nocturnal oblivion

gemini travel, 140 ft, 170 rear, why?

Why did the gemini come stock with an adjustable travel 140mm fork (psylo) and adjustability up to 170mm in the rear?

mtbr member
    why did my super v come stock with 80mm front, 120mm rear?

nocturnal oblivion
    I don't know, the angle don't match the dangle I think. It wasn't spec'd up front properly due to cost reasons would be obvious reason.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    More than likely it's a geometry reason... Intense Uzi frameset is a little less than what the prophet is, but it's still got more travel in the rear (7.75" rear vs 6.70" front). Seems like you'd want the exact opposite to me, but then again I'm not a bike designer either

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    Why did the gemini come stock with an adjustable travel 140mm fork (psylo) and adjustability up to 170mm in the rear?
    what year is it? may be because at that time, there were not single crown-long travel forks...........but you can run it with 140 in the rear right!? ........may be you just need to upgrade the fork.............mine is a 2004 with the triple option in the rear, and a sherman 170mm in the front, I ride it on the 150mm cuse it slacks the geo a little (believe it or not) and makes it more nimble..........upgrade your fork man! the psylo is just an OK fork anyways.........

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Gemini--like the one mentioned above--configured with longer rear stroke is especially great for enjoying rolling down the trail or single track with SPEED.

I'm not talking about the scenario with huge drops or jumps.

Unlike the DH bikes mated with long-stroke triple crown forks, the shorter stroke fork will give you steeper head angle and shorter wheelbase. The handling won't be dull, and it will corner nicely while carrying the speed.

Keep in mind that the rear wheel is the one mostly bears the rider's weight. When coming down with speed, you can control the behavior of the front much more than you can with the rear. In this situation, the longer stroke in the rear will process the series of bumps for you and the maintain the traction in the corners so that your rear wheel don't wipe out.

You want to your front forks to be not too long. This way your bike to be quick in side-to-side movement. BB height will be a bit lower. The bike will be easier to flick.

I own an older Gemini with Sherman Breakout. I rarely use 160mm travel-adjust in the front and 180mm in the rear. My favorite setup is 130 in the front & 150 in the rear.

I often have my girlfriend drop me off at the top, and just enjoy the trail coming down. If I have to climb, Gemini is not so bad. I lock out the front and tighten the compression in the rear, and just crank away.