Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator

Good news for older Lefty owners!

Just got back from a meeting at Cannondale, and they dropped a sweet little nugget in my lap, thought that I'd share the word.

They recently finished up a round of testing with a number of older forks, and have found that they can be upgraded to the new, 2011 PBR/XLR dampers.

Yep, ANYTHING 2005 or newer. This is big news for several reasons. One, you can now get the latest Solo Air, which is not only lighter, but offers incredible tuning potential, for those who are aware enough to care. Right out of the box, it'll deliver a better ride than the stock version you have, but if you need more, you can get it.

The big things are the blow off in the lock out, and the ability to control low speed compression. The longer PBRs got blow off over the last year or so, but now, they all have it (save the 2011 100mm Leftys, not an issue in this case) These cartridges can be tuned from a virtually full lock, to virtually lockless, just like the latest platform shocks from other makes. The low speed compression tuning is new all around, and puts the nail inthe coffin of just about any hater out there. Since the Lefty is so much plusher, regardless of loading, it would exhibit some brake dive. Most never got bent out of shape about it, but now? Tune it 4 different ways, and smile.

Who this is really interesting news for, is Left Max TPC/FFD/SPV folks. Love that fork do you? I know I love mine! We've been told these forks are orphans, since Manitou made the parts, and they went through bankruptcy, they were no longer supplying the guts.

Now, slap a 140 PBR, or XLR in it, shave some weight, add lock out (with platform and low speed damping tuning) and keep that chassis rolling till the cows come home

By all means, run what you brung if it's still working and you're happy, but if things go south, you now have better options that offloading it on eBay for a few bucks....

Details. All requisite parts for PBR, would run $260, regardless off model. If you want XLR it's another $150 (don't quote me on that, I don't have the paper work in front of me currently, but it's about that).

This is breaking news. Most dealers will look at you funny if you ask them to do this, or answer questions. If they are good dealers, they'll call, get educated, and smile. If they blow you off, find a better dealer, call Cannondale, or shoot me a note.

What this really means is that for about 1/2 the price of a help a brother out, good deal, trade in price, you can keep your existing structure, and just get the guts updated.

They also offer this as an additional incentive. Since the cartridges are the main expensive wear item in the forks, they will offer cartridge replacement down the road for $125, they will need your old cart to give you this price though. Since they charge about that much for a factory service, this is a pretty sweet deal.

Questions? Fire away!

P.S.? The Jekylls have landed. I saw tons of them sitting there, waiting to be ridden
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    mmmm.... i'll be in touch very soon Craig. Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    You'll be hearing from me Craig!

mtbr member
    Thanks Craig. That is fantastic news! I have asked my dealer a couple of times already about uprading the Lefty on my 2010 Flash 29er Carbon 1 to an XLR damper. I love the Lefty, but the damper is not even close to the quality of my Pushed Fox F32 100.
    How do you do the needle bearing reset with the hose coming out of the top of the XLR? Ever since I read your advice on the reset, I have been doing it every month. It makes a huge difference. Do you have to remove the XLR lock out hose to reset the bearings? If it's a big project, I may just go with the PBR.
    Do you have any experience with taking one of the 10mm spacers out of the 80mm travel Speed Carbon Lefty to make it 90mm travel? It looks like I have plenty of clearance. What are the potential issues?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TX Flash
    How do you do the needle bearing reset with the hose coming out of the top of the XLR?Do you have any experience with taking one of the 10mm spacers out of the 80mm travel Speed Carbon Lefty to make it 90mm travel? It looks like I have plenty of clearance. What are the potential issues?
    Thanks
    The XLR is cake. Remove the top collar as normal, and pull the thing out. The whole unit comes off as one piece. No puking fluid etc. Take the split rings off, and reset.

As for spacer questions, way too many variables for me to say yes it'll be fine. Rim width, tire volume, etc, all play into the considerations. It *may* be fine, but you'll want to do it, reduce your pressure to say, 50 psi so you can easily do a full compression, and check for clearance. Each situation and combination is a bit different than the next.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

FIRENZE rulez !!
    Good new....

Ridin' dirty!
    I just finished mating the lowers and internals from a Lefty speed dlr2 with broken alloy upper to my lefty max carbon upper........
    I was about to eBay the SPV internals and lower Max leg....now I'm thinking I'm keeping everything since I might make it a MAX again in case I get a different frame....
    So my SPV internals just lost value, since there are option for the old MAX struts now....
    I see them on eBay for cheap....might as well buy another one. convert it and make some extra money
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Excellent! I thought that the XLR lock out was hydraulic and was worried about puking fluid. I was thinking that there would be some kind of bleeding process after the reset. It is a relief that it just pops on and off.
    I really like the idea of the remote push button lock out for racing. Starts, smooth fast sprinting staights, and smooth climbs would be awsome on a fully rigid 19lb Flash.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    I need to know if this upgrade can be' done for 29er too.

Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    I need to know if this upgrade can be' done for 29er too.
    Yep, across the board. Same cartridge (s) just the spacers, and appropriate air piston compensators are required.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Excellent! I thought that the XLR lock out was hydraulic
    It is, all self contained though. You can hold it in your hands and activate it to your hearts content. No fluid.

Worth putting in print, the fluid used in their system is not DOT4, it is Golden Spectro fork oil.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    I just finished mating the lowers and internals from a Lefty speed dlr2 with broken alloy upper to my lefty max carbon upper........
    I was about to eBay the SPV internals and lower Max leg....now I'm thinking I'm keeping everything since I might make it a MAX again in case I get a different frame....
    So my SPV internals just lost value, since there are option for the old MAX struts now....
    I see them on eBay for cheap....might as well buy another one. convert it and make some extra money
    Silly man, everyone knows SPV was lame, it was TPC's that everybody wanted

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=MendonCycleSmith]It is, all self contained though. You can hold it in your hands and activate it to your hearts content. No fluid.

Great information. I'm learning. Cannondale thought ahead on that design.

Other than the remote lock out, how does the XLR differ/compare to the PBR? For a $150 price differential there must be a significant difference. I did a search for both, a search for XLR vs PBR, and went to the Cannondale website. I can't find the specific details for either articulated in much detail. I know they now have SRAM solo air spring, lock out blow off, adjustable low speed damping. What are the specific differences?

Thanks

LA CHÈVRE
    Nice! I'll be sending a leaky 2008 Lefty SL your way soon then!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

El Pollo Diablo
    aaaaand now I have to redouble my attempts to source a replacement swing-arm for my prophet.

Other than the remote lock out, how does the XLR differ/compare to the PBR? For a $150 price differential there must be a significant difference.
    No difference beyond the remote. You can convert a PBR to an XLR by simply installing the upper control, and removing a small part inside the cartridge. No performance differences at all.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    By the way Mendon, are parts already available?

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Silly man, everyone knows SPV was lame, it was TPC's that everybody wanted

I know you guys think that but I too was always looking for spare parts for my fork to keep just in case...
    Thanks for helping me out btw....If I could have not done it myself I would have send it to you...
    When will those replacement cartridges be available?
    I would need one for my lefty speed dlr2 or are parts for it still readily available?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    By the way Mendon, are parts already available?
    Most should be. There are several versions, and parts kits particular to certain models. If all were in stock, all the time, I'd be truly impressed, but most should be.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

When will those replacement cartridges be available?
    I would need one for my lefty speed dlr2 or are parts for it still readily available?
    Hey, whatever works for you! Glad I could help, however I did

Most should be available now. I'd never say all though, without checking.

If it's a non Solo Air DLR2, yes you'd need new guts. No old parts in stock.

I'm just glad they stepped up to the plate, and recognized the durability/longevity of their telescopes, and went through the vetting process they did. Untill two weeks ago, we had no options, now? Tons!

Thanks go out to Drew and Derrick, you guys rock.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Ridin' dirty!
    I always thought the DLR2 solo air just uses a different air piston and that the cartridge itself was the same...
    Anyways...how much is that 2011 dlr2 solo air upgrade and what does it consists of?
    Can I just order it and put it in myself or is there some specific mod necessary?
    Last edited by cdalemaniac; 01-22-2011 at 06:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So is the low speed compression adjustment new for 2011, or was this in the 2010 forks also? I have a 2010 Lefty Max PBR 140 for reference. Thanks!

I always thought the DLR2 solo air just uses a different air piston and that the cartridge itself was the same...
    Anyways...how much is that 2011 dlr2 solo air upgrade and what does it consists of?
    Can I just order it and put it in myself or is there some specific mod necessary?
    The newer Solo Air is different in several ways. Kind tough to describe in detail, but they are not the same cartridge.

The 2011 carts are different yet again. The first gen versions suffered from a number of minor annoying issues, all which (according to Cannondale) have been addressed for 2011, in addition to the advanced tuning abilities.

You cannot order from Cannondale (you likely knew this), but through a dealer such as your local one (if they are competent and willing) or someone such as myself.

No mods are required, plug and play, but it is critical that they know exactly what fork you have, and whether you want 26 or 29, as you get a cart, and several other pieces, appropriate to the particular conversion you're attempting.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert
    So is the low speed compression adjustment new for 2011, or was this in the 2010 forks also? I have a 2010 Lefty Max PBR 140 for reference. Thanks!
    Hmm, I'll have to check on that. I know those forks were among the first to get the platform feature, and I can't recall if the LS compression tuning was involved then, or not.

I had a bunch of info thrown at me this week

Worth mentioning, the adjustment is within the cartridge damper shaft, and is accomplished via changing out a small check valve, with one possessing a larger or smaller hole. It is not user/externally adjusted. Ride it, get used to it, decide what you'd like, and get it retuned at service time. It starts in the middle, so one step either way, works for most folks needs.

I'll get back tomorrow on the original question....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

High Alpine Adventure
    Nice! I'll be sending a leaky 2008 Lefty SL your way soon then!
    Me too!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

Ridin' dirty!
    The newer Solo Air is different in several ways. Kind tough to describe in detail, but they are not the same cartridge.

The 2011 carts are different yet again. The first gen versions suffered from a number of minor annoying issues, all which (according to Cannondale) have been addressed for 2011, in addition to the advanced tuning abilities.

You cannot order from Cannondale (you likely knew this), but through a dealer such as your local one (if they are competent and willing) or someone such as myself.

No mods are required, plug and play, but it is critical that they know exactly what fork you have, and whether you want 26 or 29, as you get a cart, and several other pieces, appropriate to the particular conversion you're attempting.

I would order it from you anyways....
    How much is that cartridge?
    When will it be available?
    Fork is a Lefty Speed bonded DLR2 where I replaced the uppers with a carbon one.
    Thanks.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I would very much like to do this especially if it will handle larger riders better.

Are the lockouts different between the DLR (2009 w/ DLR from a 2009 Cannondale 29er 2) and PBR? I would mainly just want the Solo Air as mentioned, sounds like I would enjoy that.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

I would order it from you anyways....
    How much is that cartridge?
    When will it be available?
    Fork is a Lefty Speed bonded DLR2 where I replaced the uppers with a carbon one.
    Thanks.
    Happy to help. I'm checking on availability tomorrow.

Also I'm looking at reworking my interactions here, so as to make it more legit for me to talk business. For now though, email me for further info, I need to respect the rope I'm given around here....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    I would very much like to do this especially if it will handle larger riders better.

Are the lockouts different between the DLR (2009 w/ DLR from a 2009 Cannondale 29er 2) and PBR? I would mainly just want the Solo Air as mentioned, sounds like I would enjoy that.
    Larger riders should find a bit more tuning possible, but oil viscosity and shim stack changes have been around for years as options you'd have.

The 2011 lockouts on the PBR/XLR are now variable yes. From just about full lock, to almost none, in several steps.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Music & Bikes
    So Mendon , you were at Cannondale ?
    Any other scoops ?

That Simon thing ?
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Quote Originally Posted by fokof
    Any other scoops ?

That Simon thing ?
    I heard nothing on Simon, sorry. Other stuff? Just that frames are coming in, and no one wishes they would come faster than those guys themselves!

Also, any rumors of the lights going out, and folks being out of work, while true to some extent, are far less significant than one might think.

Many Americans, hard (I mean JAMMING) at work both days I was there. Phones ringing, bikes, wheels, Leftys etc being assembled at a solid pace, and while some of us may not like the China thing, these guys (and gals) are hard at it, bringing you the best they can with what they've been given.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    By the way, not that 10mm means too much for me but it may for some and I'm curious: if going to the new 2011 cartridges on an older Lefty Speed, does travel goes down from 110 to 100mm?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    you found the other half?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The 2011 lockouts on the PBR/XLR are now variable yes. From just about full lock, to almost none, in several steps.
    Can you please expound on this Craig? Is this an internally adjusted variability? I have two XLRs and would be interested in adjusting the lockouts if necessary.

mtbr member
    Did you find out if the 2011 forks had started shipping yet? Ordered one a few years ago, but Cannondale hasn't shipped it yet.

I hope this means that Cannondale will be more responsive to customer needs, in the way of replacement parts, from now on. I have been worried reading all the horror stories on here over the years.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    very good news but in my case it came a litle bit too late
    my lefty 2008RLC had the blow off in the lock out, and the ability to control low speed compression! but had to change it to DLR2 for much more $$$$$!

maybe an option for the future, if i want to upgrage the 110DLR2 (not solo air) lets say to XLR(100?) and i give back the the cartridge it costs125$?

thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So while you were there peeping around did you see any flash 29er 1 sitting around? Im hoping march date they told me was a joke and it will really be here next week.

if going to the new 2011 cartridges on an older Lefty Speed, does travel goes down from 110 to 100mm?
    Nope, stays the same.

There are a few oddities, which I am still wrapping my head around, but no, travel stays the same for the vast bulk of conversions....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Great News Thanks Mendon

You will need a bigger workshop this year for sure ! There may be many many thousands of Max owners looking to extend this great lefty line , and I will be one of them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Most should be. There are several versions, and parts kits particular to certain models. If all were in stock, all the time, I'd be truly impressed, but most should be.
    I think I will leave this till next winter, I have two races lined up for the summer and i don't want to be without my Rize for either of them...plus it will be interesting to see what's on the way for 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md
    Can you please expound on this Craig? Is this an internally adjusted variability? I have two XLRs and would be interested in adjusting the lockouts if necessary.
    Yes, internally adjustable. The cartridge must be removed, and the shaft disassembled. There is a circuit that has a series of washers. Some are wavy, some smooth. Wave washers have a higher lock value than smooth. 1 wave equals about 5 smooth. 2 waves is as firm as it gets. Remove one of them, and install any number of smooth up to 5 or 6, and you step up from 50% lockout in 5 or 6 steps.

Kinda hard to explain, hope that helps.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by herbn
    you found the other half?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1
    Did you find out if the 2011 forks had started shipping yet? Ordered one a few years ago, but Cannondale hasn't shipped it yet.

I hope this means that Cannondale will be more responsive to customer needs, in the way of replacement parts, from now on. I have been worried reading all the horror stories on here over the years.
    They were building forks all day when I was there to fill orders for bikes. I also saw more raw material fork parts than should be legal, being staged for building. Are they shipping? Tough question to answer. Models get built in batches, so some are, but perhaps not the one you're thinking of yet.

Cannondale went through a bad stretch, no one denies it, even there. Thing is, in any bad situation, there's always sufficient blame to go around. Put yourself in their shoes. You own a company that makes a widget consisting of 20 parts. You assemble them yourself, design them yourself, perhaps even make some of the parts yourself.

You then rely on various manufacturers to machine the rest for you. Perhaps several of those folks do great work and always have. But some don't, so you switch to new manufacturers. They send you a batch of parts, and you find out that they screwed them up, just a smidge, after you ship product. People are screaming at you for delivering a sh*tty product.

Or, you catch the problem, and recall the batch before it goes into production. Now, you cannot complete your orders, and you have customers screaming at you because you can't deliver product on time.

Whatchagonnado?

According to the men behind the curtain, they are past these issues. They are now working with contractors with proven track records, they have solid financial backing to deliver on their end (trying to pay bills when you have no $$ is tough...) and they have been given the go ahead to simply put out the best product they can, go for it.

Pretty liberating actually.

They have been hampered for years by cost constraints, the need to use existing contractors etc. No longer the case.

The fact that they found ways to make fork guts from this years line, retro fit back over 6 years means that going forward, I think they'll keep that mindset, but, nothing is forever, keep that in mind. Can't fit parts from your 90's 'Vette into your 2011 one, can you?

I think you'll find the new crop of stuff to be the best yet, and though I cannot verify this personally, as they are just starting to deliver 2011 product now, I have known several folks on the inside for over 15 years, we have a long standing relationship, and I've never seen them so pumped about what they're doing. I feel really good about it, no marketing BS included.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by alfa75
    very good news but in my case it came a litle bit too late
    my lefty 2008RLC had the blow off in the lock out, and the ability to control low speed compression! but had to change it to DLR2 for much more $$$$$!

maybe an option for the future, if i want to upgrage the 110DLR2 (not solo air) lets say to XLR(100?) and i give back the the cartridge it costs125$?

thanks
    Bummer. No. The swap out $125 deal is staring this year. 2011 product only. But, plug in a new one in a year or two (after the cost has stopped hurting), and you'll have that benefit.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by yoohoo
    So while you were there peeping around did you see any flash 29er 1 sitting around? Im hoping march date they told me was a joke and it will really be here next week.
    Saw a big box of YooHoo sitting on the loading dock, does that count?

Sorry, no news for ya....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Nope, stays the same.

There are a few oddities, which I am still wrapping my head around, but no, travel stays the same for the vast bulk of conversions....
    Installing a PBR100 damper into a 110mm structure does reduce the travel to 100mm.

Sweater
    I believe he is asking if the good news for older lefty owners is that they found the right half of the lefty, thus making it a complete fork
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro
    I believe he is asking if the good news for older lefty owners is that they found the right half of the lefty, thus making it a complete fork

Ah, little slow on the uptake this AM, or maybe I just misplaced my humor meter. Lost all my AOL based emails, saved, new etc this morning, having one hell of a bad start to the Monday.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro
    I think WE'VE ALL heard THAT.... my pat response is; "Yeah, that's why it's a full pound lighter than yours!"

Not to mention it is laterally stiffer, tracks better and has far superior small bump compliance compared to most any fork ever built. But we all know THAT!
    Last edited by DaGoat; 01-24-2011 at 11:46 AM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    So how long until the manuals are online so that those of us with bikes on order know what parts to order to tune lockout threshold and low speed damping?

LA CHÈVRE
    Lost all my AOL based emails, saved, new etc this morning, having one hell of a bad start to the Monday.....
    Need me to send back yesterday's exchange?

Need me to send back yesterday's exchange?
    Yes please.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by brentos
    So how long until the manuals are online so that those of us with bikes on order know what parts to order to tune lockout threshold and low speed damping?
    Won't be happening. Your dealer can order you the parts if you ask nicely, but the training I received last week, was above and beyond what they offer to most dealers.

Cannondale really wants control over the work done on their products. Open it up to the public, and I'm sure you can imagine the number of well intentioned hamfists crying warranty after they eff the thing up......

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof
    Any other scoops ?

That Simon thing ?
    The main technical guy behind Simon left nearly two years ago, unless he is doing consultancy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    So this really doesn't apply to the DLR2 folks then,.am I reading that correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by 29erBob
    So this really doesn't apply to the DLR2 folks then,.am I reading that correctly?
    Lot's going on, which "this" are you referring to?

DLR2's 2005 or newer are as open to this as any other if that's what you were asking.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    Yes please.
    Done!

mtbr member

DLR2's 2005 or newer are as open to this as any other if that's what you were asking.....
    This is offf topic, but any word on the rumored 29er FS?

LA CHÈVRE
    No words...

I got an "I know, I know" look when I pressed them on it, but their lips remained motionless.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Someone told me that they are trying to do away with the boot and making some kind of seal for it. Did you hear anything about that, Mendon?

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    Someone told me that they are trying to do away with the boot and making some kind of seal for it. Did you hear anything about that, Mendon?
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the system?
    A seal will create friction and would counter effect the reason lefty's use needle bearings.....

mtbr member
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the system?
    A seal will create friction and would counter effect the reason lefty's use needle bearings.....
    I have no idea. That's what someone told me, but I hadn't heard anything about it other than that.

LA CHÈVRE
    The CFR team have been doing this for years now. It's lighter but the few grams saved are not worth the trouble to go from a yearly recommended service to one after almost every ride the team can have, these guys can have Lefty specific mechanics rebuilding them after every race. I doubt they will ever sell Lefties that way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Yes sir,.. my question really is/was,.. is the upgrade available for say a 2007 Lefty Speed DLR2 80/110 (29er)?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have the Lefty Max PBR 130mm on my Rize. would it make sense to get the 2011 PBR kit and will the travel change to 140mm or remain the same?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoen
    I have the Lefty Max PBR 130mm on my Rize. would it make sense to get the 2011 PBR kit and will the travel change to 140mm or remain the same?
    You can install the PBR140 into your fork but it is still only going to get 130mm of travel. The structure is limited to 130mm. However, you will get all of the benefits of the PBR140--blowoff, tuneable threshold, tuneable low speed compression, increased oil flow...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    This is great news, I've a Ali & Carbon Lefty Max 140 sitting in my garage as they've both got seal issues. I know I could get them fixed still but as I've always found there damping to be very basic, & I located some cheap 1.5 steerer Rev's to replace them on my Prophet (much better). But I'd still love to get the Lefties back in service, as having them & two wheels (and a Gemini) sitting around is a waste.
    Have emailed TF Tuned and Thumbprint to see what their thought on this are (as I'm based in the UK).

Suppose it a bit early to ask if anyone given it a go yet?

Quote Originally Posted by z1ppy
    Suppose it a bit early to ask if anyone given it a go yet?
    I doubt anyone has any real trail time on them yet. I hope to get one plugged into at least one of my Maxs fairly soon.

Seeing as this info was just finalized in the last week or two, I don't know that they have broadcast it to their European service centers yet, but I'm not saying they haven't either, I don't know.

It'd be kinda fun to give them the scoop first though wouldn't it?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mnt bike laws of physics
    Hmm, I'll have to check on that. I know those forks were among the first to get the platform feature, and I can't recall if the LS compression tuning was involved then, or not.

I had a bunch of info thrown at me this week

Worth mentioning, the adjustment is within the cartridge damper shaft, and is accomplished via changing out a small check valve, with one possessing a larger or smaller hole. It is not user/externally adjusted. Ride it, get used to it, decide what you'd like, and get it retuned at service time. It starts in the middle, so one step either way, works for most folks needs.

I'll get back tomorrow on the original question....
    The Lefty on the 2011 carbon 29er at the shop has an the XLR damper. I was turning the gold knob next to the lockout button and it adjusts the compression damping significantly...from very slow to very fast. I know Cdale says that the adj. is internal, but the shop owner, myself (who both race and have ridden mnt. bikes for many years), and another long time shop employee all confirmed this, so I am not "seeing" things.

Also, you are saying that I can exchange my 2009 PBR damper for the 2011 damper for $125?

Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    The Lefty on the 2011 carbon 29er at the shop has an the XLR damper. I was turning the gold knob next to the lockout button and it adjusts the compression damping significantly...from very slow to very fast. I know Cdale says that the adj. is internal, but the shop owner, myself (who both race and have ridden mnt. bikes for many years), and another long time shop employee all confirmed this, so I am not "seeing" things.

Also, you are saying that I can exchange my 2009 PBR damper for the 2011 damper for $125?
    The knob actually just controls the throw length of the driver pin. Think of it as sort of half turning your lockout knob till it's almost working, but not quite. So the fork is not locking out properly or at all depending on how far you turn it.

It has no designed function on the Leftys, not to be confused with it's impact on a Rock Shox product, where it does adjust blow off threshold.

In short, it does something (makes the lockout not work), but not what you're thinking it does.

The $125 trade in is for 2011 carts (going forward) only, sorry.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    So will this stuff fit into my Lefty Max on my Prophet that I bought in 05? Its the Max with only the red rebound knob up top. 140mm? Will it really give me all that adjustability of a new Max? REALLY? I need this reassurance so I can make it an UBER PROPHET!!! I guess that will be the next cool thing as I just love the geometry and toughness of this bike!

Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist
    So will this stuff fit into my Lefty Max on my Prophet that I bought in 05? Its the Max with only the red rebound knob up top. 140mm? Will it really give me all that adjustability of a new Max? REALLY?
    The fork that until a week ago, folks told you was an orphan, a dinosaur, a relic, unfixable, etc?

In a word, yep.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    A reply from TF:
    In 2006, Cannondale changed all of their threads and seal sizes from imperial to metric; consequently, a new damper wouldn't just screw straight in to the old telescope.

The lower scope assembly is around £220, the scope rebuild is £100 and the pbr damper is £240.
    I'm assuming this is not quite right, they have only recently become C'dale Lefty service centre, and only deal with the newer (fox?) Lefties.
    I'm going with the idea that C'dale are telling Mendon, that 2005 onward forks are metric, and so easily converted?
    Little lost as to what they're refering to as the lower scope? (lower roller bearing assembly?) As an eternal optimist, I'm assuming these are fine and won't need replacing.
    So if I can get a damper for £240, can I just pop it straight in? Or is there more to it?

Quote Originally Posted by z1ppy
    A reply from TF:

I'm assuming this is not quite right, they have only recently become C'dale Lefty service centre, and only deal with the newer (fox?) Lefties.
    I'm going with the idea that C'dale are telling Mendon, that 2005 onward forks are metric, and so easily converted?
    Little lost as to what they're refering to as the lower scope? (lower roller bearing assembly?) As an eternal optimist, I'm assuming these are fine and won't need replacing.
    So if I can get a damper for £240, can I just pop it straight in? Or is there more to it?
    2005 was the changeover year.

Scope, I'm safely assuming is just shorthand for telescope. The lower leg if you will. Fox based Leftys have a different lower leg, so if one wanted to put a PBR/XLR in a Terralogic or RLC, they would need the change the lower leg, yes. Otherwise, 2005 or newer, plug and play.

Have them call Cannondale if you think they have the info wrong, I'm sure they'd like to have it right at the end of the day....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    [QUOTE=MendonCycleSmith]2005 was the changeover year.

Scope, I'm safely assuming is just shorthand for telescope. The lower leg if you will. Fox based Leftys have a different lower leg, so if one wanted to put a PBR/XLR in a Terralogic or RLC, they would need the change the lower leg, yes. Otherwise, 2005 or newer, plug and play.

I have a 2009 Fox RLC 110 w/OPI lower, is that an orphan? Can it be serviced or parts obtained if needed?

Thank you in advance (and for all the prior responses).

Curt
    Forks are for eating, Lefty's are for racing,

Quote Originally Posted by ASI CA
    I have a 2009 Fox RLC 110 w/OPI lower, is that an orphan? Can it be serviced or parts obtained if needed?
    I haven't had issues sourcing parts (yet).
    Last edited by MendonCycleSmith; 01-27-2011 at 09:38 AM.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    How much are lower legs going for approximately?

How much are lower legs going for approximately?
    I want to say $200, but don't quote me.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I haven't had issues sourcing parts (yet) You can convert to PBR with the addition of a new lower leg too, if there's problems down the road.....
    The RLC equipped Lefty does not need the lower leg changed....only the Terralogic equipped Lefty's. They had a counterbore to fit the large diameter of the Terralogic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So I have a 2005 F100 with the Lefty Speed DLR2, so from reading, I can get a new 'guts' for $125?

Quote Originally Posted by jimed43
    So I have a 2005 F100 with the Lefty Speed DLR2, so from reading, I can get a new 'guts' for $125?
    No, you can only get that rate going forward, with the purchase of a 2011 cartridge or fork.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by Headshok'r
    The RLC equipped Lefty does not need the lower leg changed....only the Terralogic equipped Lefty's. They had a counterbore to fit the large diameter of the Terralogic.
    Oops, thanks for straightening me out, I'll edit my response, no need to have bad info remaining out there.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    No, you can only get that rate going forward, with the purchase of a 2011 cartridge or fork.

What would my cost be?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Originally Posted by ASI CA
    I haven't had issues sourcing parts (yet).
    I thought there where no more spare parts available for the FOX RLC 110???

Quote Originally Posted by jimed43
    What would my cost be?

Thanks
    The parts should run about $260. Labor, just depends on who's doing it.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    This is fantastic news!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The parts should run about $260. Labor, just depends on who's doing it.
    So....when do you think Cannondale will be shipping cartridges or what's the story with all that? You did a great job servicing my Lefty around this time last year. I put alot of miles on it between then and now. Looking at another tweaking soon. I did a bearing reset a couple weeks ago and found that I have lost the lockout. The bearings were migrated enough so that I really did not notice till I got my full travel back. Everything else still works fine, just no lockout.

Quote Originally Posted by apacherider
    So....when do you think Cannondale will be shipping cartridges or what's the story with all that?
    140's are in stock now, 100's are supposed to be in stock by mid February.....

Glad you're happy with the work, thanks!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mnt bike laws of physics
    Damn! I've had one of the 140's on order for a month now....I just called and was told it is suppose to ship MARCH 12

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Glad you're happy with the work, thanks!
    This would be for a Lefty DLR2 29er with 80mm of travel. It's an 2008 Alloy 29er fork. Is it the 100mm I would need I guess?

And you do very good work. Matter of fact, my fork still has its Mendon service sticker on the back side of it.

Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    Damn! I've had one of the 140's on order for a month now....I just called and was told it is suppose to ship MARCH 12
    Easy killer.

Fork, or cartridge. The carts are in stock, I said nothing of forks.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by apacherider
    This would be for a Lefty DLR2 29er with 80mm of travel. It's an 2008 Alloy 29er fork. Is it the 100mm I would need I guess?

And you do very good work. Matter of fact, my fork still has its Mendon service sticker on the back side of it.

Hey! I think I stuck that on there

If you want info, drop me an email, the forums aren't really for the open conduction of business, thanks for your understanding.....

But yes, you would need the 100, no 110 cart in 2011.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Hey! I think I stuck that on there

If you want info, drop me an email, the forums aren't really for the open conduction of business, thanks for your understanding.....

But yes, you would need the 100, no 110 cart in 2011.
    Craig,
    I asked my dealer to order an XLR conversion for my 2010 Lefty Speed Carbon 29er. This is the 110mm travel DLR fork with 3 X 10mm spacers to limit it to 80mm travel. My dealer says that Cannondale told them the XLR conversion would be available for my Lefty about 2/25. That is no problem. The problem is that they say the travel will have to be reduced down to 70mm for the 29er Lefty! This is a deal breaker for me. Why can't the new 100mm cartrige be blocked with 2 X 10mm spacers? Can you verify this with your contacts?

Thanks

High Alpine Adventure
    Why can't the new 100mm cartrige be blocked with 2 X 10mm spacers? Can you verify this with your contacts?
    It depends on the frame... I'm running a Lefty 130 Max with 20mm of spacers on my Racer-X 29er and it clears fine. Let the air out of it and check your clearence. You may be able to get away with 20mm of spacers as well.

As for the new dampener reducing travel, I thought Craig said that the travel was dictated by the fork slider and not by the cartridge. If you look on page one of this thread he says as much....

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...97312#poststop

But then Headshocker says it does for the PBR, so maybe the DLR conversion doesn't change it. Craig?
    Dug-Da-Goat

Why can't the new 100mm cartrige be blocked with 2 X 10mm spacers?
    It can be, if your specific tire/rim combo allows clearance. Cannondale safety range spec says 30mm reduction. This needs to be verified by you. No other way, sorry. Many folks are running just two, without issue. Fatter tires, narrower rims, or both, are the deciding factors.

I've been told the quality of travel is better with the new carts, so the loss of 10 may not be too noticeable. It's up to you, wish I had more concrete answers....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ive got one of these

http://maximatgmh.free.fr/Instructio...efty%20MAX.pdf

will i be able to put a pbr in it?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danridesbikes
    ive got one of these

http://maximatgmh.free.fr/Instructio...efty%20MAX.pdf

will i be able to put a pbr in it?

thanks
    Really? Wow, someone with a Travel Management fork besides me!

Yes, it's a standard Max at it's core. Plug one in and enjoy.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    A Lefty with Travel Management? Do what?
    Not ever heard of these before, though I see it came on some (US only?) 2006 Prophets. Any good? I'm guess not the greatest as they weren't developed further. Also added to the fact that 140 down to 100mm is a big drop and going by my experience with Marz's ETA and RS U-Turn system, it would have steepened the seat angle too much?

mtbr member
    It can be, if your specific tire/rim combo allows clearance. Cannondale safety range spec says 30mm reduction. This needs to be verified by you. No other way, sorry. Many folks are running just two, without issue. Fatter tires, narrower rims, or both, are the deciding factors.

I've been told the quality of travel is better with the new carts, so the loss of 10 may not be too noticeable. It's up to you, wish I had more concrete answers....
    Thanks. So the extended length of the fork will be reduced by 10 mm with the PBR/XLR cartrige? If so, that would slightly steepen the head angle and lower the BB height.

I have measured the tire/steerer clearance with my current Maxxis Ikon 2.2 tires. I have 15+mm with all the air out of the lefty. I am going to try it with one of the spacers pulled out to see if it makes a difference.

Unfortunately, I am out for the XLR/PBR conversion. 70mm travel is not acceptable to me. The current 80mm is marginal already. That's why Cannondale and Specialized both have 90mm now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 24