mtbr member

Headshok FATTY - Steerer Tube hole

Hi folks

On the Headshok FATTY steerer tube there is a hole on the side as shown in the picture below

Please can somebody confirm the purpose of this hole? My guess is this is a hole for injecting either some sort of OIL or GREASE, if so please can somebody suggest which oil/grease I should use otherwise please explain the purpose of this hole?

Headshok FATTY - Steerer Tube hole-img_5545.jpg

I have reviewed the Headshok service manual but it doesnt mention that hole at all.

thanks

mtbr member
    I think I have found out what the hole is for. I found a procedure on the sheldonbrown website that says that the hole is a breather hole. The breather hole allows air to flow when the suspension is compressing and expanding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yep that's what it's for. If it gets blocked with gunk / grease the air will escape through the boot instead, as the zip-tie seal isn't perfect. But it makes a kinda gasping noise, and will draw in moisture which probably isn't something you want...

Leftys had breather holes just above the boot, and they had a foam filter on them to prevent water ingress. New lefties don't seem to have them at all, which makes me wonder how they deal with volume compensation within the telescope.

Just a flesh wound
    That thing is looking pretty rough..
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    That thing is looking pretty rough..
    Hey Julio. A little bit of surface rust at the bottom of the inner steerer tube isn't uncommon or a problem. As long as the bearing races and needle bearings are void of any corrosion and are sliding smoothly and well lubricated that's the main thing. further up the inner steerer tube is clean too.

I recently received those folks on a Super V purchase and all is well.

Just a flesh wound
    I'm glad to know that. I have a Fatty from a Raven and an Ultra from a Jekyll. I have too many old parts lying around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Headshok FATTY - Steerer Tube hole-head-shox.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'm glad to know that. I have a Fatty from a Raven and an Ultra from a Jekyll. I have too many old parts lying around.
    Hey Julio

Are you looking to sell them Headshoks or are you keeping? If selling, please state the condition of the oil dampers and air/coil springs. Its common for the damper to loose oil and then all resistance which means replacing oil and possible seal kit by expert hands. As for the air spring, if it isn't holding air then it could possibly be made good with a seal kit. If its coil spring with MCU then as long as the MCU is intact then great otherwise replacing the MCU can be expensive or impossible depending on the spring kit.

I now have four Cannondales. A Super V 1000 FR with MotoFR forks and a F900 with FATTY D forks, Behold my current project which is in the works:

One is FATTY D and one is FATTY SL, both I shall paint Viper Red with new decals
    Headshok FATTY - Steerer Tube hole-img_5540.jpg

Just a flesh wound
    The Blue Ultra has been regularly serviced by Craig at Mendon. It is in good shape. The other red Fatty came on a Prophet that I bought from a guy who got it as a replacement frame for his Raven. I put a Lefty Max 140 on it. I don't know the condition of the Fatty internally. I'd be happy to let them go, so pm me if interested and I will look more into the Fatty for condition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Headshok FATTY - Steerer Tube hole-mendon.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Hi there, are you selling the blue one? im very interested!

send me an email: xjames_lord@hotmail.com