mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Idea! Headshok leaking oil

My 1999 Cannondale Super Fatty D Headshok fork leaks oil when on its side. Leak comes from the bottom/under the steerer tube & sometimes gets onto the top of the fork blades. It happens very slowly, like overnight. I have never seen it drip out. It takes about a few days for the leak to hit the floor. I hang my bike vertically on the wall via a Racor Solo Bike Rack. That puts the fork on its side or actually 190 degrees. Initially it didn't leak when the fork was vertical. But now it seems like it does leak a bit vertically. That may be because I turned the damping dial recently, to try to stop the leakage. I don't know how to use the damping dial. I read elsewhere that someone had this same problem & their LBS said that it's normal seepage. Any thoughts? If it needs fixing how much would it cost? Thanks
    Headshok leaking oil-2263-snipped_mtbr.jpgHeadshok leaking oil-2264-snipped_mtbr.jpg

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Oil loss is a sign that your fork needs service. Find a service center that works for you, and get it done.

Just like with drivetrains, tire pressure, hydraulic disc brakes, periodic maintenance keeps things running smoothly. Ignored, they start to run like crap.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Oil loss is a sign that your fork needs service. Find a service center that works for you, and get it done.

Just like with drivetrains, tire pressure, hydraulic disc brakes, periodic maintenance keeps things running smoothly. Ignored, they start to run like crap.
    Thanks Mendon. I'm actually trying to sell it. It's a 1999 Cannondale HeadShok Super Fatty D (HF99SFD) 80mm. How much would you say it's worth in this condition?

PS. I was thinking of sending it out for repair but i heard one guy had the problem come back in 6 months. And i don't think it would make sense for me to charge such a high price after fixing it.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheeSuperUberV View Post
    Thanks Mendon. I'm actually trying to sell it. It's a 1999 Cannondale HeadShok Super Fatty D (HF99SFD) 80mm. How much would you say it's worth in this condition?

PS. I was thinking of sending it out for repair but i heard one guy had the problem come back in 6 months. And i don't think it would make sense for me to charge such a high price after fixing it.
    Not if Mendon services it. That man is the Headshok service MASTER SUPREME....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Not if Mendon services it. That man is the Headshok service MASTER SUPREME....
    That's great to hear, but problem is this fork in excellent condition is probably worth $300ish. That is how much it's gonna cost me to repair it before i sell it. No one would pay $600 for this fork, even after having been serviced & then boxed away. I could go down to $500 but still i doubt anyone would buy it. Right now I'm writing a description of it as is & thinking of how much to put it for sale :/

PS. I see you're a mod now. Congrats!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheeSuperUberV View Post
    That's great to hear, but problem is this fork in excellent condition is probably worth $300ish. That is how much it's gonna cost me to repair it before i sell it. No one would pay $600 for this fork, even after having been serviced & then boxed away. I could go down to $500 but still i doubt anyone would buy it. Right now I'm writing a description of it as is & thinking of how much to put it for sale :/
    $100-150/TOPS/shipped will have that fork working like NEW again!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    $100-150/TOPS/shipped will have that fork working like NEW again!
    I gave it some more thought, but i don't wanna deal with it. I eBay'd it with the proper description. It's up to the buyer if he/she wants to have it serviced or ride it as is.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Well....

As for the problem coming back, yep, it happens. Will it in your case? No way to tell at this point. The older a fork gets, the more wear it develops, and the more frequently it'll need to be serviced.

A fork that old, the Cannondale recommended annual service (that many owners ignore for YEARS) should be able to keep it in check.

Ones that go 6 months likely have internal damage causing the issue, at a minimum, you ought to be informed of that when you get it looked at, just so you are aware.

Your fork? If it gets $300, I'll buy you a beer. Basically new take offs are selling at that price, and through the Cannondale fork trade in program, you can buy a new one for close to that price. Average older fork will get maybe $100 to 200 depending on the usual group of factors.

If the thing is smooth, and just pukey, more than a service and maybe a boot shouldn't be required. Well under $100, at least in my neck of the woods.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Well....

As for the problem coming back, yep, it happens. Will it in your case? No way to tell at this point. The older a fork gets, the more wear it develops, and the more frequently it'll need to be serviced.

A fork that old, the Cannondale recommended annual service (that many owners ignore for YEARS) should be able to keep it in check.

Ones that go 6 months likely have internal damage causing the issue, at a minimum, you ought to be informed of that when you get it looked at, just so you are aware.

Your fork? If it gets $300, I'll buy you a beer. Basically new take offs are selling at that price, and through the Cannondale fork trade in program, you can buy a new one for close to that price. Average older fork will get maybe $100 to 200 depending on the usual group of factors.

If the thing is smooth, and just pukey, more than a service and maybe a boot shouldn't be required. Well under $100, at least in my neck of the woods.
    Thank you for the info Mendon. I appreciate it