Thread: Geared 1FG ?

mtbr member

Geared 1FG ?

I'm building a hardtail for winter riding (Maine) <-- real winter, and I have a NIB 1FG frame. I have the Shimano rear derailler hanger and was wondering if there are any technical issues with using a 3 ring and front derailler on this frame? It would seem to build up into a really light 27 speed "snowmobile".
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerx
    I'm building a hardtail for winter riding (Maine) <-- real winter, and I have a NIB 1FG frame. I have the Shimano rear derailler hanger and was wondering if there are any technical issues with using a 3 ring and front derailler on this frame? It would seem to build up into a really light 27 speed "snowmobile".
    Not sure I see the point in that, as a single speed is by far the best winter rig there is. If you're wanting a geared bike I'm sure there are better frame choices (ie, one without an eccentric BB) and I'm sure a new 1FG frame would be easy to sell.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

mtbr member

Lack of leg strength maybe?

Winter riding here can mean skating over frozen hardpack on a plowed road or grinding through 2 inches of sugar snow for miles on a snowmobile trial over hill and dale. At least for me, the option to change ratios is mandatory. I've ridden for the past 3 winters on FS bikes and the rear suspension is just added weight so I decided to build a hard tail this year. I couldn't pass up the price on this 1FG.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Winter riding here can mean skating over frozen hardpack on a plowed road or grinding through 2 inches of sugar snow for miles on a snowmobile trial over hill and dale. At least for me, the option to change ratios is mandatory. I've ridden for the past 3 winters on FS bikes and the rear suspension is just added weight so I decided to build a hard tail this year. I couldn't pass up the price on this 1FG.
    The key, I've found, is finding the right gear ratio. I generally use a 32/20, but have a 22 I can toss on the rear when the going really gets tough. While I'm not familiar with your area, I am quite familiar with real winter riding - we had snow just a few miles outside town last week. I find the simplicty of a single speed far outweighs the benefits of changable gear ratios. No frozen or gunked up derailleurs or shifters, and much less overall maintenance needed. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. The only issue I think you'd have is determing what BB spindle length to use to get the proper chain line.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Somebody has built a 1FG with a Rohlhoff hub... I saw a web page with one on it.

Kinda defeats the purpose of owning a singlespeed.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    Somebody has built a 1FG with a Rohlhoff hub... I saw a web page with one on it.

Kinda defeats the purpose of owning a singlespeed.
    Also would kinda defeat the purpose of getting a cheap frame - have you checked out the cost on those suckers .

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Rohloff or the 1FG frame? Both are outrageous, but schweet!

Quote Originally Posted by jcw
    Also would kinda defeat the purpose of getting a cheap frame - have you checked out the cost on those suckers .

mtbr member
    Well, I scored the 1FG for less than three bills - NIB. I was ready to get a Chameleon for my project but couldn't turn down this baby. Now I'm thinking a 9 spd setup would be just right. Does that sound realistic?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    1FG frame right??? Is it the one with the headshok or the rigid one?
    Either way.... good deal!

Well, I scored the 1FG for less than three bills - NIB. I was ready to get a Chameleon for my project but couldn't turn down this baby. Now I'm thinking a 9 spd setup would be just right. Does that sound realistic?

mtbr member
    It's just the raw frame - no fork. But I have a Z1 FR or a Firely waiting. I took one look at that raw aluminum frame and had to have it. Wasn't thinking about a SS bike but really liked the frame / deal and wow is it light! Not much of a bike techie but thinking about a single ring and 9 speed cassette. Is that possible? This should be quite a change from my RFX.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I did that on my old Mt Tam. I had problems with the chain jumping off the chainring, other than that it worked out pretty well. I used a nonramped Salsa 34t ring. I only rode it a couple times like that before I went back to SS.

It's just the raw frame - no fork. But I have a Z1 FR or a Firely waiting. I took one look at that raw aluminum frame and had to have it. Wasn't thinking about a SS bike but really liked the frame / deal and wow is it light! Not much of a bike techie but thinking about a single ring and 9 speed cassette. Is that possible? This should be quite a change from my RFX.

mtbr member
    You got me thinkin' - so I left my 5 Spot in the 44x21 combi and rode a couple of hours on my favorite trails. Actually worked well! The climbs that usually have me dropping a couple of gears and spinning my lungs out were do-able and burned my legs instead. So -- where do I find a single ring crankset and would a spacer setup work for the cassette? I'm not buying a SS specific rear wheel.