mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Headshok Moto FR performance

Hi all, I recently fished my old '99 Super V Freeride out the garage with a view to doing it up a bit. Having ridden it for the first time in years I noticed the rebound on its Moto FR forks (the chunky yellow ones) seems to be crazy fast with a noticeable top out clunk, even dialled back to its slowest setting. Other than than that the forks still seem to work surprisingly well.

It is so long since I rode it I can't remember if the forks were always like that. So, is the top out and fast rebound a problem inherent with the forks or is the damping shot? Turning the rebound dial does seem to work (I can make the rebound even faster) so it can't be completely wrecked. I have seen some people's instructions on how to do a full service of the forks on here and I may do that, but only if it is likely to stop this rebound issue.

Anyone got a fully functional pair they can comment on?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Fr repair

Here is my link for breakdown and repair. It sounds like you may have lost some oil in the damper so when it gets to the last bit it clunks up. It may also sound squishy with air bubbles. It could be a simple oil change to start. The elastomer may be shot inside the spring chamber so it may be powdered cheese. If you don't want to tackle it. Mendon cycle smith is the best in North America. His info is in my link. Good luck I love mine. It is better now than when I bought it in 99.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3x...E1LS2h4b0JZbkE

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for this! Unfortunately the bike is back in the garage while I'm abroad, but hopefully one day I'll get a chance to pull it out again in the not too distant future. These instructions, and you saying your fork is better now than it ever was, give me confidence and inspiration though