is an air cartridge that I can just "drop in", as it was explained to me by someone at the shop. I'll have to take the internals out, but won't need any special tools.

You'll need the Castle tool to remove the internals, so yes, you'll need special tools.

If the air seals are shot, and leaking, chances are pretty strong that the oil seals (and oil itself) are equally old, and in need of attention.

There isn't a new "cartridge" that just drops in complete, they don't work that way, at least not for routine service.

Any seal kit you'd buy, would contain the damper seals too.

Just fixing the air would be like putting on pants and not bothering to do the fly up, since the button holds them in place....

Add to that the telescope is in an equal state of need, and that the whole thing is supposed to be serviced annually, and you should start to pick up on what I'm putting down.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    This is where things get weird I guess because I talked to the previous owner and he just had all of the oil seals replaced, but did nothing with the air seals because he thought they were fine or at least that's what I'm assuming. What worries me is that the air chamber is spinning inside the fork. I noticed this when trying to tighten the valve core thinking that may be a solution. I was told that's bad...and I unfortunately know nothing about this type of suspension.

That it's spinning most likely just means it isn't inflated. Air pressure helps keep it in place.

That being said though, who knows what the service that was done, entailed, and what parts might have been left out.

I've seen so many forks missing parts that some shop or shade tree wrench thought were extraneous, and left out.

Does the air chamber move upward if you push on it, or just spin?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I don't believe it can be pushed up...

Well, that's better for two reasons, less chance of missing parts, and less chance the damper is really loose.

Either way, I'd tear it all down and build it back up. Worth it, and these forks run great when they're well tuned.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Next step: finding the tools and parts! (Or someone who wants to do it) haha