Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

fox DYAD RT2 problem!!!!!

guys, I have a question,

Just got a claymore. in full mode, the fox dyad works just perfect. without any problems, without wierd sounds and so on... BUT - when I switch to the elevate (110mm) mode, the shock kinda makes some wierd noises... pumping it up and down, it makes sort of clank - clank noise. (not top or bottom of the travel.. just in the middle...) feels and sounds like a worn bushing... just to compare it to something.
    (all chambers inflated according to the users manual)

guys, who ride claymores or jekylls, please let me know if I should worry... or if its normal...

any idea where to buy a spare fox dyad for my claymore ??? would love to have one spare...

thx a lot!!!

mtbr member
    I have a Claymore 2 and while I don't know if we have the same symptoms I did find that right out of the box...
    1.) all of the suspension pinch bolts need to be checked for proper torque (with a torque wrench)
    2.) Insure that the bushing gap is aligned exactly where they recommend (opposite the pinch clamp gap)

I had two (possible related) sounds/issues right after receipt.
    1.) When climbing out of the saddle over rocks or logs I would occasionally get a "pop" 2.) When the bike was at rest if you lifted it from the saddle you'd get a just perceptible "soft thump" in the suspension.

The first issue was corrected by correcting all the fastener torques, including the hard to reach ones (with a torque wrench). The second one I took back to the dealer and said fix it and they did (for free). I've had zero issues in the 10 months since.

mtbr member
    To one of your other questions...no it is absolutely not normal to have any noises coming from the suspension (in my experience).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm having an issue with the shock "creaking" as it sags under my weight when I'm on the saddle. It happens mostly in elevate mode. It seems like instead of instantly sagging, it's slowly moving down and as it does creates an annoying creaking. Anyone experience this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had similar issues to TMCL with my new Jekyll, all that needed doing was re torquing of the lower bolt on the pull shock, fixed the play ans slight noises

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I had to send it in to Fox. We'll see what happens..

mtbr member
    I had problem where shaft was coming out of shock body, so there was sag already. No good. So I send it to local fox service. It came and same problem again. Now shaft rises more than previously. I have to send it again..They said it that first problem was that oil/air where mixed. Yep maybe same again. Great.
    My fleet:
    System six 08
    Moto 1 08
    Jekyll 1000(04)
    Perp 3 (08)

Had R700 (05)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That sucks. Mine was also doing the shaft out of body thing as well. Hopefully it comes back fixed though....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    check out bikeradar.com. there's a feature on Aaron Chases' Claymore and in there's a pic of the shock with the shaft partially exposed. If he rides with it without a problem, I'm thinking it's all good

mtbr member
    Jep, I saw same pic from Chases claymore. Fox service sayed if shaft comes out of body then it is broken. Also when I put more pressure example over 300 psi(340psi would my weight according to manual) to neg. chamber shaft rises more and more, so now it is, say 3-4 cm over the shock body. Over 20-40 % is already used and I'am not in the bike..See..
    My fleet:
    System six 08
    Moto 1 08
    Jekyll 1000(04)
    Perp 3 (08)

Had R700 (05)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well if that's what Fox says than I guess that's gospel. I know they're customer service doesn't have the best reputation (though I've never personally had a problem), but since it's under warranty still I'd just keep dealing with them until you're satisfied. Sucks not to be able to use something you paid money for though-I feel your pain there.

mtbr member
    ya gotta love proprietary suspension .
    I learned my lesson with the first generation Jekyll
    and its trunion mounted rear shock .

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I just received my shock back from Fox. They found contaminated oil, piston seals not seated in gland, oil transfer to negative chamber and the issue with the main shaft extended. They replaced some seals and bearings and everything was covered under warranty. Two week turnaround from the day I sent it out.

Shock seems great now and the main shaft no longer extends when I pump it up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just sent my dyad in today. the shaft was extended 1/4" or so before i even got on the bike. I just hope they get it right the first time.

mtbr member
    I got my dyad from service center and now shaft doesn't rise from body. Happy now
    My fleet:
    System six 08
    Moto 1 08
    Jekyll 1000(04)
    Perp 3 (08)

Had R700 (05)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What if I buy a jekyll frame and shock and it has no shock lever? Can I adjust it at the shock with my hand? can you adjust from elevate to long travel and vice versa without a cable and lever?

Or if the cable fails JRA...

mtbr member
    I haven't tried but
    1.) that would defeat a lot of the value of the system as I wouldn't want to stick my hand in that part of the frame while I was riding..
    2.) The system is like a derailleur in terms of how the actuator functions. Meaning... when you release the lever from "elevate" position it is pulled by a spring? or air cylinder? internal to the shock back to the "flow" mode. There is no latching feature (on the shock) to keep the shock in elevate mode. To keep the shock in elevate manually you would have to hold it in position (with constant hand pressure) just as you would with trying to get a derailleur to hold a gear without a gear shifter attached.

If the cable fails you will be stuck in flow mode. I've had zero issues or maintenance requirements for the shock cable in 15 months. The force you are transmitting just isn't much of a strain for the cable. I expect the only time it will ever need service is when enough trail dust collects in the housing to start adding a little friction to the system.

If you bought the frame and shock form someone without the lever I'd recommend calling a dealer and spending the ~20 bucks to get that lever. Aaron D (not sure if on this forum) had his lever cap pop off and was able to get a replacement from C'dale.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    so the answer is no
    thanks

mtbr member
    Sure.
    It's fun bike. I just setup a pair of Black Flag Pro's Tubeless with Mutano 2.4s. Much faster rolling and great for the times when you don't need as much traction.

my church is the woods

remote lever failed

The remote DYAD shock lever failed on my Jekyll.

Does anyone know if you can use any type of remote lockout lever? I can get a used rock shox fork lockout lever for a fraction of the price of buying the Fox oem type one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You can use a front derailleur shifter.

Helmet Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelrevolution View Post
    You can use a front derailleur shifter.
    Has anybody done this successfully? I just got a jekyll frame without the remote and figured since I am going to be running single up front that I could just pass on the $80 remote and use the shifter I already have but im afraid to have it not pull all the way and have it between the two modes or something.

my church is the woods
    I tried the rock shox remote and it broke on the first pull. I opened it up and the thin plastic part had just cracked in half.

I'm thinking of trying a thumb shifter next, they are only $10. If that works, I'll let y'all know

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trailhore View Post
    I just sent my dyad in today. the shaft was extended 1/4" or so before i even got on the bike. I just hope they get it right the first time.
    I was just messing with my air pressure after riding my new Claymore for about 2 months. After following the procedure in the manual, my shock shaft had about 1/4in to about 1/2in exposed. When I compressed the suspension it made a top out "clunk" and didn't feel good at all. I messed with it several times trying to get it to work. I then figured out that the positive air port fills two (long travel and short travel) chambers. I threaded my pump on just a little further beyond the point where the air fills the gauge and found that only then did the second air chamber engage. I released all the air (both chambers empty) and filled according to the manual. Now the shock filled as it should, shows no exposed shaft, and has no clunk sound. So the moral of the story it to thread your pump on just a little further and I think the problem many of us experience will be eliminated!

my church is the woods
    I got my DYAD shock rebuilt at Fox over the last month. From all the sheets of paper send back with it, they replaced just about everything in the shock.
    I've gotten a few rides on it now and it feels totally different than it did before. The main thing is the rebound adjustment now has a range of very slow to slow, instead of slow to fast. This only seems to be an issue in the long travel mode; the short travel mode rebound will adjust to fast. Could Fox have revalved the rebound shims or is this the way it's suppose to feel?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast