mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Good Light set for the Prophet?

Can any of you help me out with finding a new light set for night riding for my Prophet? I usually don't ride any longer than 1-2 hours in the dark, but I prefer a bright light, and both a helmet and bar light as well. I used to have a nice TurboCat light set I used with my old Jekyll, but had to sell it because I couldn't mount the battery on my Prophet frame. Can anyone suggest a new set, possibly with pictures of the frame mounted battery (if you mount it to the frams). Any help is appreciated

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just bumping for some info hopefully

a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony
    Check out the light reviews. Personally, I use an old 15w NiteRider helmet mount. Gives me a solid 2 hour burn time and is bright enough. HID's are nice but wicked pricey!
    "Life sucks, get a fu*king helmet, okay?" - Dennis Leary

mtbr member

MountainLED lights

A friend of mine manufactures very bright LED lights which I have installed on my P600. Battery life is fantastic, I don't know exactly how long but I would say at least 8 hours useful illumination from one charge, and they are bright enough to make you very visible much longer than that. I was trying to discharge a battery and left it on for 11 hours overnight and it was still very bright in the morning. You can check out the product at www.mountainled.com.

I knocked up the website for him and I need to update it a bit. They are trying out lithium ion batteries at the moment which should last even longer.

To mount it to my frame I initially used zip ties. I now use some straps which came with a cycle rack and they work fine. See images below.

I have done a couple of night rides and they were amazing.

Regards

Andrew

P.S. I don't get any commission for these.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2006
    how about you post a couple of beamshots attachment images of the mountainled system thats on your p600 good pics of your p600 up against the gaurage shame
    the lights wasnt on. might be geting the same system soon but would like to see what
    there like first

message for idlefrog.

mtbr member
    If money is no object than get the Lupine Edison 5 it's probably the best and most expensive out there

mtbr member
    May 2006

Good job!

yes money is financaly is a bit of a prob.the edison is a good light but cant afford it
    if i had the cash i still wouldnt buy it. i could get a lot more of light for that much.
    im only interested in the mountainled system. even though i havent seen any decent beamshots of the mountainled system i know that a 3x9w mountainled units will be
    puting out white light 27 watts led luxeon 1100 lumens 40-50 lumens per watt
    each unit has 3x3w luxeons. system will be under £300-

would still like a beamshot of your system idlefrog.

cheers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    New to mtbing here, so I don't know anything about lighting. Just wondering what type of batteries are popular? NiMH, Cad, or lithium?

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    NiMh and Li Ion are the way to go for MTB lighting systems IMO.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Good job! type of batts are popular?

hello and welcome jdp i hope this is helpful.
    go for nimh or lithium rechargeables 1.2v go for highest capacity you find this is mah.
    at the moment aaa are 1000mah - aa are 2700mah good place to get these are ebay.
    i got mine from ebay aa x 4 vapextech 2700mah £5.10 seller vapextech.
    1.5v alkalins drop from 1.5v to 0 1.2v will drop to 1v and will stay there to almost complety
    drained.

good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Batteries

My son has been racing rc cars, both electric and nitro, for the past eight or nine years, taking a break now that he's in college, anyway, he learned a lot about batteries, their maintenance, chargers, etc. I There are 3800 and 4200 mah sub-c NiMh batteries out there, apprx $40-50 per set of four. Lithium hasn't been very popular with electric rc cars, but some peeps are using them to power receivers, servos, etc, in nitro cars. I think the capacity of li ion is around 3800 now and cost around $70. I would definitely prefer the Li because they are much lighter than Nicd or NiMh but they must be monitored closely while charging.

mtbr member
    I don't have any of photos taken from my bike with the lights on, but there are a couple of examples on the website. Click this link: beampattern

I hope that helps.

I haven't done lots of off road night riding with them, but was quite impressed the times I did. I would say that they are reasonable for off road and are superb for on road. I set them up so one is pointed close to the front wheel and the other is aimed further forward.

Some of my mates have HID lights on their bikes which cost approx £300. The MountainLED lights cannot be compared with those for brightness. If you are expecting that level of brightness you will be disappointed. Having said that I know they are working on further developments, so I don't know what the future models might be like.
    Idlefrog

2008 Trek Fuel EX8
    2006 Orange P7 Pro

mtbr member
    Mar 2005