mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Gemini Stroke Length - replacement shock

There is a deal on a Progressive Fifth Element five way at an LBS here. It sounds like it is a 7.88x2.0 The Gemini calls for a 7.88x2.25. It has a (gasp) 550lbs spring on it, so that would have to be replaced with something more in the 400lbs range.

What happens if I come up short on the stroke length. I really want to get rid of this Fox Vanilla R.

I hear a rumor that the eyelets from the Fox shock fit a progressive, anybody know if this is true?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTimeToRide
    There is a deal on a Progressive Fifth Element five way at an LBS here. It sounds like it is a 7.88x2.0 The Gemini calls for a 7.88x2.25. It has a (gasp) 550lbs spring on it, so that would have to be replaced with something more in the 400lbs range.

What happens if I come up short on the stroke length. I really want to get rid of this Fox Vanilla R.

I hear a rumor that the eyelets from the Fox shock fit a progressive, anybody know if this is true?
    Fox eyelets will fit straight into the 5th. I have the 5th on my Gemini. The smaller stroke will reduce travel on the rear, but with up to 170mm standard, that may or may not be a problem.

Are you talking to me?

13% travel reduction.

Cruz is correct. Going to a 2.0 stroke from a 2.25 stroke will result in a 13% travel reduction in each of the travel modes.
    gfy

mtbr member
    I'm looking into converting my Gemini into a 4x race bike. Looking to add a dhx air 2.0 stroke. This supposedly makes a 134 and 150mm of travel. Can anyone think of anythig bad with reducing the travel. The front will have a Pike on the front.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Blue
    I'm looking into converting my Gemini into a 4x race bike. Looking to add a dhx air 2.0 stroke. This supposedly makes a 134 and 150mm of travel. Can anyone think of anythig bad with reducing the travel. The front will have a Pike on the front.
    13% less travel is not a big thing for 4X, many still ride hardtails in 4X races... I'd run it in 134mm with a stiff pedaling platform for explosive accelerations.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Blue
    Have you worked out any changes this will make to the head and seat angles and bottom bracket height? Will the changes be suitable to 4x?

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by cruz
    Have you worked out any changes this will make to the head and seat angles and bottom bracket height? Will the changes be suitable to 4x?
    No changes: the eye to eye length is the same, only the stroke is different.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Good job! 2.0 stroke works great

About 6 months ago I installed the Swinger 3 way on my Gemini. The shock was from a Prothet, 7 7/8 eye to eye. 2.0 stroke. My Gemini has 3 travel settings. I've always run the new shock in the 150mm setting which should give me 130mm. The bike pedals much better than the old fox float w/lockout.

Are you talking to me?

I have that model.

Quote Originally Posted by dualdale
    About 6 months ago I installed the Swinger 3 way on my Gemini. The shock was from a Prothet, 7 7/8 eye to eye. 2.0 stroke. My Gemini has 3 travel settings. I've always run the new shock in the 150mm setting which should give me 130mm. The bike pedals much better than the old fox float w/lockout.

Only one Gemini came stock with a 7.875x2.0 Float RL. The 2003 Gemini 1000, with a Lefty Max. Polished. Right?

What I did was gewt an 8.0x2.25 5th 5way. Awesome.
    gfy

mtbr member
    May 2006

Yep, the original stroke is 2.25

The 03 Gemini 1000 had the air shock. It was 7 7/8 x 2.25. An 8 inch eye to eye will work, it makes the head tube slightly steeper. I couldn't find a 2.25 stroke SPV or Pro pedal shock when I updated my Gemini last year. I knew the 180mm travel setting would get back anything I lost by using a Swinger with a 2.0 stroke.

mtbr member
    gonna run a 7.5" eye to eye with a 2" stroke instead of the 7.875 and 2.25 stroke. With the lower front end (Pike air) and the shorter shock this thing should be low and fast!! Let you all know when I get some ride time on it