Thread: gemini?

mtbr member

New question here. gemini?

How much more of an xc bike does the gemini become if you put a 5" fork on? And if you had a gemini like the '03 1000 model with the lefty max and an air shock, what would your weight come in at, low 30's?

thanks

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Gemini as an XC bike

Well I use my Gemini 2000 04 as my XC bike, prior to having it a month ago I had a true 'all' mountain bike in the form of an 04 S-works enduro with a Talas RL up front. Of the two the gemini I finde better even at climbing and even yesterday on my usual Sunday Rough XC ride it climbed a 35 degree rock singletrack better than the enduro, in fact It kept me on the bike for twice the length I could climb on the enduro, It weighs estimate about 36lbs wheras the enduro weighed 27lbs. The gemini your talking about doesnt really need a 5" fork if you can have 6" (don't forget, I use the 130mm setting for climbing on my breakout +), My rides usually are between 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hours and I'm sure could go on for longer.

http://martyn-james-nash.fotopic.net/c166313.html

Are you talking to me?

I can get this one...

I have the 2003 Gemini with the Air shock, and Lefty MAX. Stock, it was 33lb for the XL. I have added a 5th coil, and an 8" rotor up front. With Mythos XC's and light tubes, it is still 33 lb.
    gfy

bro not pro
    What is the rear shock eye-to-eye and stroke dimensions for the Gemini frame ?
    thanks
    G O N Z

Are you talking to me?

here you are...

Quote Originally Posted by Gonz
    What is the rear shock eye-to-eye and stroke dimensions for the Gemini frame ?
    thanks
    7.875x2.25 is stock. The 2003 Gemini 1000 came with a Float that is 7.875x2.0. A 8.0x2.25 5th fits on my XL frame.
    gfy

bro not pro
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    7.875x2.25 is stock. The 2003 Gemini 1000 came with a Float that is 7.875x2.0. A 8.0x2.25 5th fits on my XL frame.
    Why did you go with the longer shock ?
    G O N Z

Are you talking to me?

In stock.

Why did you go with the longer shock ?
    Mostly because the 8.0" was in stock. I work at a Cannondale dealership, and the 8.0 was all that I could find at the time. The wait on the 7.875 was long enough to warrant trying the 8.0. Works like a charm.
    gfy

bro not pro
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Mostly because the 8.0" was in stock. I work at a Cannondale dealership, and the 8.0 was all that I could find at the time. The wait on the 7.875 was long enough to warrant trying the 8.0. Works like a charm.

Your frame is an XL, right ? Have you ever bottomed the shock ? i.e. taken a big hit where the coil gets completely squished ? My concern with the longer shock is that when you bottom, the swing arm might contact the down tube, unless CDale designed in some extra margin in the frame.

I have a L, equipped with the 7.875 Swinger 4 Way Air, and I'd like to install a Coil (probably a Swinger), and I definitely would love to go up to the 8 inch. To reduce the shock leverage ratio a little. Hey you work at a CDale dealer ? Could you run my question by CDale themselves ? Would it be OK to put the Swinger 4 Way Coil 8 inch shock into a 03 Large Gemini frame (900 model) ?
    G O N Z

Are you talking to me?
    Your frame is an XL, right ? Have you ever bottomed the shock ? i.e. taken a big hit where the coil gets completely squished ? My concern with the longer shock is that when you bottom, the swing arm might contact the down tube, unless CDale designed in some extra margin in the frame.

I have a L, equipped with the 7.875 Swinger 4 Way Air, and I'd like to install a Coil (probably a Swinger), and I definitely would love to go up to the 8 inch. To reduce the shock leverage ratio a little. Hey you work at a CDale dealer ? Could you run my question by CDale themselves ? Would it be OK to put the Swinger 4 Way Coil 8 inch shock into a 03 Large Gemini frame (900 model) ?

There is more that enough room. I weigh 220lb, so, yeah, I have bottomed the shock. I checked clearance without the spring in place prior to install. the swingarm will not hit the tt, even with the shock out of the frame. The swingarm gets to the seat tube long before the tt.

It is out of the warranty specs to go to a longer shock. However, my regional rep did not see a big deal with installing a shock that had the same stroke as stock, with only a .15" increase in the eye to eye length. I am not speaking for Cannondale, but only for myself. My rep will take care of me, if I have an issue. (it helps that I am the best selling Cannondale salesman at the biggest shop in the state.)
    gfy

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

why mess with a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by jm03
    How much more of an xc bike does the gemini become if you put a 5" fork on? And if you had a gemini like the '03 1000 model with the lefty max and an air shock, what would your weight come in at, low 30's?

thanks
    The stock geminis come with a sherman breakout 5-6inch adjustable so you can stick it in 5" mode and ride up hills all day. The O3 model with the lefty is at least 2lbs lighter than the models with the Sherman so it would be around 33-34lbs and a better choice for cross country. The cannondale jekyls are very worthy all around type of bikes.