Thread: Fox Lefty?

mtbr member
    May 2005

Fox Lefty?

So after 4 hard years of endurance racing on my trusty Scalpel I am going to get a '08 version. I really don't like the XTR version and don't want the team version. Since I will be pulling some parts off of my current ride I think I am going for the Scalpel 2. My brakes, crankset/BB and wheelset, shifters are lighter than the team version so I am not too worried about weight loss or gain. I am however wondering if the benefits of not having an air spring on the Fox lefty outweigh the 200 gram difference of the SL.

My only problems with my current carbon lefty have been the lack of an independent compression/rebound adjustment (I could never get the two to be correct with oil weight changes) and the air chamber losing air over the course of a 24 hour race, both would be a non issue with the Fox lefty. If I get the Scalpel 2 I can actually buy an SL Lefty for less than the price difference between the 1 and 2.

Does anyone think the Fox cartridge will be better than the stock SL cartridge? It seems odd that I cant get a non BB30 version with an SL and non XTR parts
    Thanks!

LA CHÈVRE
    The Lefty Speed Fox RLC hasn't started shipping yet so nobody actually had time on it, should be a good option for those who prefer the tunability and adjustments over the lighter weight of the SL. The Fox might be a wee stiffer too.

Better feeling and performance? That remains to be seen but it's a matter of preference anyway. Better reliability? Time will tell too.

And I'm not sure if the Scalpel 2 has a different BB shell than the BB30 of the 1 and Team. The road System Six and Super Six and I think the Carbon Rush too have all the BB30 shell but have adaptors to use regular cranksets. I'm not 100% sure on that one, especially for the new Scalpels.

But I think we'll see more and more BB30 cranksets and bikes, not only from Cannondale. You may have a lighter crank/BB combo than a Hollowgram SL (615 grams) but it must be worlds less stiff than the Hollowgram. Apart from it's price, the Hollowgram SL is the king of cranksets IMO, very light but super stiff too.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks Dan,
    I am just assuming that the frame is different as in previous years when you could get a standard 73mm shell or the SI frame. It does just say "Carbon Scalpel' not "Carbon Scalpel BB30".
    I like the Hollowgram SL crankset, just not enough to justify the cost of the Team model, my current rig is lighter with pedals than the talked about 22-1/2 pounds of the team. The XTR model gets the carbon crankset which is heavier than my current setup. I weigh 145 pounds and I have never been able to tell the difference between cranks so that is pretty much a wash. I pay dealer cost on this stuff and the Team version is still a crap load of money.
    I like the dampening of the Fox stuff, the seals just suck so I was hoping that the Fox lefty would take care of those issues. I really like the ability to tune both compression and rebound separately, something C-Dale should really consider since it seems you cant get it right on oil viscosity alone, got to do a shim change which is a pain in the arse and a crapshoot at best.
    As far as reliability is concerned, who knows, I don't know if they have fixed the problems of the SL cartridge yet, mine has blown twice.
    Like I said, the difference between the 1 and 2 will allow me to get an SL and switch between forks for different stuff which seems like the best of both worlds.
    Other than the "tight" feeling of the Terralogic fork, how was the dampening?