Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Which headset do I need to run a tapered fork in a Rize?

I want to run a 1 1/2 to 1 1/8 tapered fork in my Rize. I am getting rid of the Lefty and replacing it with one of the new 150mm Revelation WCs.

What headset options do I have? I am based in US so have access to most manufacturers.

mtbr member
    it will be difficult to find because c'dales 1.5 headtube is somehow different from the industry standard (I won't buy another c'dale for this reason).

Probably you can combine two oe headsets, one made for Rize 4 (a reducer to 1 1/8) and another for Moto (1.5). Talk with LBS, they will order them for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danridesbikes
    did you try?

I have a custom rize build and had to order oe reducer headset because a regular one (reducer) did not fit properly.

UPDATE: i might be wrong but then I was misinformed by my LBS
    Last edited by alex_k; 09-16-2010 at 08:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_k
    did you try?

I have a custom rize build and had to order oe reducer headset because a regular one (reducer) did not fit properly.

UPDATE: i might be wrong but then I was misinformed by my LBS
    The Cannondale bearings Inner Diameter and stem clamps are 1 9/16", slightly bigger than 1.5. The headtubes are a size that quite a few headsets are made for, they have a 49.5 Inner Diameter. This being said, I'm not sure that the headset that was posted that was for sale from CRC would work. Like I said, I'm not sure. If danridesbikes uses it and it works properly, then it is another option.

Cane Creek:

MTBR Review (This review is for the 1.5, the Double XXC is the one that will reduce the Cannondale headtube to 1 1/8"

Cane Creek at RideThis.com

Another option which probably works well, but I would only use it temporarily is the problem solvers kit:

Link to TreeFortBikes.com

Hope this helps, I think someone will chime in with more headset options.

mtbr member
    Just realized you need tapered...I'll leave the above post the same for informational purposes for other interested.

Cannondale's Ask Brad section has this for a similar question:

This comes from the Ask Brad bit of the Cannondale website...

Quote Originally Posted by Cannondale Ask Brad
    "Posted on: February 3, 2009 8:38 am
    Hi Brad,
    My old Headshock is getting tired and I want to replace it with a 1 1/8 steerer tube fork. What reducer headset does Cannondale recomend for XC bikes.
    Thanks, Stephen
    Boo to getting rid of the headshok design. Any 1.5″ to 1 1/8 headset will be fine. Don’t forget to get a 1 1/8 stem and get ready for a sticton filled twisty ride! -BRAD"
    Although this is for a standard 1.5 to 1.125, I think the same would apply to a tapered. I think it would work for any standard tapered headset.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I think the C'Dale is a 1.5" apart from the Headshok models which were bigger?

So a standard 1.5" tapered reducer headset should work?!

mtbr member
    This is the headset that came on my Fox Talas equipped Rize ( not tapered)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=10125

As you can see its designed to fit right into the cups on the Rize. From the looks of the NC-17 Imperator S-Pro Tapered Headset posted in this thread, it looks like it will not fit into the cups, although i could be wrong!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chick0
    This is the headset that came on my Fox Talas equipped Rize ( not tapered)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=10125

As you can see its designed to fit right into the cups on the Rize. From the looks of the NC-17 Imperator S-Pro Tapered Headset posted in this thread, it looks like it will not fit into the cups, although i could be wrong!
    I think you are right. I recall my story now. My LBS ordered a regular reducer for me but its cups were too tall and they could not press it in so they had to order oe headset.

if you look at the manual you can see that but unfortunately there is no sizing. Roughly the internal part is about 7mm.

Danridesbikes, your did not try the suggested headset
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which headset do I need to run a tapered fork in a Rize?-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Interesting and timely post but still not answering my question.

I have a 2008 Prophet (conventional Fox 140mm fork) and was looking at the same RS 150mm fork as the original poster with tapered steerer. I figured why not get the tapered steerer for the additional strength it could provide but the head set thing is super confusing. I'm thinking I would need 2 seperate headsets to do what I want to do (or just leave my current top one alone since it's already 1/18"), however, I'm not sure there is a lower cup part even made that would go into the Prophet frame (49.6mm) and have the 1.5" steerer diameter bearing setup. I think the Moto uses this but the cup insertion depth is deeper than the Prophet it looks like. I also need at least 10mm stack height on the bottom so forks tops don't hit cables on the downtube. The Cane Creek Double X short would fit but reduces for 1 1/8" steerer as they all seem to do which fit the big CD head tube. Freaking confusing. Yeah I know just get the non taperd fork and it's easy but I love to be difficult.

Thoughts......
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    The 2011 Cdale Jekyll's come with Tange Seiki 1.5", integrated headsets. It might be possible to mix and match the bottom cup of this Tange Seiki headset, and the top cup of a FSA Orbit Z 1.5 reducer, to give you the tapering you need.

I also noticed on the link below that the pre-production Jeylls have a Cane Creek 1.5" integrated headset, so it seems there might be a few on the market.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/06/21/...tain-category/

I'm with stupid
    Any follow up on this? Im trying to get everything lined up then i can sell off my lefty and crossmax st front to recoupe some losses. Does anyone know if this will fit/work? Im trying to slacken out the front end to around 67 degrees.
    http://www.bikebling.com/Cane-Creek-...leset-1deg.htm

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck
    Any follow up on this? Im trying to get everything lined up then i can sell off my lefty and crossmax st front to recoupe some losses. Does anyone know if this will fit/work? Im trying to slacken out the front end to around 67 degrees.
    I'm thinking yes it will work with a 1 1/8" fork. The internal head tube size of the Rize like my Prophet is 49.56mm according to the pic. Cannondale sent me. That is the 1.5" standard spec. Here is what they wrote to me

The Prophet headtube is HeadShok, OnePointFive and 1 1/8 w/reducer compatible.
    A standard 1.5” headset cup with press in and there shouldn’t be any issue or concern with the cup depth.

I wanted to use a tapered fork and was worried the insertion depth wasn't enough for the 1.5" standard spec size which is 25mm. Outwardly on my Prophet frame it appears as though it might be about 10mm because of the flared sections top/bottom but what CD is telling me you can get a full 25mm insertion depth cup into it. I need an external cup for my Prophet so I can use the Cane Creek XX-II bottom or the 110-1.5 bottom for the tapered steerer tube. Your Rize I have seen both ways using a conventional fork depending on year. Some with an external cup bottom assy. like my Prophet and some and the flush/integrated looking setups on newer Rizes. CD is telling me it will go in so I think it should go in yours as well. I'm gonna take mine apart and have a look inside and maybe you should do the same to be safe.

Does that help at all I hope?

mtbr member
    If you asking about Rize then no because the headset bottom cup is too tall

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you asking about Rize then no because the headset bottom cup is too tall
    Ummm.....I think your wrong about that. Have a look at this Cane Creek link

http://www.canecreek.com/AngleSet

Cannondale uses both lower bearing types on the Rize so either should work. To slacken you can always get a slightly longer fork or try a 650B wheel besides the headset change.

Here a 2010 Rize with integrated cup lower http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...RZ-One-Forty-4

Here a 2008 with an external cup Orbit Z lower (like my Prophet) http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...26-9VT4-Rize-4
    Last edited by skidad; 10-23-2010 at 03:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad
    Ummm.....I think your wrong about that. Have a look at this Cane Creek link

http://www.canecreek.com/AngleSet
    exactly, the headset is tooo tall. Look at my attachment above (pic 24 on the left). The bottom is very short (about 7 mm) and does not have any flanges (integrated?) so the rize head tube machined to support it. if it would be machined for a normal headset the default one would not be possible install. Alternatively Cannondale provides another lower cup (pic 24 on the right) also with short insertion depth.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ok I see what you are saying (and yes my head is spinning at the possibilities here) however....my guess, and this is without taking it apart is CD is not using a true IS machined into the head tube setup but a pressed in low profile semi IS system. I still think a regular 1.5" standard spec bearing cup can be pressed in. I do not know for sure and heck, we don't even know the exact model or year of Rize this guy has. We do know he had a Lefty which means Headshock std which means the 1.5" std spec not IS. The very small flange on the Cane Creek would add just the slightest bit of slack and he wanted more anyway.

What do you think?

I'm with stupid
    Its a 2009 rize 3 alum. Im trying to slacken it out a bit to make a super d race bike. I cant get my lefty pbr to feel right. Looks like i will just try to find a 1 1/8th fork with as close to 530mm as i can without going over with the headset cups. Just wanted to keep the front end/ bottom bracket low.

mtbr member

I'm with stupid
    yep that looks about what im looking to do. off topic how do you like the pike on the front?

mtbr member
    yep that looks about what im looking to do. off topic how do you like the pike on the front?
    I like it. I can dial the fork u-turn for different trails (less travel for twisty singletracks and more rocks). The maintenance is very simple. The downside is its weight.

and I will be honest I'm more XC than really AM rider,,, however I have made some progress in AM direction since I got the Rize.

I'm with stupid
    Cool thanks, I guess i will just end up with a stock headset reducer and go from there, right after i unload my lefty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Did you use a stock cannodale headset or aftermarket....thx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    Did you use a stock cannodale headset or aftermarket....thx
    a stock cannodale headset made by cane creek

mtbr member
    May 2010
    any idea if the FSA Orbit Z 1.5 reducer is the one to use when converting to a tapered fork on a 2012 Cannondale Jekyll carbon 2?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast