mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Frame Recommendation for 140 Lefty Max Carbon SPV Evolve

My lack on technical knowledge with regard to the lefty and its compatibility with Cannondale frames is driving me crazy. Last year, I purchased a new Lefty Max Carbon SPV (rash decision driven by those "hard to find sales"). I am now left with the issue of looking for a frame to match the lefty. I want to build a hardtail cross country bike (using this fork if at all possible). First question is whether or not it is even possible to build a hardtail out of this fork, and secondly, which frame would work?

mtbr member
    The lefty will fit any onepointfive headtube as long as you have the cannondale system integration headset. There is also someone who sells lefty 1 1/8 steerer tube . Also since you have a carbon lefty you cant move the clamps up and down to fit a frame that has a longer head tube.

heres a link to the adapter on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/1-1-8-Steer-tube...QQcmdZViewItem

mtbr member
    I would reccomend a Prophet because if you put that on any other frame it will slack out the head tube and make it hard to climb, the prophet geometry is optimized to fit the lefty max, on the frame you can adjust the head tube angle for a XC or Free ride setting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    +1 on the Prophet. I think 140mm is too much for a XC hardtail maybe OK for DJ bike but the lefty is far too good for that. They're not my thing (short legs!) but if you are set on a hardtail I believe they work well on a 29er if you reduce the travel.
    Otherwise sell the fork and start again. Sorry but I think its one of those "you can't get there from here" situations.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Thanks for the advice

You confirmed what I already suspected... this fork will not work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker921
    +1 on the Prophet. I think 140mm is too much for a XC hardtail maybe OK for DJ bike but the lefty is far too good for that. They're not my thing (short legs!) but if you are set on a hardtail I believe they work well on a 29er if you reduce the travel.
    Otherwise sell the fork and start again. Sorry but I think its one of those "you can't get there from here" situations.
    There was a guy on another forum that was riding a single speed with a max on it.

mtbr member
    EbisuTrailRider,
    Relax! you can use your awsome lefty on just about any frame with the use
    of a lefty adaptor. Your only restriction witht the carbon lefty's is the distance
    between the top and bottom crowns (as mentioned by duncan 1104) but many riders
    have made it work on many frames. There are a number of retailers that sell the adaptor
    (Im told to stay away from the Canadian version). PM me and I can give you some details.
    Or just search this forum for "lefty conversion" or "lefty adaptor" you will find all kinds of people doing it. Good luck!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    140 Max is too much for a hard tail?

Love mine, 1 1/8" P321 and all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Max on F300

Lefty max on my son's F300...it's actually great for a kid, the slack HT angle gives steady handling. He blows me away down hills (the little ones we have here in the east).

It does void the warranty....whatever.
    Attached Images Attached Images