mtbr member
    Mar 2008

head shock lost air, now what?

okay so i just got this bike last week off craigslist. today was my second ride with it. i was going up a technical long climb with the lock out on and then i start hearing the shock squeaking. so my lock out is gone and so is my compression. it was terrible, i was able to finish the ride but i had to be careful going back down to not bottom out the shock.

i am new to cannodale stuff, what do i do with this fork? do i go to LBS or cannondale?

mtbr member
    typically your local c-dale dealer would send the fork into cannondale for a rebuild.
    unless...your shop is familiar enought to do it themselves.
    While c-dale cust serv is very good...they always made me go through the lbs.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Sounds like the fork needs servicing. As the other poster alluded to, Cannondale may be able to help, but if the fork is older, they may not take it for service, but recommend a new fork through their trade in program. Saves some bucks over retail, but it still ain't free.

There are a number of places that service Cannondale suspension forks as a business, much like PUSH Industries or Quality Bicycle Products' Shock Treatment Center for example, (though neither do Cannondale stuff though). Some searching will turn up folks that do.

Also worth trying? Get a Schraeder valve core tool, remove the core, grease it and snug it back in place, that's free. Most often, the air piston seals get flattened, hard and tired, A service will replace them (and many others), and the fork will smile again....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Music & Bikes
    What model/year is it ?
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    thanks for the help guys. i am not sure what year it is. it was a build that someone did. its a 2008 frame. it says DRL 80 on it and ULTRA down the sides. thats all i know. i dont even know how it is supposed to come off

Quote Originally Posted by hobiesmith
    thanks for the help guys. i am not sure what year it is. it was a build that someone did. its a 2008 frame. it says DRL 80 on it and ULTRA down the sides. thats all i know. i dont even know how it is supposed to come off
    Look underneath the bottom of the crown, where you put the air in. Is the area around the valve blue? Those are prone to leaking, and there's a retrofit kit that stops the issue. Could be that too. Unless it's blue, then the kits in already.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    There are a number of places that service Cannondale suspension forks as a business, much like PUSH Industries or Quality Bicycle Products' Shock Treatment Center for example, (though neither do Cannondale stuff though). Some searching will turn up folks that do.
    The best of course being Craig/MendonCycleSmith - although his humility possibly combined with a little MTBR policy may prevent him from tooting his own horn.

If you can't fix it yourself, and your LBS can't do it in-house, send it to Craig. Faster/better/less expensive.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

Quote Originally Posted by jdr01930
    although his humility possibly combined with a little MTBR policy may prevent him from tooting his own horn.
    Nah, I just like seeing how long it takes 'em to figure it out

Thanks

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

ride more
    Mar 2007
    2nd the just send it to Craig.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    3rd

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    4th

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    cool, well before i send it off. here's some more info.

i was riding it with the lockout on. well the fork started making loud squeeky noises on every bump and the lockout quit working. it felt squishier than before so i figured it was leaking air, but it never leaked totally out.

well today i aired it up to 140 and it holds air all day, but the lock out still doesnt work. but i didnt ride on it either.

and the plate that the shrader valve pokes thru is blue already, so i must have that upgrade.

what sucks is the guy i bought it off of, said the fork was serviced a few months ago.

btw, so what's it cost to have it serviced? if its more than 100 bucks, i might rather get the adapters and stick a traditional fork on

cool, well before i send it off. here's some more info.

i was riding it with the lockout on. well the fork started making loud squeeky noises on every bump and the lockout quit working. it felt squishier than before so i figured it was leaking air, but it never leaked totally out.

well today i aired it up to 140 and it holds air all day, but the lock out still doesnt work. but i didnt ride on it either.

and the plate that the shrader valve pokes thru is blue already, so i must have that upgrade.

what sucks is the guy i bought it off of, said the fork was serviced a few months ago.

btw, so what's it cost to have it serviced? if its more than 100 bucks, i might rather get the adapters and stick a traditional fork on
    If the lockout has failed, it means one of two things. Either the O ring sealing that circuit has failed or is tired, or, you broke a lockout circuit shim. Both are cheap. As for servicing, you should contact folks directly, these forums aren't for business purposes

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    is it normal for this fork to be like a pogo stick? no matter how much rebound i try to put in it, it reacts the same way. whats the scoop on that?

is it normal for this fork to be like a pogo stick? no matter how much rebound i try to put in it, it reacts the same way. whats the scoop on that?
    With no oil in the damper, or with the circuit shims being broken, yes.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    cool, thanks for your help guys! i guess i will get it serviced then. i'll go search how to remove this thing

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Most bikeshop and even dealer have no clues on how to fix a headshok , just send it to Mendon and your headshok will come back like butter and better then new !
    In addition to his master workmanship , his rate is unbeatable anywhere!

Music & Bikes
    ^^^^^^^ this
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    I've had mine re-built twice now and it still leaks. I have the 07 dlr with the upgraded valve(blue). Is it possible that it's just a bad cartridge? I'm ordering in a new cartridge, should be here in a month but what a pain. Is it the shop or could it be the cartridge?
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13