mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Harsh rebound on Lefty MAX

Wondering if anyone could be of assistance.

I have a 2005 Prophet with Lefty Max 140mm shock. I had the Brown spring installed(replaced the red for my weight--210/215 with gear most of the time).

Lately I have been riding trails with lots of roots and rocks...when I hit them I hear a loud bang and metallic ping..... It sounds like the shock is rebounding really fast and making the sound. I have played with the rebound knob on top, but to no avail.

Any thoughts on what could the the issue and/or how to fix it?
    Would shock need to be serviced or is it probably a quick fix.

....I don't really know how to set the sag on this spring shock....like you can do with air shocks......

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Setting sag is not difficult, it's done via a preload collar on the spring within the shock - you pop the cap off (HT II spanner), careful not to loose the rebound adjuster assembly and then the two collar underneath and pull out the spring assembly and tighten the preload nuts - though it is a trail and error methoad (you have to put it all back in to check the sag is correct).
    Do that, and whilst it is apart, pull down on the lefty leg to reset the bearings.
    Also check to see whether your spring is covered in damping suspension oil (it should just be greased up normally), as it sound like your rebound seal has blown - or at least it sounds similar to my lefty which has had a seal failure.

All of the above is described properly in the lefty manuals, or on other lefty threads on here. It's dead easy to do and you'd have to be pretty clumsy to damage anything whilst you did it.

mtbr member
    You have reset the bearings on your lefty? Just take off the top cap with a shimano bottom bracket tool. Remove the 2 split washers which sit in/on the outer lefty tube assembly and extend the fork a bunch of times until you see the rebound knob about 2 in bemow the top of the lefty tube asswmbly