mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Frozen Lefty DLR Ti

Hey, I'm looking for input anyone can offer. I purchased a used but excellent condition 2003 Scalpel 1000 over a year ago. I have put 2 seasons on it now. Both shocks have been working fine, until the last ride. It was a very wet/muddy 2.5 hr ride. everything seemed fine until a couple days after the bike sat, and now the left is completely frozen. There was no forewarning, at first I thought it was just locked out. Send to cannondale, or try it myself?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Chances are, upon inspection, yuo'll find some small, or maybe large, holes in your boot. It let a bunch of water and grit in, which has rusted your races. Can you do much about it yourself? If you have alot of time, the proper tools, and the ability to source the correct races, yes, otherwise, probably better to let someone else handle it. Cannondale can most likely fix it, but often has issues with working on older stuff, and it may cost you a goodly sum too. There are other sources for repair out there, a few lurk in the forum too, so keep your eyes open. And by all means, ask questions about who you're dealing with first, many folks here have a few stories to share
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    A good LBS that service Lefties in-house is a good option although that's getting very rare. A good place to look to find someone who does quality work, quick turn around times all at very good prices is, I don't know, a web address at the bottom of someone's post, preferably when it's written 'All Lefty's, all the time' under their user name...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Alright thanks guys. Sounds like I'll probably be sending it back to cannondale.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedelong1
    Alright thanks guys. Sounds like I'll probably be sending it back to cannondale.
    Or Mendoncyclesmith?

LA CHÈVRE
    I think I was too subtle in my post above...
    [CAUGH]www.mendoncyclesmith.com[/CAUGH]

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Thanks guys, I was trying to be subtle, guess you were too

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Hey Mendon, do you plan on setting up a service center in Australia anytime soon?? We could sure use you down here!!

Quote Originally Posted by sp3000
    Hey Mendon, do you plan on setting up a service center in Australia anytime soon?? We could sure use you down here!!

Frankly, there's times I'd like living down there. My parents just went this past summer, and loved it. But, then reality sinks back in, and nope, ain't gonna happen anytime soon. I do have a few folks who send stuff from there though, (I'm going international ) But it isn't cheap. Gotta be some wrench down under that cares to pick up the torch, no?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Well, I know the Cannondale importer here and he looks after me really well, but it would be great to have some shops like you in Sydney, I think we lack the real specialized mechanics here in the average LBS. I guess we just don't have the same demand as in the US. But next time you think of having a holiday, you have a guaranteed trail guide at your disposal in Sydney!!

Quote Originally Posted by sp3000
    But next time you think of having a holiday, you have a guaranteed trail guide at your disposal in Sydney!!
    I hear you, good thing the importer is taking care of things. Man, now I have an offer of cold beer from one guy, and now a trail guide, you guys are alright! Hey mother, pack yer bags.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com