mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Headshok bearing races

Finally got my new f4000 frame built up, in time for our second race here in Georgia. Super cool ride. I have a question about the headshok, though.
    A friend of mine said that the bearing races are steel in the headshok and that I need to be really careful about them if I ever ride in the wet. He suggested that after a wet ride that I move the boot out of the way of the bearing races and make sure that everything up there was good and dry. Otherwise, he said, I run the risk of letting the races rust, rendering the shock useless.
    Is this something that I realistically need to worry about?

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    Finally got my new f4000 frame built up, in time for our second race here in Georgia. Super cool ride. I have a question about the headshok, though.
    A friend of mine said that the bearing races are steel in the headshok and that I need to be really careful about them if I ever ride in the wet. He suggested that after a wet ride that I move the boot out of the way of the bearing races and make sure that everything up there was good and dry. Otherwise, he said, I run the risk of letting the races rust, rendering the shock useless.
    Is this something that I realistically need to worry about?
    Well if you frequently completely submerge the fork, then yes, you should worry about it, as well as every other bearing on your bike. For just riding in wet conditions then you should have no problem, as long as the boot has no tears or holes and both zip ties are in place and tight. Checking the boot frequently for tears is a very good idea however. Any water that does get inside the boot can wreak havoc
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815