mtbr member
    Apr 2011

FSi vs F29 ride differences?

Hi, I'd be really interested to hear comparisons between F29 and FSi from anyone who has ridden both. Particularly in regards to the shallower head angle and stability on fast / techy downhills.

I'm currently riding an F29 and considering adding a Scalpel but might wait for the 2016 Scalpels if the new FSi geometry makes a lot of difference.

Thanks for any opinions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm riding in the elite category here in Denmark (around top 20). The courses here are quite technical I'd say.

I rode an F29 Carbon 1 in 2013, an F29 Team in 2014, and I just got an F-Si Team for this season. I only have about 50 km on the F-Si so far.

For me the difference is quite big. I still need to get used to the F-Si, but it already feels much faster on the descents. I'm sure it'll get even better when I finish building the new wheels (Mcfk/Tune).

I am 180 cm tall and was in doubt whether I should get a medium or a large (the F29s were both large). I tried both, and decided to go with the large, which I'm happy with so far. Cannondale's shortest stem is 90 mm, but you can use a SuperMax steerer tube, and a 1.5" stem to get down to 60 mm. I know a guy who has done this, and he likes it.

Lazy Overachiever
    I came from a 2013 F-29 Ultimate, to the F-Si, both XL. I would second what the_marshar has to say about the bikes descending chops. With the longer, slacker front end, the F-Si is a noticeably better descender at high speeds. It took me some time to learn how to weight the front end, and with the longer wheelbase, it's not as fast in really tight twisty, stuff, when I need to throw the bike from side to side. I will say that as I learn how to handle the bike, the tight, fast bits are getting close to the F-29.

As far as how the slack front end handles the steep climbs, or tight switchbacks, I would say that there is little to no difference that I can tell. If fact, it handles the steep, tech climbs better for me because the front end rolls over obstacles better, and the short chainstays don't seem to hang up on square edges and such.

All in all, it would not be a stretch for me to say that the new bike has been transformative...........the bike flat out rips the downs, and is as good, or better on the ups. I would wait for the new Scalpel for sure ( I also have a 2012 Scalpel 2) if in fact, they copy the F-Si geo.

Cat 1 podium racer @ 6'4"

ps. watch the video of the Fontana XCT to see how Anton Cooper blew the field apart on his F-Si........on Thunder Burts no less. He had no problem getting the bike down the fast, tight stuff on that course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viGz3XEDtaQ

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    the_marsbar: Thanks, great info there. Do you not like the stock Enve wheels? or just to save some weight?

evenflo: thanks for very helpful ride report too, much appreciated. Ditto the race link - I'm in UK and usually just watch the WC XCOs but happy to see any other good races like that (great heli footage!) Cooper looking immensely strong there and yes, fast on the techy stuff, even vs the FS guys. I really like the Sagan / Fontana Fsi clip too - makes it look like that FSi is always either wheelieing or drifting!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The ENVEs rims are too narrow and heavy IMO. They ride fine as such, but I'm a bit careful about pushing it in the corners on such a narrow rim.