Are you with me
    Jul 2007

Gemini not a favorite?

I've recently added the Gemini to my "must ride" list and have been surprised at the limited amount of discussion on the net re: this bike. I appears to be a solid all-arounder in the right hands.

Are there any issues with this bike I should know about going into the test phase? I like the look and the relative simplicity of the setup. The geo seems right for me as well...on paper.

Cheers

Light, Strong and Long
    Jan 2005
    The Gemin is a fantastic bike, but its a design thats over 5 years old now, and bike technology has come a long way in that time. As far as geometry, the bike is rock solid, I still havn't ridden a bike that feels quite as comfortable as a gemini in almost any situation. But even still, i had one, and i sold it for a more updated design.
    Everyones got a little weight weinee in them

Are you with me
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fooly_CoolyOo
    The Gemin is a fantastic bike, but its a design thats over 5 years old now, and bike technology has come a long way in that time. As far as geometry, the bike is rock solid, I still havn't ridden a bike that feels quite as comfortable as a gemini in almost any situation. But even still, i had one, and i sold it for a more updated design.

this is fascinating. Please don't take this the wrong way -- I'm not making light of your decision to upgrade (the Gemini would qualify as an upgrade for me, trust me ;-) -- but I wonder if a proven design deserves such a fate, e.g. people no longer buy it b/c the technology is outdated, yet it performs just fine on the trail.

Thus, a new question is born: may I ask what you upgraded to and what the new bike gave you that Gemini did not?

One advantage of the Gemini design appears to be the basic nature of the rear suspension -- perhaps it's easy to maintain, tweak, fix etc?

cheers

May I ask which bike you upgraded to

Light, Strong and Long
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCastorp
    this is fascinating. Please don't take this the wrong way -- I'm not making light of your decision to upgrade (the Gemini would qualify as an upgrade for me, trust me ;-) -- but I wonder if a proven design deserves such a fate, e.g. people no longer buy it b/c the technology is outdated, yet it performs just fine on the trail.

Thus, a new question is born: may I ask what you upgraded to and what the new bike gave you that Gemini did not?

One advantage of the Gemini design appears to be the basic nature of the rear suspension -- perhaps it's easy to maintain, tweak, fix etc?

cheers

May I ask which bike you upgraded to
    Well i trimmed some weight when i upgraded, i went from my gemini to a Specialized stumpjumper comp 2008 (begin the flaming). As far as why i thought it was outdated was mostly because of the rear suspension. Its not because its a single pivot, its just the way the single pivot is designed. The bike was designed before stable platform suspension was avalable, so it rides best with a shock that has no pedal platform, as far as suspension performance is concerened. Now pedaling this is horrible, and i used my bike as a big hit trailbike/freeride rig, so i was pedaling and climbing quite a bit with it. With the stable platform suspension that the bike was equiped with it felt like it only had about 4 or 5 inches of suspensions, when the bike was rated to have 6 or 6.7. So i guess it all has to do with how you ride the bike IMO. The way i was riding it, it was outdated. As a shuttle runner or a pure gravity bike, i think it could still hold its own with a normal non platfrom shock.
    Everyones got a little weight weinee in them

mtbr member
    Y'all will notice too that there's no Gemini in the 2008 Cannondales.