mtbr member
    Sep 2011

HeadShok alternatives?

Hi guys

I have a 2008 Cannondale F3 with a HeadShok Super Fatty Ultra DLR, 80 mm. I'm wanting to swap the headshock out as the bike is mainly a commuter now. Apart from the problems of the headset size which i assume i can get a reducer for, i've also heard that most rigid forks will cause you to be positioned further over the handlebars (akin to larger headtube angle). Making the bike more skittish.

Does anyone know of a rigid for which will swap in without changing the geometry much?

What are the dimensions that i need to pay attention to to make sure the geometry doesn't change? Is it the crown to axle length? Needs to be the same and not smaller?

Thanks in advance

CityWok

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You could save money and time and just lock out the headshok couldn't you? Give you a similar riding experience without changing the height.
    Why do you want to lose the headshok? Weight?
    I don't know of any rigid forks to help you, but if you do get one that isn't exactly the right height you could also try changing the stem length/angle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    the headshok from 2008 is not roadworth, i've had it 3 years, gone through 3 cartridges, worst product ever invented. I've literally been told by the cannondale store not to lock it out and that cannondale headquarters have advised they won't warrant headshoks that have been locked out. suffice to say i'm pretty sure the 2008 style of headshok is discontinued and there's an updated system (?) i assume
    Last edited by orfeo; 09-17-2011 at 12:26 AM.

mtbr member
    That makes absolutely no sense!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    That makes absolutely no sense!!!
    X2

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ahh that was meant to be roadworthy...not roadworth hope that makes sense now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by orfeo View Post
    the headshok from 2008 is not roadworth, i've had it 3 years, gone through 3 cartridges, worst product ever invented. I've literally been told by the cannondale store not to lock it out and that cannondale headquarters have advised they won't warrant headshoks that have been locked out. suffice to say i'm pretty sure the 2008 style of headshok is discontinued and there's an updated system (?) i assume
    Wow only the worst product ever invented, thanks for the heads up!
    Forks are for eating, Lefty's are for racing,

mtbr member
    To answer your question:
    If you install a fork with a shorter Axle to crown length and very different rake, the position (seat tube angle, stem height etc...) will be affected and the feeling of the steering will be different ( head tube angle) as well.
    A lot of manufacturers have actually designed rigid forks with so-called suspension-corrected geometry. I have measured my Headshok Fatty D ( I think that's its name) and the Axle to crown length comes at around 470mm. Yours might be a few cm longer.
    The most common option seems to be 29er rigid forks like the Salsa cromoto grande or Surly karate monkey:
    Salsa Cycles | Components
    Karate Monkey Fork | Parts | Surly Bikes

You can find them easily on eBay. These are Steel forks and quite heavy ( i would say 1kg which is slightly lighter than your complete headshok), if you want to go lighter, there are some carbon fiber alternatives. I suggest you check the 29er forum
    Last edited by eric_syd; 09-17-2011 at 01:53 PM.

mtbr member
    I'll take that piece of crap DLR80 off your hands when you're ready to get rid of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    I'll take that piece of crap DLR80 off your hands when you're ready to get rid of it.
    Was thinking exactly the same but I'm on the other side of the world so shipment kinda kills the deal....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    As for head sets I have been running a Cane Creek Double XXc II flush reducer head set in my 2007 Caffeine frame and it works great. Allowed me to lower the stack quite a bit up front. No complaints at all. Just remove the Si cups and press this in like any other head set.