mtbr member

Headshok Fatty D options

After all these years my '98 Fatty D needs a rebuild. As this thing's so old I'm wondering if the hot tip is to upgrade it instead of rebuild as-is. I don't have an unlimited budget, but any advice on the smartest move here would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Use the lefty for all program and use the old shock to get a new lefty

LA CHÈVRE
    Or a new OPI Headshok:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Headshok Fatty D options-2a7f66c025.jpg  

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Depends on a your elastomer.

If it has no bounce, then likely your elastomers have converted themselves to pasta topping, and you can't source new ones, man do I wish you could....

New fork time.

If the bounce it still there, it can likely be rehabbed, for far less than any alternatives out there, other than just riding it as is....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What is the lefty for all program? My headshock 70 is also on its way out. It still has bounce, however. how much is a rebuild?

Thanks

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrayn70
    What is the lefty for all program? My headshock 70 is also on its way out. It still has bounce, however. how much is a rebuild?

Thanks
    If it's the same program it's always been, but with a new name, they basically give you about 30% off a new fork. A Headshock retails for about $550, a top end Lefty, about $1300. Your discount wold be off that.

The 70's are air sprung, and thus, not prone to elastomer "parmesanification".

They do have their own paleolithic perils, as some had a larger diameter cartridge shaft, which makes parts if needed, much rarer. Most other forks share a common diameter, thus, parts are much more easy to find, even if no longer made.

Prices vary depending on who you go with. I've heard them as high as a couple hundred bucks for lots of parts needed, at a high cost shop, to around $50 for a total service with no other new parts than seals, at a shop set up to work on them, but doesn't have as much tied up in high overhead costs, IE, your local LBS, should you be so fortunate to have one that does them.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What are my options and/or what do I need to do to swith to a regular fork? How much am I looking at spending for adpaters and what not? What sort of fork do I need?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Doesn't Manitou make a fork that'll fit in a Cannondale headtube?

LA CHÈVRE
    Manitou or others, you would need a conversion headset or reducing cups to fit 1.125" steerers, 1.5" steerers or tapered steerers. A 1.5 headset fits in a Cannondale frame but a 1.5 fork doesn't fit in a Cannondale SI headset as a Headshok or Lefty has a slightly bigger steerer than 1.5".

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have seen manitou forks that measure 1.5. Are you saying that i can't take the 1.5 headshok out and put in the manitou? Shat does cannondale si mean? My bike is a Super V Raven 2000.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Super Fatty Ultra

I am putting a lefty on my HT , will sell the Super Fatty Ultra on ebay soon , polish silver in airplane rivit graphic, 80mm with lockout , oil and air cartidge , 100 % leak free , how much do you think it is worth?