Thread: Grip Advice

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Grip Advice

I have a mostly stock Rush 4, recently one of the grips tore. Itís a good time to cut the old ones off, cut down the bars and install a new set. I see a large number of grips in the product review section, but there are too many to go through. Iím thinking something lock-on. Beyond that I have no Idea what to even look at. I prefer to ride with out gloves, and do mostly XC type riding. Any advice would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My 2 cents. I use ODI Rogue Lock-ons. Way better than the stock grips.

LA CH»VRE
    I use ODI Ruffians Lock-Ons on the Prophet and ESI Racer's Edge silicon grips on the race bike where weight matters... I wear gloves when riding those bikes though.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    ODI lock on ruffuan

or

ESI silicone chunky grips

end of discussion...

mtbr member
    Oury's, only if you like a thick padded grip, if not go with the ODI lock on's.

mtbr member
    ODI Ruffian or Rogues

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Ergon grips, there is no going back to regular grips for me

Try a search on them

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    I live by the Ergon GR-2s with the Magnesium Barends. They are the single best upgrade I've done to my Rush since I got it. I've gotten the majority of our local group to switch to them from traditional grips and lockons. They arent the lightest in the world, but after eight hours in the saddle they make it feel like you've only been riding for 30 minutes. If weight is a issue go with the GX series, GX-1 without barend or GX-2 with Carbon or Magnesium Barends. And they are just introducing the 'Leichtbau' lines that are signifcantly lighter weight.

Prophet converted!
    Another vote for the Ergons. After using them for 6 months, I can honestly say that i'll never use anything else. They're great.
    07 Prophet 5

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    For XC, if you've ever had palm pain or numbness, then go for the Ergons. No question about it. The extra weight is well worth it. But try before you buy if you can. The smalls probably fit 80% of hands. Unless you're 6 feet tall or are really big boned, the large can be too large.

That said, I like Oury or ODI for trail riding.

BVK
    Feb 2005
    Ergons may not be for everyone, I lost some grip for tech terain with them. ESIgrips.com is the best choice for me after 10 years of riding (chunky type).

mtbr member
    The ESI's are great, but are really thin. They are relatively cheap to replace, but they do tear easily, being a thin strip of foam. They are remarkibly light though...

Still, go with Ourys. Cheap and a great grip!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bo_vk
    Ergons may not be for everyone, I lost some grip for tech terain with them. ESIgrips.com is the best choice for me after 10 years of riding (chunky type).
    I ride in technical terrain too, never had a problem with Ergon (knock on wood).
    To each his own I guess.