mtbr member

Has anyone every run a Scalpel as a single speed?

I am looking to build up a new single speed, problem is due to some back problems I really need to stay away from a hardtail frame. I have been looking at some soft tail designs (DEAN Duke and the Airborne Paka Wallup). I really wanted to get a frame that could be used without a chain tension devise, the Dean Duke can be made with an EBB and no tension devise, not sure about the Airborne yet.

I would assume that since the Scalpel has carbon stays that they flex hence chainging the chain tension and a tension device would be necessary.
    Has anyone ever built a Scalpel as a single speed (pictures?) and have any insight or toughts about it?

Kman

Back in Black
    Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    I am looking to build up a new single speed, problem is due to some back problems I really need to stay away from a hardtail frame. I have been looking at some soft tail designs (DEAN Duke and the Airborne Paka Wallup). I really wanted to get a frame that could be used without a chain tension devise, the Dean Duke can be made with an EBB and no tension devise, not sure about the Airborne yet.

I would assume that since the Scalpel has carbon stays that they flex hence chainging the chain tension and a tension device would be necessary.
    Has anyone ever built a Scalpel as a single speed (pictures?) and have any insight or toughts about it?

Kman
    IMO, if I were in your situation, I would take a peak into 29" Ti HT ride instead. They ride softer with a large diameter wheel, and the extra volume tire would plush things as well. Slap on a Ti seatpost and you should have a fairly comfy ride.

I wouldn't have though a dualie would really work as a single speed, but a riding buddy has one with a Rolhoff rear hub. The tensioner seems to work quite well.

Yes, a tensioner would be required on a Scalpel. I broke a rear derailleur once on a technical trail ride so I tried to single-speed out with my Scalpel. It worked fine except for whenever the rear compressed (either on a hit or out of saddle effort) - then the chain would drop.