except change 29er's
    Oct 2005

Upset Ghost rider in my drive train and premature drive wear on propet anyone else?

I seem to have a problem with the drivetrian.(prophet 1000) No matter what I do when I hit real sharp stutter bumps or a hard climb with ruts or rocks it skips out of gears. I cant seem to ride hard over rough or hard climbs.(seem like there must be a ghost on my bike! who would like a different gear.) I have had three brand knew drive train's and 5 chains in 8 month's.Tried 5 different mechanics just to make sure it wasn't a mech. missing a problem. I have totally given up on this bike. The rep doesn't want anything to do with this situation anymore. It sucks when you spend $2600 + I added a demax rear rim to stiffen up all the lack of rigidness in the rear end. Not to mention the problem with the rear hub loosenint up every 3weeks. Canonndale did send me knew rear wheel and hub but it's junk. I changed the drive train over to all shimano XT didn't fix the problem now I'm back to all scram again except the brakes. I was a die hard klein man until trek let them die. So I thought cannodale was impoved from the early 90's from the cheap tin can feeling bike and crack prone problems. Looks like I was wrong?

Are you talking to me?

Cable housing?

It sounds like you have an odd case here. Are you positive that there is not varying(SP?) tension on the cable as the swingarm arcs through it's travel?

What does the rep say? Do you need to go with the thru-axle swingarm to add stiffness? How heavy are you?
    gfy

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    The bike shop called cannondale tech. service and they said to talk to the rep and see about getting me a new bike? But I think there is to much play in the rear triangle. I have noticed that the rear triangle is not competely centered on the seat tube. But to every mechanic and rep it is a mystery. but I have waited 8 months and many a bike rides trying to solve the problem. I have spent alot of time going from the trails and back to bike shop.
    You cant get it to happen just ridding around the bike shop. My weight is 180lbs when I can ride. But since this I added a some weight. I do have a klein adroit and giant nrs but the giant has to much flex in the rear end so I gave it my wife and bought the prophet.
    I do have to admit that I have alot more power in legs than most riders that why I alway rode kleins. I have tried other bikes but they either had to much flex or I broke them. Klein has been the bike I haven't broke. The kleins before trek bought them. I am a rider that is a cross breed between cross coutry and free ride. I don't huke 13' drops but I do lauch of 5' at 40mph with out slowing down. I have a need for speed but not to jump off things that will push my comfort level. thanks for your response.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yes no fun when you spend all your spare time trying to sort this problem out.

What about using a chain guide.
    If you use a 32 tooth and a 11-34 cassette you will get plenty of gear range.
    I used this cobo on my hardtail and it was good. Especially when other riders are dropping chains.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I too have the same problem with my Propet 1000. My LBS has made serveral adjustment and so have I but the bike will skip gears on hard climbs. My bike is still new so I haven't started replacing parts yet. I'm 6' 3" and 240 lbs. if that matters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    5' at 40mph with out slowing down
    gemini?

INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrider
    I too have the same problem with my Propet 1000. My LBS has made serveral adjustment and so have I but the bike will skip gears on hard climbs. My bike is still new so I haven't started replacing parts yet. I'm 6' 3" and 240 lbs. if that matters.
    Me too. Ghost shifting due to that weird cable routing to the rear derailuer.

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini2000
    gemini?
    I'm not saying that that is norm but I have hit a few. On the average I do 17 mph average according to my computer. I hit alot of 3' and 4' drop's with out slowing down. I like the rush of one good hard lap. So I need a bike that can climb and jump. That why I don't have a free ride bike. I push myself hard and fast so I've had a lot of banged up knees and crashs trying to see where the problem is coming from. next thing you know I'm off the path just by doing a quick look.

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingkiwi
    Yes no fun when you spend all your spare time trying to sort this problem out.

What about using a chain guide.
    If you use a 32 tooth and a 11-34 cassette you will get plenty of gear range.
    I used this cobo on my hardtail and it was good. Especially when other riders are dropping chains.
    That is what I was going to try next but the bike said you've drop alot of $ and its still happening so they called cannodale. Plus knowing how unhappy and patient I've try to be. Not to mention the bike shop has spent a off its time =$ too.

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VERVE 29er
    Me too. Ghost shifting due to that weird cable routing to the rear derailuer.
    have you tried a different routing?

Are you talking to me?

Time for a Gemini.

If you are serious about that size of drop/jump at speed, perhaps Gemini is in order. YOu can easily build one in the 33-36 lb range, and have the travel, geometry, and frame strength that you need.

Whatever you do, do not tell your rep that you are hitting 5' at 40. (kidding) (sort of)
    gfy

Are you talking to me?

Think about the Prophet 4x

The 4x has a burlier front end, with the ISCG mounts. Do not forget about the Gemini.

Good luck working out your issues. I am sure that CAnnondale will take care of you.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

i felt your pain

i went through the same thing. back and forth from the trail to the shop for "adjustments." i had to let the wrench at the shop ride the bike after about my sixth return visit so they would know what i was going through. first they changed my chain with not much improvement. finally my rep just changed out the crankset for a new truvativ stylo (prophet 1000) and never a problem since. the shop told me the reps next step was to be a new frame due to possible mis-alignment. glad it never came to that! i feel for you brotha', it's really frustrating when you're on the baddest bike out there, and some crap like this is going on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trueride
    have you tried a different routing?

My thought exactly. Myself and some friends have had ghost shifting problems on various full suspension bikes from poor cable routing. Make sure the housing never bends too tightly or gets pulled straight during the full suspension travel. Let the air out of the shock so you can cycle it through the full travel while watching the housing movement. Many full suspension designs require leaving the housing longer than seems right to avoid these problems. My 2004 Jekyll had lousy rear braking (Avid mechaicals) with the housing routed in the factory location. I found a new route for the housing and everything has been rosey since then. Hope this helps!

cannondale rider
    im having the same trouble with my 600. they put on a new front mech and a new lx crankset. solved the proble for a while but my last ride it did it again. i can climb hills because when i do shift the chain jumps all around and cause a loss of momentum. took it to the shop and it was there for a month this summer. im going to have to bring it there agian when i get back from school

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I do have a klein adroit and giant nrs but the giant has to much flex in the rear end so I gave it my wife and bought the prophet.

No disrespect intended, but wasn't sacrificing your wife to the Giant a tad extreme?=

mtbr member
    After hearing about the crashes and the multiple drivetrains, my guess would be you banged the rear triangle.
    Have you checked to see that the rear triangle isn't bent? They bend super easy (also fixed super easy, but you can't tell jst by eyeballng it) Had the same problem, ghost shifting in every gear anytime I pedaled up a climb. A decent bike mechanic should be able to fix this in about 10 minutes for about $5. (If that's it)

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.8m/s/s
    After hearing about the crashes and the multiple drivetrains, my guess would be you banged the rear triangle.
    Have you checked to see that the rear triangle isn't bent? They bend super easy (also fixed super easy, but you can't tell jst by eyeballng it) Had the same problem, ghost shifting in every gear anytime I pedaled up a climb. A decent bike mechanic should be able to fix this in about 10 minutes for about $5. (If that's it)
    That is something I noticed the day a got the bike was the rear triangle didn't look centered on the seat tube but I looked at other prophets and notice it on a couple others but some where centered so I figured it must not be a problem or they would all be centered. So never thought about it again. But now that this continues I think its the rear end was welded out of alingement from the get go. thanks for the advice.

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    The 4x has a burlier front end, with the ISCG mounts. Do not forget about the Gemini.

Good luck working out your issues. I am sure that CAnnondale will take care of you.
    I would consider it if I lived in a mauntain area but I dont so for me to get the rush of a jump at speed I need a bike that pedels well. I don't like the rush of a high jump but the rush of tucking in it and gforces that come with maintaining a high speed ride and using all "g" forces in the jumps and hills and suspension to do the work for me. I used to race cross country and down hill so I like to have them both in a ride even though I lack having a good hill or mauntain in my back yard as I had in the past. So I don't think the free ride bike will give me the pedeling effiency I need where I ride. Thanks alot for your advice. I'm thinking I might go with a foes, inferno or a santa cruz, nomad. I've pretty much lost hope in the cannondale.

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by damion

Sorry about missing the 4x ? I have looked into it but I don't see anything saying the 4x is made stronger or am I missing it? ISCG that is when there mounts in the bottom bracket for chain guide?

Are you talking to me?

Correct.

Sorry about missing the 4x ? I have looked into it but I don't see anything saying the 4x is made stronger or am I missing it? ISCG that is when there mounts in the bottom bracket for chain guide?
    The headtube is also gusseted, where the std. Prophet frame is not. THis will add strength and stiffness to the front end.If I remember right, the rear end uses the thru-12 axle also, so that will stiffen up the rear end.
    gfy

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    One quick thought, are you running full length housing, or does it have a break, along the frame? Many times, if the housing can float about, unhindered by stop points, it helps, particularly when the routing is through the swingarm, as it is here. Works for me= Good luck.

Ex-Clydesdale
    I've only had two problems with my drivetrain...

1. X.9 derailleur snapped off last weekend for no reason at all, I was literally just riding along.
    2. Rear hub developes play, regardless of how many times I adjust it. Going to try loctite soon.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    One quick thought, are you running full length housing, or does it have a break, along the frame? Many times, if the housing can float about, unhindered by stop points, it helps, particularly when the routing is through the swingarm, as it is here. Works for me= Good luck.
    Yes I have tried the housing running all the way. While I was using the xt stuff. But when I went back to scram they said that it couldn't have any movement that it was much more pecise about the length and movement. So then I went back to factory set up. So I've had it set up with a full and factory housing set up with the new drive. Even put on a whole new lx crank just be sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ive had the same problem with my 06' 600 grinding up hard climbs. The thing will skip gears and i'll spin out or it will lock up and i will stall. The shop couldnt replicate the problem so they don't know what I'm talking about. ??????

cannondale rider
    yeah, thats exactly the same with mine. the shop can figure it out either. im going to take it back friday when i get home. the bike is great, but i hate to ride it lately cause i cant climb any hills and i get so frustrated

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_nor_cal
    Ive had the same problem with my 06' 600 grinding up hard climbs. The thing will skip gears and i'll spin out or it will lock up and i will stall. The shop couldnt replicate the problem so they don't know what I'm talking about. ??????
    I wish I knew what it was? Cannondale says I'm the only one with the problem but from all the feed back it doesn't seem to be true. Check the alignment on the rear triangle and see if it looks centered.
    I think it it that some of the rear triangles are out of wack when they are welded in the factory. But that is just a theory? Still waiting see what going to happen with my bike. Cannondale is comming for demo days in jan. So they can take for a ride and experience the knee's bleeding from jamming into the stem caused from skipping on a steep climb!

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rshank3499
    yeah, thats exactly the same with mine. the shop can figure it out either. im going to take it back friday when i get home. the bike is great, but i hate to ride it lately cause i cant climb any hills and i get so frustrated
    yeah the other day I bought crank just for my last resort. Every thing is brand knew and it still does it. I had to ride my 1997 klein the last time and left the prophet sitting on top of the van. Just for a real sad note it still has the orignal drive train 7 speed that how old it is. Works awsome I only had it tuned up 5 times in 9 years. Old school rocks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm having the same problem with my 1000. Whenever I'm going up hill and putting a lot of pressure on the cranks it skips around. I have already been sent another truvative crankset and had the same problem. I've now been sent a LX crankset to see if a different crankset fixes the problem, but just yestarday I started to see the beginnings of the same problem. Next step I have been told is replace the chainstay. I know the frame is aligned because they checked it out at the shop. So far I have had three different cranksets and have worn out 4 chain rings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If anyone wants to buy a prophet im selling mine. the frame is fine.

mtbr member
    If anyone wants to buy a prophet im selling mine. the frame is

fine.
    Rohloff hub would sort it,,, but lodsa bucks..

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I know this might sound weird, but it just happened to me. I broke the rear axle, but the skewer was holding everything together. Was having a problem with it skipping out, but could adjust it out with the DR adjuster. Would go ok for a bit then start again. New crank, put on a new chain even though it checked ok after 4 months of riding, still did it. New cable and housing, still did it. LBS said to ride it and see, I insisted something was wrong because when I pedaled at a fast cadence in any gear it would skip, but not everytime. We dropped the rear wheel out to check the freehub and found the rear axle was cracked allowing flex under pressure. Was very hard to find and on the bike stand everything was fine.
    AKA: Slowfatguy

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by srphillips89
    I'm having the same problem with my 1000. Whenever I'm going up hill and putting a lot of pressure on the cranks it skips around. I have already been sent another truvative crankset and had the same problem. I've now been sent a LX crankset to see if a different crankset fixes the problem, but just yestarday I started to see the beginnings of the same problem. Next step I have been told is replace the chainstay. I know the frame is aligned because they checked it out at the shop. So far I have had three different cranksets and have worn out 4 chain rings.
    I have replaced the derailer hanger to. I feel your pain. I wish I knew what the problem was but no one seems to know! So I'm going to try the 4cross frame and see what happens. I've asked alot of people that have them and they say their's is fine. I've only found 1 other person with all the 100's I've seen. sorry I don't know what it is.

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    If anyone wants to buy a prophet im selling mine. the frame is fine.
    I'll have one for sale to if the knew frame does the same thing.

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mzungo
    Rohloff hub would sort it,,, but lodsa bucks..
    I have a deemax on mine and it is still doing it so it can't be the hub.

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay04cobra
    I know this might sound weird, but it just happened to me. I broke the rear axle, but the skewer was holding everything together. Was having a problem with it skipping out, but could adjust it out with the DR adjuster. Would go ok for a bit then start again. New crank, put on a new chain even though it checked ok after 4 months of riding, still did it. New cable and housing, still did it. LBS said to ride it and see, I insisted something was wrong because when I pedaled at a fast cadence in any gear it would skip, but not everytime. We dropped the rear wheel out to check the freehub and found the rear axle was cracked allowing flex under pressure. Was very hard to find and on the bike stand everything was fine.
    I wish that where the problem but I have a demax on mine. To help with all the flex in the rear end and the stock hub was junk it would come loose from all the flex in the rear. thanks for the info

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    I want to thank everyone for your input it is all very good information. I'm getting a new frame and I have taken the suggestion from a reply. I'm going to try the 4cross frame and put a chain guide system on it and cross my fingers I hope this will be the end of the problems. So I can say that cannodale is making and effort to solve the problem hope its is over. thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    I want to thank everyone for your input it is all very good information. I'm getting a new frame and I have taken the suggestion from a reply. I'm going to try the 4cross frame and put a chain guide system on it and cross my fingers I hope this will be the end of the problems. So I can say that cannodale is making and effort to solve the problem hope its is over. thanks everyone!
    I had the same problem on a stumpjumper...under heavey laod or over a big bump it would skip gogs ....i added another 3"to my rear deraliuer cable, where it looped under the BB houseing...cured it ..

just an idea.

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mzungo
    I had the same problem on a stumpjumper...under heavey laod or over a big bump it would skip gogs ....i added another 3"to my rear deraliuer cable, where it looped under the BB houseing...cured it ..

just an idea.
    Its a good idea. I've had it long and short plus like another person asked I even ran the housing all the way through with no restrictions to it moving through the rear end. Then the shop said that sram cant have movement so I tried going back to the way it came from factory. I had shimano and sram went back to sram it holds up much better. thanks for the thought I cant get enough help just wish we could solve it to help others too! Its very deppressing when you cant ride a new bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Update...
    My hanger was bent--they fixed that--but more importantly, they discovered that my freehub body was shot. My cassette was moving on it--he's pretty sure this is what was causing the problems. The bike is only 2 months old. I'm waiting for shimano to send me a new hub. Ojala!

mtbr member
    Update...
    My hanger was bent--they fixed that--but more importantly, they discovered that my freehub body was shot. My cassette was moving on it--he's pretty sure this is what was causing the problems. The bike is only 2 months old. I'm waiting for shimano to send me a new hub. Ojala!
    Well i bet you are one happy Bunny ...congrats m8.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Update...

That is weird, I was just gonna post something about the freehub! I broke one of those this weekend on a borrowed rear wheel, after I broke an axle on my rear wheel a few weeks ago. Anyhow, I'm sure this should get you straight. I love my bike when everything is working right!
    AKA: Slowfatguy

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Update on Prophet shifting problem / Please read !

Another trip to the LBS for the rear ghost shifting problem on my '05 Prophet 1000. The LBS said the freehub was somewhat loose so they tighten the hub. They told me that everything else checked out ok. No other problems observed. Upon my first ride back at home, 5 minutes from the trail head and the ghost shifts are happening again. To say the least I'm very frustrated at this point. I've been reviewing the posts on this forum of all the problems riders have been having with their Prophets. Lets say when I carry my bike back to the LBS and they fianlly fix the problem, will I still have other problems with my Prophet due to my size ( weight ) ? I'm 6' 3" and weight 240 # Do you think I'm placing to much stress causing the rear to flex when I'm really cranking up a climb or going through a technical section ? Is the Prophet's frame really not made for a guy of my weight ? What do you think ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Ive had problems with ghost shifting too and the source of it was apparently the rear der. cable routing. If you look at the point where the cable enters the swing arm on the front side, you can see that when the suspension is compressed the swingarm tends to grab and pull the der. cable causing the rear der. to shift. The problem occured when going moderate to high speeds over rooty terrain. Der. simply shifted when I tried to pedal for more speed. First I thought it was beacause of all the flex in the rear but I was apparently wrong.
    I solved the problem by fixing the cable to the bottom tube with a zip tie so the cable now enters the swingarm more directly.

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    well I have to sum up all the events for you guys. I finally got the new frame Mx1 it deffently it stiffer than standerd prohphet. I took all the new part from old and put it on the new frame and still had an issue with front crank. so come to find out that it is a alignment issue. The shimano xt out bearing doesn't line up right in the back. So when the demo days where here I had the factory tech. work on it that is how we disscovered the last problem. We took a crank of another bike and put it on no more issues. so we put the shimano next to the fsa and found that the fsa was sitting much closer to the frame than the shimano. There where other issues with the old. So I have to say that cannodale has gone to great lengths to take care of me. The alignment, the tech guy said wouldn't effect most people but with my wieght and ridding style means all must be just right or big problems. So to sum it all up the new bike rocks. I would show a picture but I haven't figured out how to put good picture on this web site they always say to big a file? here a picture
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by trueride; 03-05-2006 at 07:32 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0