mtbr member

Grease/oil coming out of top cap?

I have a 2006 Lefty Max TPC and I have noticed lately that the top fork clamp has some grease or oil on it after riding, most likely leaking from the top cap. I rebuilt the fork and replaced the quad seal about 10 months ago. The air filter is clean and all the holes around it are clear. The fork operates great. The strange part is the rebound knob is completely dry, along with the boot and the area around it. It must being coming out of the top cap threads.

Any idea what might be causing this and if it is a big deal? BTW I checked the top cap and it is tight.

mtbr member
    I'm experiencing the same thing and I just had it serviced a few months back too. I'm joining in for an answer.
    Tearing it up with...

02' Cannondale F800
    11' Cannondale CAAD10
    05' Haro BMX

mtbr member
    I gotta bump this. Hopefully Craig sees it

mtbr member
    Mine went for the worst now. The lefty lost all air pressure now. Going to take it back to the LBS that recently serviced it. I'll let you know what happened, most likely the seals went bad.
    Tearing it up with...

02' Cannondale F800
    11' Cannondale CAAD10
    05' Haro BMX

mtbr member
    I have a coil sprung lefty, so my problem must be different. I rode yesterday for 15 miles. Everything worked great.

mtbr member
    Well today I noticed a slight leak at the lower end of the boot and by the air filter. I t looks like my seal might be on it's way out. Time for Craig to the rescue

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think its common for the boot to leak a slight amount of air that is used on the air filter. The boots on both of my bikes get just a little oily where the filter is located and then of course, the boots get dirty because the dust sticks to the oil.

mtbr member
    I received mine back from the shop. There were a few o-rings busted. They replaced them, added oil, and air pressure. Now runs like a champ.
    Tearing it up with...

02' Cannondale F800
    11' Cannondale CAAD10
    05' Haro BMX