mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Free Ride to HardTail Question

Hi, I'm a new guy here!

I have a Cannondale Gemini 1000 that I've been riding since 2003. I ride pure trails, fast rutted downhills, with just as many slow (for me), rutted uphills! But, no drops and I ride for fun and exercise, not looking to get serious or race.

The Gemini has been a strong, fun bike, but very heavy for what I do. I want to try something different, and I would like to buy a used hardtail frame and swap everything over to it. My bike has the Rox Shox Psylo fork.

Can I just buy a F series or Caffeine frame and directly swap the components? I know I would need a disk compatible frame, and the large head tube, but is there anything else? Is the geometry of all the F Series frames similar? I'd like to get the bike a lot lighter. Would my components work on a carbon frame from another manufacturer? I'm not up to speed on what is standard and what is specific to Cannondale, so I don't want this to turn into a costly projects involving adapters, or I should just buy a complete hardtail bike at that point.

Thanks for the help and advice!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Socal_rider
    Hi, I'm a new guy here!

I have a Cannondale Gemini 1000 that I've been riding since 2003. I ride pure trails, fast rutted downhills, with just as many slow (for me), rutted uphills! But, no drops and I ride for fun and exercise, not looking to get serious or race.

The Gemini has been a strong, fun bike, but very heavy for what I do. I want to try something different, and I would like to buy a used hardtail frame and swap everything over to it. My bike has the Rox Shox Psylo fork.

Can I just buy a F series or Caffeine frame and directly swap the components? I know I would need a disk compatible frame, and the large head tube, but is there anything else? Is the geometry of all the F Series frames similar? I'd like to get the bike a lot lighter. Would my components work on a carbon frame from another manufacturer? I'm not up to speed on what is standard and what is specific to Cannondale, so I don't want this to turn into a costly projects involving adapters, or I should just buy a complete hardtail bike at that point.

Thanks for the help and advice!!
    Have a look at the Flash 29er's. Strong, fun, but light hardtails.