mtbr member
    May 2006

frame exchange program

hello. I have a prophet size petite (xs) that I want to exchange for a prophet size S so I contacted my local cannondale dealer to take advantage of the frame exchange program.
    he told me I can do it, he just needed to take some pictures at my frame (in mint condition) to send them to cannondale. after a couple of days he told me he can do it for $ 900 usd !!!!!! and not only that, the new frame would come with a radium r shock that is the most basic shock available, in fact that shock is not even made by manitou any more. thats way out of the question, thats practically the price of a new frame, I can buy a santacruz heckler for $1100 witht a fox float r shock and still keep my prophet frame. beware when cannondale tells you that one advantage is that you have a "frame exchange program".

bernardo

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    I traded in a Jeykll for a Prophet in '05 at my local lbs (where I bought the Jeykll-got a smokin deal),got an even better deal on a Prophet frame and carbon lefty max.Moral of the story:do your buisness at your local lbs if you want the best deals.Cannondale sets the guide lines on frame trades.The bike shop sweetens the deal.I won't disclose my lbs,but I was given the frame and fork at cost ($1200) and sold the Jeykll to a friend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The frame exchange program is not designed so that if you got the wrong size frame you can exchange it for the right size. I think they give you roughly $300 credit towards a new frame. I don't think it matters if your bike is almost brand new or a 15 year old hardtail that has been thrashed. If your LBS has a good relationship with Cannondale they should be able to work with you, but you may just be better off selling your frame. I've heard of people who have good relationships with their bike shops getting bikes and frames at the exchange price without ever trading anyhting in. I think the trade ins end up in the dumpster anyway.

mtbr member
    I have ordered 08 Prophet frame from a LBS where I never bought $1 worth of stuff for $999 with RP23 + tax.

Needles to say, do not trade the frame, sell it. Get a new one or a complete bike (starting at $1299) and sell the parts.
    Or get a used frame/bike...

Yes, the price tag for a new frame is close to other frames...
    What do I know, ask the "experts"!