Thread: Fox vs SL?

narCOTIC

Fox vs SL?

I'm going to be in the market for a new carbon lefty soon, and wondered what the benefits of each were? I'm approx 200lb, and ride mainly XC, with a bit of light AM. The shock is going on a 2002 f800, and i am looking at getting a custom Ti frame (Cotic, DEAN, Van Nicholas) made up in the near future, which the lefty will go onto.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    If you do a quick search you will find quite a few threads on this topic.
    here are just a couple:
    Lefty SL vs Lefty Fox RLC
    lefty Fox RLC

Good luck working it out, I had the same dilemma!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    There is a thread on this forum somewhere that hosts an in-depth analysis of both the Lefty Speed Carbon SL vs. Lefty Speed Carbon FOX RLC forks; I can't seem to find it!

Overall, my experience has been in favor of the Lefty Speed Carbon FOX RLC. Thanks to the use of FOX RLC internals vs. Cannondale's own, the compression damping and rebound are much smoother and more plush. I also trust them better! In terms of reliability, serviceability and durability, I trust and have seen better results from the likes of FOX than Cannondale, when it comes to suspension internals.

The Carbon SL is a bit lighter than the FOX RLC fork, however I think the FOX fork will provide a better experience. The FOX RLC Lefty is fool proof; it uses a titanium coil spring, with preload internally adjustable. Externally, there is low speed compression, rebound and lockout with pedal platform adjustment. Once you get all the settings dialed, this makes for a very plush and reliable suspension setup. On the other hand, the Carbon SL fork has a schrader valve for air pressure, rebound and lockout...a much more bare-bones setup for the Racer Elite.

Both forks will get the job done, well! Secondly, you probably won't have many, if any, issues with either. I'd take the FOX RLC Lefty over the Carbon SL any day of the week. More adjust ability, smoother/plusher damping, greater reliability...better shock absorption!

FIRENZE rulez !!
    on my scalpel i rode :

SL

RLC 2008

SL 88+ tuned

so , RLC is more tuneable with a large setup to find and explore .... is heavier but give more stability to bike

SL is lighter but born for XC not AM

SL 88+ is the state of art in XC , is gentle and soft like no other

narCOTIC
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I was leaning more towards the Fox, and you have all just clarified it for me. I'm not too bothered about the weight saving with the SL (i'm upgrading from a DLR anyway, so i'm going to be saving quite a bit), and the massive adjustability of the Fox is great!

Couple more questions...

Being 200+lbs will i need to change out the spring for a firmer one, or is that dialled in through the preload.

I have a Hope stem, with Hope vision light bolted to the front, so i don't want to change out my stem and steerer for the Integrated one, Can i still use my current steerer from my non-bonded DLR, or do i need to get a new one?

FIRENZE rulez !!
    sure you can use your stem

you need a steerer tube , normally lefty are sold without tube or one piece steerer

i use a combination of tube and stem on my SL88+ ...

comapred to my One piece is lighter , and able to NOT use a reduction for my hanldebar

another FOX positive thing : no air to inflate .... forget pump.....