Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Got my new Jekyll :)

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  preachinmachine 
#1 ·
I just picked up my new Jekyll 5 today from the LBS - woohoo! I thought I'd post my initial impressions and ask a couple of questions for those who may know :)

I got the White (w/ red and black) Jekyll 5, and was a little surprised at the color. The red is almost a blood red, and not quite the lighter red that it looks like on the website/catalog. I like the looks, but it did surprise me. I miss the Lefty, but probably just for old-times sake! ;) Also, I was surprised how sloppy the frame welds look now. I can remember when you couldn't even tell there was a weld on their frames from the old days. I know Dan Gerous has stated he thinks the workmanship has gone up a notch since production was moved overseas, but the frame welds don't reflect that. Ah well...

On to the good stuff! I really enjoy the Elevate/Flow modes - it really is like having two bikes in one. It is what pro-pedal should have been... I was also glad to see that the lower-end SRAM components on the bar share the same mounting bracket (like the ones that originally came out on the XO gear). I really love the bike, and can't wait to actually do some trail riding tomorrow with it!

Now for the questions: How do you mount a water bottle on the frame? There is a water bottle "washer" (I think it's called that in the manual), but I only see one. Also, I have a set of cable routing brackets on the bottom side of the top tube that aren't being used for anything. Any idea what those are normally used for? My bike did not come with the sag indicator piece - should I check with Cannondale to see if I can get one through them? Also, my sticker for the DYAD shock settings is already coming off (guessing it wasn't completely clean on the frame where it was attached. Does anyone know if Cannondale can/will send me another one? Last question - is anyone running tubeless on their Jekyll currently? Is it compatible with the stock Sun Ringle rims with the 5 model (I'm guessing with Stan's no tube)? The reason I ask is that it seemed like everyone was going to tubeless a few years back, and now it doesn't seem like that big of a deal now. I realize I am buying the cheapest model of Jekyll, but does anyone run tubeless in theirs? Thanks in advance for all the answers, and I'm off to enjoy my new bike! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I am running tubeless, easy to set up and well worth it.

The little washer is only needed on the rear to give clearance for the cables.

I am sure you lbs can get a new sticker for you.

The brackets are for a drop seatpost if you decide to run one.

Mine did not come with the sag meter, my lbs has one on order but they are on backorder, most likely my carbon 2 will be sold before it comes in sadly.

Enjoy the bike! It really is an awesome ride!

#3 ·
Awesome, thanks for the answers! One last question: my rear hub clicks like crazy when freewheeling (rolling while not pedaling). Is this normal? I know it seems like a silly question, but I can't ever remember my rear hub clicking so loudly on any previous bike while freewheeling. Is it something that will get better with time/wear? Thanks again!

#11 ·
I've only got the one photo so far :roll eyes: I've been so busy riding and adjusting things that I neglected to take good photos, but I'll try to get some over the weekend. In the meantime, here is the only one I have, shortly after picking it up at the bike shop. Sorry I don't have more :p

Attachments

#13 ·
I like that color. I wish they offered this color on a carbon model. The ultimate was the best color, but the price was insane. So it came down to green/white or black/grey. I hate the green, so that only left me with one choice. With my luck they'll offer some colors I'll love in carbon, with the 2012 models.

#14 ·
Trust me, the reflectors were the first to go ;) I also added X0 shifters, Candy 3 pedals, and swapped out the stock Kendas for some Maxxis Crossmark tires for better rolling. I also added some Ergon grips - I think I've finally got most of the adjustability issues down now too! Awesome bike!

#19 ·
Jekyll w/ lefty

A guy at Eightyaid had one built up earlier, but I beat him by a pound. I also talked to a Cannondale rep in May at the NYC Five Boro bike tour, and he mentioned that some of the C-dale guys at the Connecticut office was building up their jekylls w/ leftys.

#20 ·
Jekyll Ultimate on the way.....!!

Hey guys....I was able to get a Jekyll Ultimate ordered in my size (Large) this week! It should be at the shop by tomorrow and I will pick it up Saturday. The big news is that it was the ONLY ONE available in the country. I called Cannondale and talked to Willa. She told me they had just one left and it was 'booked against' but if I wanted it I should get my dealer to try and get it. Well, that's just what I did and within about 2 or 3 hours, the buyer at the shop where I do a ton of business called and said it's on the way. I buy a a lot of high end bikes, too many, but I am really looking forward to getting this one:)....I will post some pics asap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.