mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Got a new swingarm, need help

Got a new swingarm under warranty, my Rush developed the infamous clicking noise. My bike is an '06 BTC color, new swingarm is '08 BTC color. The new one is a bit different color than my frame:

Here's one from the side:

My bike has the black/bronze color just on the sides of the bike, it's raw Al on the inside parts of the swingarm as is the top & bottom part of every tube in the frame. New swingarm is painted all the way like the 2008 BTC Rush. Should I try to get one that match the frame or just live with it? What would you do?
    Last edited by jiar577; 08-29-2008 at 01:49 PM.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I suspect that your color is either no longer available or the coloring is batch sensitive. In either case cannondale isn't going to custom paint a swingarm for you. It's not going to affect the ride characteristics at all, you know....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Well, the color is available in '08 Rush, it just changed a little: it has that bronze color all over the swingarm, mine has the bronze just on the outside part of the tubes, not on the inside part of swingarm.

In fact the box said Swingarm, BTC color '08 Rush SL so it's for an '08 bike. I'm not complaining, the swingarm is the new lighter & stiffer design with the bridge between chainstays.

I guess I should ask a different question, I know there're several people aout there that got their swingarms replaced on either Prophets or Rush bikes, did yours match the frame color exactly?

Thanks in advance

Drink...sleep
    Yes, I got a new one for my Prophet. Same colour as my old one, would never accept a different colour. Cannondale should paint the swingarm to your year's frame spec.

I had a Prophet 700SL, which already was out of production for almost 2 years when the swingarm broke and which had a very specific swingarm colour and graphics not found on any other Prophet. Like I said, my replacement was exactly the same. Bring it back to the shop and demand a properly coloured one. An ugly duo-tone bike looks like crap and it certainly won't improve the resale value either should you ever want to sell it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That's exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks.

Anyone else?? I'll try to use this post if needed, so please post your experience.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Well, I got some e-mails from another 2 MTBR members and it looks like Cannondale sent them the correct color, stickers and all, and their Rushes were older year models too so I assume Cannondale should take care of this.

I'll keep you updated.

If anyone else had a similar experience please comment.
    Thanks

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by jiar577
    Well, I got some e-mails from another 2 MTBR members and it looks like Cannondale sent them the correct color, stickers and all, and their Rushes were older year models too so I assume Cannondale should take care of this.

I'll keep you updated.

If anyone else had a similar experience please comment.
    Thanks
    That's true!
    My 07 Prophet had the same issue with clicking and such and cannondale had a new swing arm made and painted within 2 (or was it 3 ) weeks!
    When I opened the box I could still smell the paint...
    Did they allow you to keep the old swing arm?
    I had to turn mine in after I received the new one....
    The only time they give you a non matching color is when the particular bike is no longer being produced and then they give you whatever color they have left in the warehouse.....
    (This comes directly from the c'dale Representative!
    Last edited by cdalemaniac; 08-31-2008 at 07:50 AM.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

Drink...sleep
    Yes, Cannondale had mine done in, well, two and a half months! Great job Cannondale! Needless to say I'll be buying lots of their products in the future...

So yeah, just saying you may have to wait a while.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    That's true!
    My 07 Prophet had the same issue with clicking and such and cannondale had a new swing arm made and painted within 2 (or was it 3 ) weeks!
    When I opened the box I could still smell the paint...
    Did they allowed you to keep the old swing arm?
    I had to turn mine in after I received the new one....
    The only time they give you a non matching color is when the particular bike is longer being produced and then they give you whatever color they have left in the warehouse.....
    (This comes directly from the c'dale Representative!
    Great to hear of another one!!!

And since the Al Rush is still being made it shouldn't be that big of a problem as I'm sure there're plenty of unpainted swingarms at the factory (fingers crossed).

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozzz
    Yes, Cannondale had mine done in, well, two and a half months! Great job Cannondale! Needless to say I'll be buying lots of their products in the future...

So yeah, just saying you may have to wait a while.
    I don't care how long it takes as long as it's fixed!! I've been dealing with this noise for close to a year and just lately found there was a tech bulletin describing the problem, so another month or 2 won't hurt me.

mtbr member
    Did the swingarm click at all times or only while out of the saddle and pedeling?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    Did the swingarm click at all times or only while out of the saddle and pedeling?
    The noise is there as soon as I jump out of the saddle or seated on hard efforts like climbs. In the flats it stays quiet as long as I don't smash the pedals too hard. Drives me crazy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Earlier this year I had a gloss black 2005 Prophet with cracked swingarm. Replacement swingarm matched the frame exactly, turnaround was about 3 weeks. Shop did the swap for me also.
    I would demand a matching swingarm

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by bauchle
    Earlier this year I had a gloss black 2005 Prophet with cracked swingarm. Replacement swingarm matched the frame exactly, turnaround was about 3 weeks. Shop did the swap for me also.
    See, although the bike at that time was like 3 years old you still received a matching one.....
    Maybe it's because cannondale is getting ready to "dump" the Prophet....I mean it's the end of 08, no more Prophets might be produced at this time so getting a color matching part might be an issue now...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bauchle
    Good to hear. The stickers are the same as the old swingarm? Just curious.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Good to hear. The stickers are the same as the old swingarm? Just curious.
    2005 gloss black prophet had stealth decals (same colour as frame but raised slightly). There were no stickers on the original swingarm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I sent an e-mail to Cannondale asking about this issue and just got an answer:

Thanks for the mail and for your interest in Cannondale products. You should definitely contact your dealer concerning this as we aren’t set up for direct service to the consumer. I would think that there was a mistake made when the warranty swing arm was ordered as it certainly does clash with your raw hi bright frame! I would not accept this swing arm as a replacement. Make sure that you bring this to the attention of your dealer.

That's why I love Cannondale, they stand behind their product!!

I'm still waiting for an answer from my dealer but I'm sure he'll make it happen.
    Last edited by jiar577; 09-03-2008 at 09:34 AM.

Ridin' dirty!
    I sent an e-mail to Cannondale asking about this issue and just got an answer:

Thanks for the mail and for your interest in Cannondale products. You should definitely contact your dealer concerning this as we aren’t set up for direct service to the consumer. I would think that there was a mistake made when the warranty swing arm was ordered as it certainly does clash with your raw hi bright frame! I would not accept this swing arm as a replacement. Make sure that you bring this to the attention of your dealer.

That's why I love Cannondale, they stand behind their product!!

I'm still waiting for an answer from my dealer but I'm sure he'll make it happen.
    See, told ya'....
    All you have to do is to be persistent.....
    Last edited by cdalemaniac; 09-12-2008 at 02:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just got confirmation I'll get the correct color but decals are no longer available. It's ok tough as nothing can be done.

Ridin' dirty!
    Just got confirmation I'll get the correct color but decals are no longer available. It's ok tough as nothing can be done.

Members who have read this thread: 0