mtbr member
    Oct 2008

gemini 1000 pivot axle

Hi ,
    today i've tried to remove the pivot axle of my gemini 1000 (year 2003) but after that i've have removed the fixing bolt, the axle, the axle doesn't slide out
    Anybody can help me?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I just removed mine today. You may need to tap it with a hammer and the axle slides out fairly easily.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No risk to break it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I removed the pivot from my old SV500,It took some bad language and the use of a mallet to "drift" the bolt out,
    Rusty as hell,But considering its 11 years old,And that was the first time it saw daylight
    I was impressed

Not shure how simular they are,But patience and a firm hand is a good thing

KK..

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ehhhhhh, patience is a great thing, tomorrow I will try... thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Mine is a 2003 Gemini. Just tap it with a hammer, and it slid out. Now removing the bearings are a different deal, especially when the LBS gives you the wrong size.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by r32657
    Mine is a 2003 Gemini. Just tap it with a hammer, and it slid out. Now removing the bearings are a different deal, especially when the LBS gives you the wrong size.
    Excuse me, but what is the LBS?
    Removing the bearings is difficult?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The bearings on my sv500 were only stuck in the frame on one side,
    I tapped them out carefully from the back via the other side of the frame using a large allen key,
    just be as carefull as you can with them,
    Re fitting was easy,as i used the bolt to pull everything back together into the frame,

KK..

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by giorgiocat
    Excuse me, but what is the LBS?
    Removing the bearings is difficult?
    LBS= Local Bike Shop
    And no, it's not difficult to remove bearings if you know what to do
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Probably not the LBS's fault. The bearing size listed in the Gemini Manual is the wrong part number.

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
    Quote Originally Posted by giorgiocat
    Ehhhhhh, patience is a great thing, tomorrow I will try... thanks
    If by some dumb luck you damage it, PM me I have a spare. Good luck.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thanks for the LBS explanation ...and then ... what i have to do to remove bearings

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well, I just got done going through the process. Why are you trying to remove the bearings? If you don't need to, don't bother, since it took way longer than expected. Make sure that if you are trying to replace the bearings, that you get the numbers on the side of your actual bearings when you order them. I made the mistake of just calling in the order, and ended up with the wrong bearings. I used a socket that fit close to the frame, but was still lose.I put the swing arm against some pieces of rubber, cloth etc and held the whole thing against my work bench. I pounded the bearing outward, using a hammer and long rod that stuck through the opposite bearing. Remember the bearing will go out one way.

Putting in the bearing was easy. I lubed the new bearing up, used a long bolt, a nut and a couple of washers .I screwed the nut and bolt together until snug.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    . I used a socket that fit close to the frame, but was still lose.I put the swing arm against some pieces of rubber, cloth etc and held the whole thing against my work bench. I pounded the bearing outward, using a hammer and long rod that stuck through the opposite bearing. Remember the bearing will go out one way.

Putting in the bearing was easy. I lubed the new bearing up, used a long bolt, a nut and a couple of washers .I screwed the nut and bolt together until snug.
    You could have pulled the bearing out using a similar technique to how you put the bearings in. Use a PVC pipe larger than the bearings (cut about an inch or so) on one side and use the long bolt nut and washers to pull the bearings out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    You could have pulled the bearing out using a similar technique to how you put the bearings in. Use a PVC pipe larger than the bearings (cut about an inch or so) on one side and use the long bolt nut and washers to pull the bearings out.
    Maybe removing bearings is too difficult for me...do you have photos of your removing-bearings-tools?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    Yup, but you throw in a I don;t care to drive out to Home Depot today mindset, you end up with the pound it out route.