mtbr member
    Apr 2006

have an '09 F4 with a Headshok Fatty DL80. Want to go to a RockShox, quick question

My Headshok is odd, it like gives very little travel, and is super super bouncy. Well it's not that it's bouncy but it slams itself back wide open really quick after a compression.

I would love to try a Lefty but it's far cheaper to go the RockShox route. I am looking at either a Reba or a Recon, depending on what kinda deal I score.

My question is, do I need to stay at 80mm travel or can I look at the 100mm travel forks? I was wondering if having extra travel would affect the geometry at all.

Ridin' dirty!
    Send the fork to Mendon for a service....
    If you really want a different fork check out your manual in which it should state what the maximum axle to crown length for your frame is....I'm guessing that most 100mm forks will be ok though.....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    have you got too much air pressure in it?

there is a set up manual on the c'dale web site, somewhere!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Last time I filled it with air was over a year ago so if I'm guilty of anything its not enough pressure. But I used the psi recommended by cannondale in some online setup guide.

Dumb question but is the air pressure what controls the dampening? Like the more air the faster it rebounds?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    Last time I filled it with air was over a year ago so if I'm guilty of anything its not enough pressure. But I used the psi recommended by cannondale in some online setup guide.

Dumb question but is the air pressure what controls the dampening? Like the more air the faster it rebounds?
    Some of the newer forks have externally adjustable rebound. Assuming yours doesn't, it's controlled via a damping circuit. Depending on the bikes size, they were valved differently.

If you happen to have a smaller frames fork, and weigh a bunch, it may be under valved for your needs. Thicker oil is another way to help control it.

Also possible that the valving is damaged, and not controlling the fork properly.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Mendon, I have the DL80 which just has the lockout, no external rebound (the next model up, the F3, had that in 2009). It is a large Caffeine frame, and I weigh 180 lbs.

What perplexes me is that I asked my LBS what maintenance was needed on this shock, and they said nothing aside from air. I never knew I had to worry about oil or anything.

Trying to figure out how I could have damaged it, I am not very aggressive. Hmm.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    What perplexes me is that I asked my LBS what maintenance was needed on this shock, and they said nothing aside from air. I never knew I had to worry about oil or anything.

Trying to figure out how I could have damaged it, I am not very aggressive. Hmm.
    Well, sorry to say it, but your shop didn't do you any favors.

Cannondale recommends a once a year service. I find you can go longer if you ride less than a few times a week. The tuning of rebound etc, is done via your request at service time. Otherwise, the normal set up should be adequate. If it isn't it may just be that the thing needs servicing....

If you owned it since new and ride as you say, it's unlikely it has internal damage.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com