mtbr member

Have you seen this

Returning to the Cannondale website with the hope of seeing the '08 line I saw this in the news section : Cannondale fully rideable prototype urban bike
    Needless to say the people at Cannondale have done it again and I'm just waiting to see this in the streets!

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    old news.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That's a super cool article. Good to see cannondale staying innovative amongst all the talk of the lefty max demise

mtbr member
    Most urban cyclists are too cheap to spend the money that
    that thing is going to retail for

I doubt the sales will justify the R&D that went into it .

LA CHÈVRE
    People with Audi TT, iPhones and such things would love this. It would probably stay in their garage though, or in their trunks in case they run out of gas.

But it's a prototype, if it ever reaches production (or may not, it's R&D), it might not be as is. I would more realistically see one without the carbon frame, switch the Righty for a righty version of that new rigid Fatty Solo, use cheaper mechanical discs, drop the carbon rims and it could be much more affordable.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Well, imo, that bike can reach production very easily. There aren't too many implications to be solved, and even if with the Righty, it's just a matter of point of view - man, where else could I pull such a joke? - since it may not differ way off from the basis for production of the Lefty. The new SRAM gear is another thing, and even as innovative as it sounds, Shimano already has something similar for comfort bikes. The frame itself may be the easiest part to produce, since it can be done with aluminum and still be light and practical. All in all, it's just design, and design doesn't cost anything, in fact, design is supposed to make things better, easier and cheaper to develop and produce. But one thing was worth noted: that bike may not sell as much as it should, and become an icon of our contemporany age, but with no intend use besides being modern. But who knows?

Anyway, is good to see Cannondale pulling such strong creative efforts to R&D of new concepts. I myself would love to work at Cannondale's R&D or Design dep. Even with such a lofty and futuristic project as this one, they keep it real, and you can see them actualy riding the bike, and that could easily be a production model. That's something amazing, but you can expect nothing less from them.

Like catnip for people
    Just had a thought...

Can anyone imagine how painful it would be having a frame failure while riding that? (Specifically the "Seat stay")

I can just picture it now...