High Alpine Adventure

Has Cannondale abandoned the Lefty?

I've noticed over the last year that Cannondale isn't spec-ing the Lefty 2.0 on the high-end Habit (2019) or Trigger. Is it now a special order option or is it no longer a product? But why Cannondale, buy why?
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    In their obsessive drive for ever increasing profits, they redesigned themselves into a corner.

Made the fork incredibly maintenance intensive, and not keeping up with said maintenance, intolerably painful, financially, for the bike owner.

Reduced the number of service outlets to two (in the US) thus limiting options, experiences, and personal choices.

Made them heavier, but less durable, bootless but more delicate.

Did I mention the super high cost of upkeep?

They took a fantastic, unique, plush, active suspension fork option, that yes, was a bit of a head ache for some to get worked on, and amped up the whole issue to eleven.

Can't tell you how many of my long time (many 10, 15 years +) customers have said, "this will be the last Cannondale I ever buy" in the last year or three. Pretty telling.

Add tot hat, a corporate culture that has gone from supportive of passionate customers, to seeing everyone as a number on a spread sheet and a walking ATM machine for them, and the writing is on the wall for the brand as a whole, not just the Lefty.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat View Post
    I've noticed over the last year that Cannondale isn't spec-ing the Lefty 2.0 on the high-end Habit (2019) or Trigger. Is it now a special order option or is it no longer a product? But why Cannondale, buy why?
    Ocho only on the race bikes I think. For those who don't need to worry about getting their forks serviced because their mechanics and sponsors will sort that for them.

Every day people want stuff that just works, even if you push it past the service intervals a bit. And stuff that you can realistically keep going by tinkering at home. 2.0 practically has you recording a diary of hours used and explodes immediately and expensively if you do over 100hrs (50 racing ).

Unless you have the special tools you can do nothing at home. Even if you do there's a fair chance you'll do more harm than good.

So yeah I think they've binned it.

Just think about that.

They spent a ton of $ to redesign it with no boot at first..

Then spent MORE, putting the finicky 2.0 damper out, and redoing the fork for 2.0 too. Both of which, effectively do nothing, functionally different than the 1.0 Hybrid.

All, to bin it shortly thereafter, due to problems related to their redesigns.

If I were to tell you that's what I was doing, as a company, and you were an investor, or a consultant, or, hell, anyone with a brain and a pulse, wouldn't you call bullsh*t on that thought path?

All, when they had a totally functional, known quantity that was doing pretty well, with the booted forks?

They'd have better served themselves, to let them run, and come out with the Ocho for those who have a full support crew, money to burn, and just want something weird looking, and the booted ones just weren't quite weird enough yet....

Ah well, sanity, decency, and brains left that company several years ago when they fired the remaining staff and hired a bunch of fresh faces who all leave within a year. Had more inside rep and tech staff changes in the last 4 or so years than I did in the previous 20.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yeah. It's real sad times. To be fair, I doubt anyone there planned or expected or planned the 2.0 to be the mess up it was, and I'd imagine a career or two took a nosedive in the aftermath.

And all that effort and bad karma to consolidate servicing to a couple of locations...then bin the thing you service. Bonkers.

Meanwhile the bike press are fawning over the new dull-as-fck identikit Habit.

Shrugs.

It's why I really do't pay much attention to main stream stuff any more, or, the media that fawns over it.

Why do the media love it? Dollars.

Why did Cannondale do what they did? Dollars.

I'm not sure, regarding them knowing or not, that the 2.0 was going to be a waste of effort though. I just don't think they even cared. They had the money, and the market demands things be new, and shiny, and different every year or the perception is, you're off the back.

They had a design that did what they wanted, fail miserably, and quickly, and the repair dollars flowed like wine. So, they said, let's change the top end design, make everything a little larger in diameter and heavier, but keep every bad aspect of the previous bad design. In this case, the bad elements were the things that made their cash register ring, so of course, you wouldn't change that.

Whole thing makes me angry, and sad....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

High Alpine Adventure
    Wow, thanks Craig for your "real world" perspective, I always appreciate your insight! I hope you are still rebuilding them! I had planned to send you one this winter when I take a break from riding.

I have a 2015 Trigger with the 2.0. They sent me a letter on a "free factory upgrade", but I never took advantage of it. Sounds like maybe I'm better off that I didn't. I haven't had issues with it and it seems to be working well... knock on wood!

I still have the older style PBR's on my 29'er and my Rush 650b Hybrid. Sounds like I better not let any of those go.

So what is the parts situation? Are they running out all the NOS until which time we're all SOL?
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    As I have said in another thread, my '12 Lefty XLR is more plush than my '18 Rock Shox SID fork. The fork works, but I still think my Lefty is a better fork. Debating swapping the XLR to the Scalpel. Would just be weird having two different wheels on the Scalpel since I have a Reynolds wheel on the XLR now.
    '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 Eagle
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..

Yep, still working on plenty of them, hope to be for a good while to come too.

Parts aren't a real problem, been sourcing the vast bulk of them independent of Cannondale for a while now, and for a variety of reasons.

10 years from now though? Who knows....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Music & Bikes
    Still run and love my booted 1.0
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ