Thread: Gemini v Gemini

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Gemini v Gemini

Goodaye All

Bit of advise please regarding selection of a 2nd hand Gemini.

I have recently done some downhill lessons (riding my trusty prophet) - borrowed a spec demo 8 for the last lesson and loved it.

Got me to thinking about getting a dh bike of my own (limited budget - so 2nd hand is the go)

The bike will have to pedal OK as access to some dh tracks requires it in my area.

Two geminis have come up recently on ebay.aussie

1. 2004 Gemini DH (the one with no travel adjust and the floating break arm thingy). Its got a pretty reasonable build, but has an sherman breakout sibgle crown fork (150mm)

2. 2002 Gemini 1000 (has the adjustable travel but no floating break arm thinky) Again - pretty solid build. Has a Maz Bomber triple clamp fork.

They are both in reasonable condition and will probably go for about the same money.

I'm kind of leaning toward the 02 1000 - due to the adjustable travel and the triple clamp. The floating brake issue has never seemed to worry me in the past (have had 3 single pivots in the past)

I wont be entering any elite level dh events - just a saturday play bike for the local trails - may eventually enter a sport class race (after a bit more practice)

Over to you guys for your words of wisdom - i do love Cannondale and i do love the look of the Gemini - i spose i could not go wrong with either.

Cheers,

Iain

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Get the 2004 DH version.

1) Slacker head angle
    2) Thru-axle rear
    3) Floating disc
    4) Both triangles are beefier compared to the 2002.
    5) Fork axle to crown is rated at least 570mm so most dual crowns would be within the design limits of the frame.
    6) The DH version can be fitting with a front derailleur if it doesn't have one already.

The slacker head angle and the floating brake really helps if you're flying at warp speed.

You can always upgrade the Sherman fork later.

The 2002 adjustiblility doesn't make sense unless you're going to get rid of the Prophet.

The 2002 Gemini was rated for a axle to crown height of 530mm. The dual crown may be over that height so the frame might have been stressed beyond the design limits.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Racerzero

Good advice and knowledge there.

I'll put my 'rhodes scholars' on the 04 DH

Cheers,

Iain