Ridin' many miles...

Full XTR S-Works Epic: Will I miss my Jekyll?

I know this is a C'Dale forum, and post this at my peril, but am hoping I get some rational opinions, and feedback.

I have an opportunity to buy a 2004 S-Works Epic for about 1/3 of it's original retail value. (I know the guy and he is hooked up with Shimano so gets a new bike every year). Bike has full 2004 XTR including XTR wheelset brakes, etc. Condition is 9/10.

In order to do this I'd have to sell my '00 Jekyll 900SL, which I love.

I'm an XC rider and ride hard and alot. The terrain I ride is CO Front Range which is steep, rocky and technical. I don't race, but have considered it for next season.

I've always thought my Jekyll is a great bike for the terrain I ride, but isn't as efficient climbing as I'd like. Also on the downhills, it's plush, but has bucked me on occasion. My riding and conditioning is improving alot lately too, so I may actually be competive next season.

The question is, will the Epic be a better bike (or as good) for the terrain I ride, and is the new technology (Brain, new XTR) all good? I mean, this bike is so top end, I worry about the Ferarri Syndrome ( always in the shop, expensive to fix )

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by EdZilla; 09-01-2004 at 09:22 AM.
    Ride dangerously. Take chances.

Probably scared of stuff

We the people ... Looks like the thing to do but...

I don't know if the Epic is a better downhill bike than the Jekyll, but thats not your concern I assume. The Specialized is obviously a better bike for future racing, with its unbeatable efficiency. I'm not sure what the maintenence is like, but id say more than the jekyll, because there is far more sophistication in terms of the suspension in the epic. From what I can see, the brain shock needs to rebuilt every 200 hours or every year; just like ordinary fox shocks. Also, since The specialized uses more than one pivot, the bearings may need to be replaced more often than simpler single pivot bikes such as the Jekyll. Also keep in mind that the Specialized is 4 years newer, meaning that the fork and shock are going to be years ahead in terms of technology. Other than that, it should be a fairly reliable setup, and fast riding bike if its not abused.

Sounds like a deal,but too bad you cant get a bargain on a a jekyll 3000
    Vader: I find your lack of faith disturbing.

http://img77.exs.cx/img77/5609/chaseav.jpg

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    The components on the Specialized are all top notch.

However, you should consider that you're buying a XC RACING bike and not a TRAIL bike like your Jekyll. The brain shock is made for heavy riders (180lbs+) to work well. The bad thing about the Epic is that it rides like a hardtail all the time. Once you hit the first roots, the shock opens up after the first root for the other ones. That's what i don't like about the EPIC (my friend has one and i've tryed it). To me, it would make a much better bike if they were to be equipped with the Manitou Swinger shocks like on the MERIDA that you can get in Europe (Merida makes the bike for specialized somewhere in Taiwan)

So my advice to you is:

Get the specialized if:
    - You plan on racing in the near future
    - Don't mind the ride of a hardtail
    - (most important) Your best experience, your biggest thrill while on a bike is CLIMBING

Don't get the specialized if:
    - You like the plush feel of the Jekyll while going down
    - Don't mind pusing harder on the pedals while climbing, you'll be going down soon!
    - (most important): You climb a hill cause it's the only way to catch a good downhill!
    - You don't mind how fast you ride, the best part of riding is enjoying a smooth ride!

Oh and also:

Get the Specialized if:
    - You plan on tearing all the parts of it to put on a different frame and put it up for sale on ebay after buying the new prophet frameset!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Get something else.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJay
    The components on the Specialized are all top notch.

However, you should consider that you're buying a XC RACING bike and not a TRAIL bike like your Jekyll. The brain shock is made for heavy riders (180lbs+) to work well. The bad thing about the Epic is that it rides like a hardtail all the time. Once you hit the first roots, the shock opens up after the first root for the other ones. That's what i don't like about the EPIC (my friend has one and i've tryed it). To me, it would make a much better bike if they were to be equipped with the Manitou Swinger shocks like on the MERIDA that you can get in Europe (Merida makes the bike for specialized somewhere in Taiwan)

So my advice to you is:

Get the specialized if:
    - You plan on racing in the near future
    - Don't mind the ride of a hardtail
    - (most important) Your best experience, your biggest thrill while on a bike is CLIMBING

Don't get the specialized if:
    - You like the plush feel of the Jekyll while going down
    - Don't mind pusing harder on the pedals while climbing, you'll be going down soon!
    - (most important): You climb a hill cause it's the only way to catch a good downhill!
    - You don't mind how fast you ride, the best part of riding is enjoying a smooth ride!

Oh and also:

Get the Specialized if:
    - You plan on tearing all the parts of it to put on a different frame and put it up for sale on ebay after buying the new prophet frameset!!!!!
    The Specialized Epic is a very nice bike but it is a xc race bike and is not designed to be an "all mountain" bike. It will be a very harsh ride on the rough terrain you described. If there is some smooth trails in your area and you want to try racing it might be a worthy investment and then you will have a trail bike and a racing bike. Personally I think you should upgrade your old bike to a new Jekyl or Prophet if you are going to be doing more all mountain riding. The new 04 trail bikes are worthy upgrades. I like the Specialized Enduro for a trail bike also. It is too bad that the deal wasnt for a S-works Enduro with the brain shock then it would be an easy choice to make.

Loser

Funny you should ask this now...

One of the guys I ride with on occasion showed up this weekend with an Epic, where he has been riding a Jekyll. He says he liked the Jekyll much better. This guy definitely enjoys launching the occasional drop. He wasn't dropping anything on the Epic.

The Jekyll is definitely more of a trail bike, where the Epic is a XC bike.

My $0.02.

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Are you talking to me?

It depends on you.

Are you looking for a race platform? THe Jekyll is a trailbike, and the Epic is not.
    gfy

Ridin' many miles...
    Thanks for all the great replies, and advice. I've pretty much nixed the idea of the Epic, since I'm a middle aged daddy of two with a real job and all the typical realities that go with that. All this means that I won't be having time to race, and even at 1/3rd retail, it would feel like I was raiding the kid's college funds.

It looks like I've made a deal on a 2003 Jekyll w/ a (year 2000) Lefty DLR (100mm) and a (year 2004) fox float RL., Hayes HFX mag disks. The rest of the components are CODA and lx, XT. So I chose the frame style I like over the groupo I coveted. It's all right about $1k US. (is this a deal? )

The one thing I'm concerned about is the Lefty. Are there any problems with the year 2000 Lefty DLR? This might be the first year they came out so it's alarming.

Thanx,

Ed

I ride therefore I am.

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by EdZilla
    Thanks for all the great replies, and advice. I've pretty much nixed the idea of the Epic, since I'm a middle aged daddy of two with a real job and all the typical realities that go with that. All this means that I won't be having time to race, and even at 1/3rd retail, it would feel like I was raiding the kid's college funds.

It looks like I've made a deal on a 2003 Jekyll w/ a (year 2000) Lefty DLR (100mm) and a (year 2004) fox float RL., Hayes HFX mag disks. The rest of the components are CODA and lx, XT. So I chose the frame style I like over the groupo I coveted. It's all right about $1k US. (is this a deal? )

The one thing I'm concerned about is the Lefty. Are there any problems with the year 2000 Lefty DLR? This might be the first year they came out so it's alarming.

Thanx,

Ed
    Hurray for EdZ now we don't have to put you on the Cannondale TRAITOR list.
    If your getting the '03 Jekyll w/components for $1K that is a great deal!
    My other hobby is watching C'dales on ebay for good deals.
    An '03 jekyll w/lefty will cost $1200+ depending on components.

I'll post my comments on the 2000 Lefty DLR on the seperate thread you started for that.
    Last edited by jekyllman; 09-03-2004 at 12:45 PM.

Ridin' many miles...
    Quote Originally Posted by jekyllman
    Hurray for EdZ now we don't have to put you on the Cannondale TRAITOR list.
    If your getting the '03 Jekyll w/components for $1K that is a great deal!
    My other hobby is watching C'dales on ebay for good deals an '03 jekyll w/lefty $1200+ depending on components.
    I'll post my comments on the 2000 Lefty DLR on the seperate thread you started for that.
    Yes, I decided on another Jekyll to avoid getting on the hated Cannondale Traitor list where I'd be hunted down like a dog.

...and because of the advice I got on this board, and because I think the Jekyll I have is awesome.

It was an Ebay purchase, and It actually cost me 1125 after shipping, etc. We'll see what kind of shape it's in, but the guy has been very convincing that it's in great shape. The components are a mediocre mix, but I can deal with that as long as the Lefty, frame and rear fork are solid.

I hope it all holds up as well as my 900sl has to all the hard riding I've done. Amazing.

BTW my 2000 Jekyll 900 SL will be going on sale soon, but I'm going to miss it. It has been a fantastic beautiful bike and the rear Fox Float RL has never had problems at all. Never.

I ride therefore I am.

One of the best!!!

Here's a pict of mine in all it's Glory!! What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ridin' many miles...
    Quote Originally Posted by jekyllman
    Here's a pict of mine in all it's Glory!! What do you think?
    I think I'm in love! Seriously, that is beautiful! It even looks like the rotors are anodized...

Is that a stock paint job?

The one I'm getting won't be as pretty (gloss black) as my 900sl (blue w yellow) which bums me out a bit...I'm gonna miss it for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EdZilla
    I think I'm in love! Seriously, that is beautiful! It even looks like the rotors are anodized...

Is that a stock paint job?

The one I'm getting won't be as pretty (gloss black) as my 900sl (blue w yellow) which bums me out a bit...I'm gonna miss it for sure.
    WOW!!! THAT is one NICE bike!!!

I ride therefore I am.

Smile Thanks...

Believe it or not this is a frame up build...and everything on the bike (including the frame)was bought off of eBay, total cost of about $2,400. It is the only way I could afford a bike this nice, or rather multiple bikes. Actually I had bought a stock '04 SOBE Jekyll 800 from my LBS late '03. I upgraded it to XTR (bought off eBay), then decided to race so I bought an '03 SOBE Scalpel frame and Lefty DLR (eBay) swaped components then I sold the Jekyll frame and fork. I missed the Jekyll so much I bought this frame and built it one piece at a time. I actually got this frame, fork, and rear Maitou for what I sold the original frame alone for $800, a fluke, the owner listed it in road frames I was the only one who bid.

EdZ that is the '04 SOBE Replica paint scheme on the Jekyll 800's dressed with some extra stickers. The rotors are universal Hope Gothic 160mm. Here are all the specs.

Jekyll 800 Specs
    Frame Jekyll
    Fork HeadShok Lefty Max TPC+
    Rear Shock Manitou Swinger SPV 3 way
    Rims Mavic 3.1 Tubeless disc, 24 hole
    Hubs Cannondale 30th Anniversary Lefty front, DT Swiss HUGI rear
    Spokes DT Revolution polished
    Tires 26 x 2.0"- Hutchinson Python Gold w/DYI tubeless brew
    Pedals TIME ATAC Z
    Crank Shimano XT 760 22/32/44
    Chain SRAM PC69 9-speed
    Rear Cogs Shimano XT, 11-34