Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ridin' dirty!

Gosh, I hate to be right all the time.....

Remember when I said once the cdale bikes are made overseas you'll probably see exact copies made in the same factories????Well, there you go guys, just buy one of these, slap a cannondale logo on it and save a lotta money....way to go cannondale!
    I bet nobody in the Bedford factory stayed after hours and produced frames to be sold without brandname logo.....:nono
    LaMere Cycles Full Suspension 29er Frame
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Gosh, I hate to be right all the time.....

Well that didn't take long now did it

mtbr member
    I'm not really clued up on Scalpel 29ER's, but a quick picture comparison between these LaMere Cycles frames and Scalpel shows that they are far from being the same, in fact i can't see a any of the tubes being identical. So surely with them being carbon they are using completely different moulds?

Gosh, I hate to be right all the time.....-701589d1338838647-best-looking-29er-frame-scalpel-29er.jpg

mtbr member
    This has been out for a while. There is a thread in the 29er forum. It's a very close replica of the Scott.

LA CHÈVRE
    Definitly not a Scalpel, if you think they're the same, you're missing out a lot of details. Tubes are not shaped the same, it has pivots at the dropouts, no thru-axle style pivot at the swing link, geometry isn't the same....

It's like wine, to some, they all taste the same and these people can't understand why some cost 7$ and others hundreds...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Dunno, looks just like a buncha other overseas plastic crap if you ask me.

Bring back the funk Cannondale, we want the funk. This all looks the same stuff is getting old......

We Want the Funk - YouTube
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    This has been out for a while. There is a thread in the 29er forum. It's a very close replica of the Scott.
    That makes sense...wasn't it the same Scott designer who works for cannondale now?

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Definitly not a Scalpel, if you think they're the same, you're missing out a lot of details. Tubes are not shaped the same, it has pivots at the dropouts, no thru-axle style pivot at the swing link, geometry isn't the same....

It's like wine, to some, they all taste the same and these people can't understand why some cost 7$ and others hundreds...
    Well, yeah...maybe I went a bit far when I said "exact" copy... lol but that's what the Chinese counterfeiters do all the time....they take an existing design and modify it a little bit to throw the person who doesn't know a whole lot about it off....being in the military we had issues with counterfeit Holosights made by EoTech and even Bodyarmor and Helmets....you can buy them on eBay, even when reported they don't do ****, seller says why pay $750.- for a weapon sight if you can get the same one for less than $100.-?
    Devil is in the Detail bro, devil is in the detail unfortunately your average Joe doesn't know.....

LDB
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    It's like wine, to some, they all taste the same
    Yeah, all of it yucky. You certainly hit that one right on the money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    That makes sense...wasn't it the same Scott designer who works for cannondale now?
    Nope, Denk had already left Scott before their 29er full-suss was released.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Anyway, the point is that it is not a Cannondale factory rip off at all. It is a Scott factory rip off.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by chick0 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	701589d1338838647-best-looking-29er-frame-scalpel-29er.jpg 
Views:	3649 
Size:	361.0 KB 
ID:	772190
    Using this as a jumping off point, Here's my point.

How about we try, even just a little bit, to look like we put some manner of thought, creativity, hell, even soul, into the design we choose to put out there.

I'm not making any sort of endorsement as far as how these bikes ride. At least they have someones fingerprint, ya know?

Just cause it's carbon, doesn't mean it needs to be a copy.

Ugh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gosh, I hate to be right all the time.....-bikegtltscarbon.jpg  

Gosh, I hate to be right all the time.....-kestrel_rubicon_sml.jpg  

Gosh, I hate to be right all the time.....-raven3.jpg  

Gosh, I hate to be right all the time.....-s-works-c3-1.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

CDaleManiac, I guess you're not right ALL the time....

Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    Remember when I said once the cdale bikes are made overseas you'll probably see exact copies made in the same factories????Well, there you go guys, just buy one of these, slap a cannondale logo on it and save a lotta money....way to go cannondale!
    I bet nobody in the Bedford factory stayed after hours and produced frames to be sold without brandname logo.....:nono
    LaMere Cycles Full Suspension 29er Frame
    Hey this is JP LaMere, owner of LaMere Cycles, and also a big Cannondale Scalpel fan and owner of 2 of them, well actually 3 because my 2011 frame had a mfg defect in the rear triangle and they gave me a new one. Anyway, the LaMere full susp we do get directly from Asia is not even close to a Cannondale Scalpel, its is much closer to a Scott Spark SL 900, but without the ability to raise and lower the BB and also change the angle of the headtube, or whatever the crazy stuff those Germans have designed in there. The Scalpel lacks a rear pivot point, so the carbon frame itself flexes, cool design that saves a lot of weight. I like my current Scalpel except that its a 26er, and its always creaking, I fix one creak another one pops up. I was just looking online tonight, the new 2013 Cannondale Scalpel Ultimate weighs 21.6 lbs and costs $11,000, our bike weighs 21.8 lbs and costs about $6000 and has a full set of easily serviceable pivot points. Anyway I think we can all agree the Lefty is the best front suspension on the planet. I think we could get ours down to 21.6 lbs with Ashima rotors, some stupid tires, and a carbon wheelset instead of the Stan's.
    JP LaMere
    Phone USA: (612) 326-4183
    Web: LaMereCycles.com or Facebook.com/LaMereCycles
    Email: lamerecycles@gmail.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Here's the full build with Sram XX1 and carbon Lefty weighing 21.8 lbs

Gosh, I hate to be right all the time.....-jp.full.susp.good-shot.jpg
    JP LaMere

Ridin' dirty!
    I don't care how light it is....buying bulk frames from China and simply have them put your brandname on it doesn't make for much innovation whether or not it spec'd top notch.
    I was wrong when I said "exact copy"....got it....it's still -in my eyes- a cheap pos China made bulk frame that in this case is a Scott, not a cannondale knock off then.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Cdalemaniac, question for you, where are Cannondale and Scott frames manufactured?
    JP LaMere

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jplamere1 View Post
    Hey this is JP LaMere, owner of LaMere Cycles, and also a big Cannondale Scalpel fan and owner of 2 of them, well actually 3 because my 2011 frame had a mfg defect in the rear triangle and they gave me a new one. Anyway, the LaMere full susp we do get directly from Asia is not even close to a Cannondale Scalpel, its is much closer to a Scott Spark SL 900, but without the ability to raise and lower the BB and also change the angle of the headtube, or whatever the crazy stuff those Germans have designed in there. The Scalpel lacks a rear pivot point, so the carbon frame itself flexes, cool design that saves a lot of weight. I like my current Scalpel except that its a 26er, and its always creaking, I fix one creak another one pops up. I was just looking online tonight, the new 2013 Cannondale Scalpel Ultimate weighs 21.6 lbs and costs $11,000, our bike weighs 21.8 lbs and costs about $6000 and has a full set of easily serviceable pivot points. Anyway I think we can all agree the Lefty is the best front suspension on the planet. I think we could get ours down to 21.6 lbs with Ashima rotors, some stupid tires, and a carbon wheelset instead of the Stan's.
    I think im right in thinking that all Scalpel 29er's have a pivot points, not a flexing chainstay like the 26".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2011/04/18/2/cannondale_scalpel29_frame_600.jpg[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gosh, I hate to be right all the time.....-cannondale_scalpel29_frame_600.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Oh, ooops, you're right, I forgot they do the 29ers different...CDaleManiac is gonna bust my balls for this mistake!
    JP LaMere

Ridin' dirty!
    Cdalemaniac, question for you, where are Cannondale and Scott frames manufactured?
    In Asia. Why do you think I keep riding my made in the USA frames?
    That still doesn't change the fact that the frames you market can be found in Asia wholesale places with whatever name you like to put on them....simply buying bulk, is not innovation. If I would to sell the exact same frame with cdalemaniac logo on it....how would that differ from yours? (Except for the different name)....Even a Huffy with XX1 components will still be a Huffy and that's all I have to say about this topic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So you're a Cannondale Maniac but you don't ride a Cannondale?

Yeah we love the open mould frames from Asia, we feel its a rip-off to spend $3000 on a frame to support all the big executive salaries at big bike companies, we'd rather buy direct. The frames we get are the same ones you see all over the Internet, they are great, would love to have you demo one and you would agree. Have you ridden an open mould frame or you just assume they are crap? I have a Scalpel, and just sold top of the line Epic, both good bikes but I love my open mould LaMere way more and I don't feel like a sucker with the price I paid. Our model at LaMere Cycles is to customize bikes for people that know the bike biz and know the frames have become a commodity and they do not possess magic powers like the bike companies claim, in order to get you to spend $3000 on their frames. Our customers are bike junkies who are specific about they want and know they don't need to spend $10K on a bike to get the good stuff.

As far as innovation, we are not frame engineers or designers, our only innovation is to bring a customizable bike model to the market using open mould frames or frames and components people already own, and getting people on sweet bikes for half the price by selling direct over the phone and email.
    JP LaMere

Helmetless Crasher

Yeah we love the open mould frames from Asia, we feel its a rip-off to spend $3000 on a frame to support all the big executive salaries at big bike companies, we'd rather buy direct. The frames we get are the same ones you see all over the Internet, they are great, would love to have you demo one and you would agree. Have you ridden an open mould frame or you just assume they are crap? I have a Scalpel, and just sold top of the line Epic, both good bikes but I love my open mould LaMere way more and I don't feel like a sucker with the price I paid. Our model at LaMere Cycles is to customize bikes for people that know the bike biz and know the frames have become a commodity and they do not possess magic powers like the bike companies claim, in order to get you to spend $3000 on their frames. Our customers are bike junkies who are specific about they want and know they don't need to spend $10K on a bike to get the good stuff.

As far as innovation, we are not frame engineers or designers, our only innovation is to bring a customizable bike model to the market using open mould frames or frames and components people already own, and getting people on sweet bikes for half the price by selling direct over the phone and email.
    I like it.
    What kinda warranty comes w/ the frames?
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Stumpjumpy, lifetime warranty, if its a mfg defect we send you a new frame right away and don't make you send in the old one, if you crash or drive the bike into your garage we sell you a new one at cost plus shipping, and our cost is between $400 and $700 depending on the frame.
    JP LaMere

Ridin' dirty!
    ???????Maybe you should start reading the entire posts, including the signature....If you know about bikes you should know that cannondale used to be made here before the Dorel takeover.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    OK, well I've had 2 Cannondale frames break on me, a Raven and also my 2011 Scalpel, so probably they got smart now and are having their carbon frames made in Asia where all the best frame manufacturing technology is and where 99% of the world's high end carbon frames are currently manufactured.
    JP LaMere

mtbr member
    Stumpjumpy, lifetime warranty, if its a mfg defect we send you a new frame right away and don't make you send in the old one, if you crash or drive the bike into your garage we sell you a new one at cost plus shipping, and our cost is between $400 and $700 depending on the frame.
    So what you are saying is you buy your frames directly from the Asian factories for between $400 and $700? What's stops me from missing out the middleman (you), and buying a frame (or a whole crate of them) direct from the makers?

I would also be interested in knowing who would be accountable if a rider's death was a direct result of a LaMere frame failure, would it be you or the fame builder? And do the frames meet regional testing standards (for Europe for example) ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast