Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Headshock DLR80 Lockout Issue

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Cayenne_Pepa 
#1 ·
I am having an issue with the lockout on my DLR80. Its on a 07 Cannondale F3.

The issue is that the lockout position seems to have spun in a different lockout spot and I am not sure if this is an issue.
When I originally got the bike a couple months ago the lockout was a the 12 o clock position and the unlocked was at 6 o clock. After my last right now it seems like the lockout is at 6 oclock and unlocked at 12.

I dont know how this happened, but it actually changed locked positions as I spun it once. I have a feeling something is loose, but im not sure if I can just screw it in? I cant spin it too far, right?

It doesnt seem like there is an issue with pressure, but I could be wrong. When its locked it doesnt budge, and when its not locked I dont think I hear any clicking. There was only a slight amount of oil around the dial, but it doesnt look like a leak.

I bought the bike used and the person I purchased the bike from said he just had the shock reset. I have put maybe 100 miles on it since then. I will probably take this in to the shop but I don't want to have to do this every 100 miles...

See less See more
#2 ·
It's fine, no worries.

It will spin freely given the chance.

What holds in in position is the cone shaped piece at the top end. If you remove the red rebound knob, and the lock out lever, with a Shimano freewheel tool, you can then tighten that cone/top cap, and it will stay fixed in the position you snugged it.

Of course, that it's loose, does mean that cone is somewhat loose, which is an issue that should be addressed. No tools? Get it to a shop before it unscrews more, and becomes an issue.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. I took it to the shop and they seemed to think it was fine too. Which is a relief.

They didn't mention tightening the cone. Does that require the special tools? Apparently the cannondale dealers in my area do not have the tools required to service these, so I would have to send it away.

#4 ·
All the tools needed to tighten it, are non specialty, regular old tools.

You were talking to someone with rectocranial inversion.....

Ask to speak to a wrench that's older than 15 :)

1.5 mm allen to remove rebound knob.

10 mm socket to remove lockout knob nut.

Shimano freewheel tool to snug cone.

Reverse process.

#5 ·
All the tools needed to tighten it, are non specialty, regular old tools.

You were talking to someone with rectocranial inversion.....

Ask to speak to a wrench that's older than 15 :)

1.5 mm allen to remove rebound knob.

10 mm socket to remove lockout knob nut.

Shimano freewheel tool to snug cone.

Reverse process.
Mine is doing the same: spins round and round and no lockout - just a nasty "thunk" in the fully-compressed state.... even with 110psi. Ugh...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.