mtbr member
    May 2007

Garmin Edge + Headshok Ultra = Trouble

I want to mount my Edge on the stem, but sadly, the lever arm for adjusting rebound gets in the way! I am going to be forced to mount it on my bars. If the lever turned sideways to down, it would not be a problem.

Does anyone know if the Headshok lock-out can be rotated so that it turned from down to side?

mtbr member

I believe it can

When I had my old f400 fatty serviced, the knob was in a different location than when I brought it in. I'm not sure how to change it though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm not sure if the headshok is the same but on my older DLR i can pull off the red rebound knob then pull up on the lockout lever and it just pops off too. I can put it any which way.

mtbr member
    Yes you can easily change the position of the lock out lever, the easiest way is to remove the red rebound knob using a 1.5mm allen key, just loosen off the grub screw till you can pull the knob up. Then you will see a a 10mm nut that locks the lever in place, undo this with a 10mm socket (if you have a deep socket that will make it a bit easier, you just want to make sure you engage this nut fully so you don't damage it!) once you have that off it's as easy as pulling the lockout lever off and rotating it 180 degrees then putting it back on! When you do the lock nut back on just make sure it's tight but not super super tight. and the same with the little grub screw in the rebound knob (make sure when you put this back you locate it to the flat surface of the rebound stalk.

Now, if this doesn't give you the perfect position of the lock out lever you can put it anywhere you like, just disassemble as above but when you take off the lever use a cassette tool to loosen the upper cap on the fork, don't take this off just loosen it enough so you can put the lock out lever back on and rotate it to the optimal position, once done tighten the top cap back on with the cassette tool to 16.3 Nm of torque and reassemble as above!
    Hope this helps I can send you some pictures if my writing is a bit confusing but it should be quite easy for you to do. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What year headshok? The lockout lever should be held down by a small allen bolt, just like the top cap on a standard 1 1/8" steerer. Then "pop" the lever off, it just presses down on a large hex "nut" that it turns to lock out. You have the ability to rotate it to whatever position you want (within the six sides of the hex nut), then bolt it back on. Pretty easy, I had to do the same thing on a few headshoks.
    Billy

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the tips! I was able to mount my Garmin obstruction-free on the stem!