mtbr member

Frame Protection

Hi guys just bought a 2013 FLASH carbon 3 and would like to protect the frame from cable rub and from the chain slapping on the top of the frame . What does anyone recommend for looking after the frame ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've used helicopter tape. I don't know yet how well it holds up, but its quite thick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I use an Australian company called frameskin. They make a complete frame protection kit for most bikes. They are durable and work very well. I've used them on all my bike. Never had a problem. Frameskin.com.au

Nor­wegr
    I'm using Shelter from Cantitoe Road, check out the videos

Shelter Bike Frame Protection

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    Self-sealing silicone electricians tape. 3M makes it, as well as a few other companies. I get it at Home Depot. MBAction had an article about this a while back. Stuff is light, clean, sticks only to itself (so awesome, does not leave gooey residue on frame or collect any dirt), lasts a long time, and is cheap). I wrap it on the chain stay or seat stay, where ever the chain might bounce on it. You can't just apply a small square, however, as it doesn't stick to anything by itself. You need to wrap it around, but once you layer it once (it comes with double sided backing you have to remove) it is nearly impossible to separate (but removed easily from your frame with scissors and no mess leftover). Comes in white and black, as far as I've seen.
    Last edited by runbaileyrun; 01-27-2013 at 09:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by the_marsbar View Post
    I've used helicopter tape. I don't know yet how well it holds up, but its quite thick.
    ^ this, and the place that has just about everything you'd need:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#abrasion-re...t-tape/=l7wav0

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies guys really informative and helpful.

Ninja Master Powers
    +1 for helicopter tape. I put it on my Nomad C about a year ago, biggest piece is on the down tube. Haven't had a issue with it at all.

There's a few scratches on the chain stays and down tube but only in the tape not the frame.
    I also have several small pieces at "rub" points on the frame, the tape has been rubbed but not the frame.

It will collect a bit of dust around the edges but not too bad; a wipe with a damp sponge or soft cloth and it gone though.

The only downside is the finish on my bike is flat, the tape is a bit glossy but not too bad. No one has ever mentioned even noticing it so maybe I'm he only one who sees it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    How hard is it to remove helicopter tape later? I'm just curious if this is a permanent application or if it can be taken off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm pretty sure it should come off easy enough. Otherwise I'm sure some warm air from a hairdryer or something similar will help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The best (and cheapest) method I have found by far is the Fuzzy side of Velco tape. You can buy strips at just about any dollor store, and it works awesome... Had it on my Fash, and planning to immediately put it on my new Scalpel. Also, when you do get chainslap, it is just about completely silent. You may think this is a dumb idea, but...don't knock it till you try it!!!
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    I use helI tape, and have heard it has taken paint off when not removed properly. I.e. With a hot air gun. Can be very difficult to remove. Great stuff though. Just be careful ?