Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1

    Gemini frame size recommendations

    I've decided to buy a Gemini 2000 but am not sure what size I should get. I'm 5' 6" 170 lbs. I currently have a small SC Blur. I got a small Blur after trying both a small and medium size. The small fit better and was easier to throw around. Unfotunately I haven't been able to make the same comparison for the Gemini.

    Anyone out there about my size riding a Gemini? What size are you using? Are you happy with it?

    Thanks,

    Vic

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    105
    I'm 6', 225 lbs, 41 yrs old and ride a 2004 large. Note that it is pretty tall and seems to fit big for a large. I'd guess small or medium for you depending on your preference, but probably best to test ride first to make sure you get the right size. Make sure that the shop sets the rear sag correctly (i.e. 2") for your weight or you may feel like your sitting on a ladder.

    This is my first dually and I've only had it for a couple of weeks so far (had to upgrade from my XC hardtail in order to keep up with my 14 year old son and his friends). Very happy with it so far. Terrific value for money, IMHO. The bike is very light considering the frame, suspension and components and seems solid enough to handle decent-sized drops. Also climbs quite well. Suspension is awesome. I'm going faster than expected . . . get's me in trouble sometimes because corners come up quicker than anticipated but the Hayes Mags are powerful and haul the bike down quickly.

    A couple possible concerns:

    - Stem and handlebar seem a bit light duty for heavy freeride use.

    - Mavic XM321 rims seem fairly light duty and are designed for all-mountain use. The label says that they max out at 2.35 tires. These aren't the same as the 2003 Mavic D321 rims which are considerably beefier. Haven't been a problem yet but given my size and weight, I'm keeping a close eye on them.

    Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision!!

  3. #3
    Bike Breaker.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,749

    What Size?

    I am 5'6" as well and the small frame one is a perfect fit for me.

  4. #4
    COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
    Reputation: spacoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,110

    Would a med fit someone 5'11"-6'

    Mike, You said the large fit big. I'm around 5'11"-6' and am looking at a med for a good price, do you think a med would be ok for freeriding/urban drops/stairs ect.




    Quote Originally Posted by MadMike
    I'm 6', 225 lbs, 41 yrs old and ride a 2004 large. Note that it is pretty tall and seems to fit big for a large. I'd guess small or medium for you depending on your preference, but probably best to test ride first to make sure you get the right size. Make sure that the shop sets the rear sag correctly (i.e. 2") for your weight or you may feel like your sitting on a ladder.

    This is my first dually and I've only had it for a couple of weeks so far (had to upgrade from my XC hardtail in order to keep up with my 14 year old son and his friends). Very happy with it so far. Terrific value for money, IMHO. The bike is very light considering the frame, suspension and components and seems solid enough to handle decent-sized drops. Also climbs quite well. Suspension is awesome. I'm going faster than expected . . . get's me in trouble sometimes because corners come up quicker than anticipated but the Hayes Mags are powerful and haul the bike down quickly.

    A couple possible concerns:

    - Stem and handlebar seem a bit light duty for heavy freeride use.

    - Mavic XM321 rims seem fairly light duty and are designed for all-mountain use. The label says that they max out at 2.35 tires. These aren't the same as the 2003 Mavic D321 rims which are considerably beefier. Haven't been a problem yet but given my size and weight, I'm keeping a close eye on them.

    Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision!!
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by spacoli
    Mike, You said the large fit big. I'm around 5'11"-6' and am looking at a med for a good price, do you think a med would be ok for freeriding/urban drops/stairs ect.
    Always best to try before you buy (even if it is just a parking lot test). However, the only differences in frame geometry between the M & L frame are top tube length (24" vs 25") and seat tube length (17.2" vs 19.2"). That being the case, I think the medium would be a better fit for everything you've listed. The only disadvantage might be in trail riding.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by vchav73
    I've decided to buy a Gemini 2000 but am not sure what size I should get. I'm 5' 6" 170 lbs. I currently have a small SC Blur. I got a small Blur after trying both a small and medium size. The small fit better and was easier to throw around. Unfotunately I haven't been able to make the same comparison for the Gemini.

    Anyone out there about my size riding a Gemini? What size are you using? Are you happy with it?

    Thanks,

    Vic
    I'm 5' 6" and have a small. It's a perfect size if you like to flick it around. I can ride a medium but it feels more XC than FR.
    Last edited by racerzero; 02-25-2005 at 06:59 PM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by spacoli
    Mike, You said the large fit big. I'm around 5'11"-6' and am looking at a med for a good price, do you think a med would be ok for freeriding/urban drops/stairs ect.
    For what it is worth, I bought a Prophet In size MED and I am 6' tall (32" inseam). The large felt too long for me....I also sat on the Large and MED Gemini's and the Med Gemini fit better as well....Both bikes I believe have the same Seat tube and HTT measurements event though they are different styles of bikes of course...

    I was also looking to get away form SC type riding and more into Trail Riding/light freeriding stuff.....so I went with the Prophet and a MED frame.....At my measurements I probably could have gone with a the Large, but the MEd just felt better and it fit the style of riding I plan on doing.

    I also remember reading about a guy who was 6'2" and went with a Large over a XL after he tried the two sizes out.


    Hope this helps..

Similar Threads

  1. Welcome, here's your 29er FAQ thread!
    By ncj01 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 147
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 01:56 PM
  2. HELP! Need advice on frame size.
    By TiGuy in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 05:32 PM
  3. hrrm what size frame - yeti asx
    By phrac in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 03:24 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 11:21 PM
  5. What size of specialized Enduro frame is best for me??
    By teo in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 10:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •