mtbr member
    Oct 2007

FOX FORK ----- VS ----- LEFTY plse help

hi i have just bought a cannondale scalpel 2006 team from the states, and have been checking out different forks and parts. I was thinking of getting a fox fork of some kind

for around £250 from usa, but should i pay £150 more and get a lefty, will a lefty be that much better, or will my bike be unblalanced?

also if i decide to go for a fork, will i need a new headset, and if so are they easy to fit.

any advice would be very welcome. thanks mark

mtbr member
    Lefty or Fatty Ultra is the ONLY choice you have to make!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

My suggestion, Fatty DLR

I have had a Scalpel 1000 for a while that came with a Caron Lefty. The Lefty performed flawless, however I would always feel the Scalpel beeing a bit unbalaced. 110mm of plush travel front an som stif sof-tail like suspension in the rear. I have a Fatty DLR on my Taurine now and it's a great fork. Stiff, quick steering and very light.

To me it seems that the Scalpel/Fatty DLR would be a great option. Bonus is the wider choise of wheelsets you get vs the lefty.

Don''t get me wrong, the Lefty's are great, but my choice for an XC race bike like the Scalpel would be the Fatty DLR.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thanks for replies guys.

is a fatty fork, not just same as any other fork except that its made by cannondale?,

im new to this, would a fox fork not be a good option for my front end as it has a fox rp3 at the back?

mtbr member
    The Fatty is stiffer than other "normal" 2 legged forks as it only has the one central shock body that is in the steerer. They're more precise, plusher in my opinion and lighter, they also have a lockout that is right on top so it's very practical.

Have a look at this page from the 07 Cannondale site http://es.cannondale.com/suspension/07/

LA CHÈVRE
    I wouldn't say plusher but definitly stiffer and more precise, lighter than most too. As a bonus, they have a clean look. If you ride on rougher and more technical trails with big rocks and such though, the 80mm travel might be a bit short, a Lefty Speed would be better there. As for front and rear balance, I don't think it's an issue to have more travel up front than on the rear, think of hardtails, by that logic, they would have to be run with rigid forks... You can't let go of the bars when it gets rough while it's easy to lift your butt from the saddle a bit to keep going fast without getting beat up...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thanks for your postings, i kind of get the feeling that i should go for a carbon lefty, just don't want to spend the dosh, i also cant find a fatty for sale either.

just to clarify, if i did put a fox fork or say a rockshox pike fork on the bike would it still

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    well, im no pro, so would i even notice difference. It would mean that i would save around £200, to put towards the rest of the build.

has anyone every tried other brand forks on their scalpel before?

basically what im trying to say is that i would like a lefty but im being tight! and was hoping that a fox fork would do a similar job, what do you guys reckon?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Fox forks are good...

Just as there are many other forks.

Cannondale Prohets and Rush bikes get good reviews, even when they no longer all come with Lefty's. Cannondale uses a lot of Fox forks on their 2008 range. So don't feel needed to buy a Lefty or Fatty. You'll see a lot op members on this forum happy with other forks.

Just keep in mind that not any fork will suit the Scalpel. The Scalpel is a real XC bike, so you might want to look for an XC orientated fork to match the Scalpels ferformace.

I think that a RS pike, althouhg a nice fork, is no match for a Scalpel. I think a fork in the 80 to 100 mm travel would fit best, longer forks will mess up the geometry to much resulting in slower steering. Also try to find a nice light for to match the Scalpels light frame.

You will however need reducer cups for your headset to be able to match a non-cannondale fork as they use a different diameter steerer tube. There's a lot of info on that to be found on this forum.

J

Retro Cannondale Addict
    I was able to cop my Lefty Max TPC 130mm for under $150 so it's not impossible to find one reasonable priced. My vote is for the Lefty!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I remember riding a lefty equipped bike right when they came out, and I didn't feel off balance when I rode it. Flip side, I have a marzoochi Super T on my Gemini now, and even with 20mm axles and a triple clamp, I gotta say the steering precision is not as good as my old headshok.

mtbr member

Good job!

Cannondale scalpel was designed to run with a lefty. Havent seen much scalpel on a fox fork. Besides lefty has better steering uphill and lighter too.