What's "social pace?"
    May 2008

Headshok to 1 1/8 conversion probs

I'm trying to convert my 2002 F3000 SL frame to take a 1 1/8 fork and from all the things I've read here I ordered the FSA Orbit Z 1.5R headset to do it. So I get it today and I place the reducer cups in the tube and it looks like the image below. Did I get the wrong part or do the black things come out or what? What's the deal here and how can I fix it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    The part of the cups that inserts into the headtube is 10mm on each of the reducing cups. The black parts on the headtube allow for ~6mm of insertion. Do they come out? I can't imagine the Cane Creek Double XC short is shallower. Jenson's site says the cups sink in 12mm on that one. Anyone have an answer?

narCOTIC
    Have you used a headset press?

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    No, this is simply from placing the cups into the headtube. The interior diameter of the black parts reduces such that the headset cups wouldn't be able to be further inserted past the point shown.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I think you are trying to use 2 headsets. The black things are bearings which are pressed into the frame. They accept a Headshok or Lefty steerer which is simply held in by the stem clamp bolts. If you are wanting to use a 1.5 headset, reducer or not, you need to drift these bearings out. Personally I'd take the frame to a shop and get them to do it. Even if you are going to junk the bearings I wouldn't want to risk the frame.
    The alternative is to leave the bearings in place and fit reducer cups. Hope this helps. Maybe a better wrench will give you detailed guidance on removing the bearings if you want to diy. I would say don't force the bright parts into the bearings unless you get some more expert advice.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    That's what it looked like to me! I have a few bearings that came with the frame and I think they might happen to fit in the black cups which, I think, would confirm what you've said. It totally looks like the headset will fit if the black things came out. I would DEFINITELY have a shop pull those.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    So can anyone say for sure that those black things are remnants of the headshok headset that need removal or do I need to exchange the headset I purchased?

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    So in my parts box I found the bearings for the frame and they fit right into the black parts so I guess that the black pieces constitute the headset and need to come out.

What sort of tool would be used to remove them?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Try this thread Lefty removal problem... headset bearing stuck on steerer tube... how do I fix? It includes pictures of the correct tools.If all you have left is bearing shells and must diy first off I'd try a hardwood dowel striking at 12 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 9 ...etc.Go steady to start with penetrating oil might help. I've not done this myself on an alu bike frame!