mtbr member
    Jun 2007

grunting Lefty FFD

Howdy,
    I have recently noticed a grunting sound coming from my lefty. It is not real loud and does it under low compression both when riding and when pushing down on the bars. After it started, I replaced the lower boot and cleaned / greased the lower races (everything looks ok on the bottom end) but the sound continues. With the top cap off, the shock cycles smooth and seems reasonably tight... Any ideas? I am going to change out the spring (Brown for a Red) tonight so maybe that will make a difference... Anyways, thanks and thanks to all for the great info on the boards. This is my first post and hopefully I will be able to contribute soon!
    Scott.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    ok, got the new spring in. It still grunts but WTF, it is super sweet with the softer spring. The only issue found was that the rebound pushrod was frozen to the hole of the tuning assy. I guess I was right in thinking that the rebound adjustment didn't work. It was corroded with what looked like rust. I cleaned it up as best I could and flipped the rod over so the corroded sections weren't matching and it moved freely, greased her up and put her together. The spring selection had been fully covered elsewhere but I am around 195 clothed and the Brown spring (reccomended be Cdale) was beating the crap outa me. Red is good.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Can you describe the noise? Is it sort of like the spring inside rubbing on the outer tube? If you, try rotating the spring 90 degrees, sounds odd, but it oftyen helps with spring rub. I would think the red to be a decent choice too, unless you ride it super hard, big drops and whatnot.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The best way I can describe the noise is that it's like when the dog hears something, perks the ears up and lets out a soft 'woof' prior to actually getting outa bed and investigating. I wouldn't describe it as a grinding noise... Now that I can actually compress the fork without jumping on it (thanks to the red spring), it grunts when I push down fast on the fork, if I lean into it slowly nothing. I don't think it is air leaking past the boot but... I'm basically just trying to gauge if I need to get worried. Thanks! Scott.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scocra
    it's like when the dog hears something, perks the ears up and lets out a soft 'woof' prior to actually getting outa bed and investigating.
    Ha! I've got two, I know that noise well

It's air displacement Since you have two fairly sizeable tubes, plunging into one another, air is displaced at a decent volume. It's normal, and of no concern. Enjoy!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

GT Dirt Coalition
    And if your filter is filthy, the air will escape out the top near the rebound adjuster and freak you out even more. Not that I did this or anything