Thread: fox dh 40

not really a noob

fox dh 40

would a fox 40 be a good match for cannondale gemini 900? or would the 8 inches of travel screw up the frame and void warrenties?
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

not really a noob
    it would look sexy
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's adjustable down to 6", so you should be set. I'd run it to be as balanced as possible with the rear end, travel-wise, rather than longer.

MD

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

1.5 headtube

Quote Originally Posted by hardcoe newbie
    would a fox 40 be a good match for cannondale gemini 900? or would the 8 inches of travel screw up the frame and void warrenties?
    One of the advantages of the 1.5 headtube is you can run an internal headset than can lower your stack height for newer and taller 1 1/8 dual crown forks. This gives you some flexibility for taller forks with more travel.

http://www.e13components.com/zerosta...ucer_cups.html

not really a noob
    Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    One of the advantages of the 1.5 headtube is you can run an internal headset than can lower your stack height for newer and taller 1 1/8 dual crown forks. This gives you some flexibility for taller forks with more travel.

http://www.e13components.com/zerosta...ucer_cups.html
    im confused exactly how that wrorks.??

you guys think the for is a go?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcoe newbie
    im confused exactly how that wrorks.??

you guys think the for is a go?
    Those reducer cups press into your headtube, then bearings fit inside the cups at the same height. It keeps your stack height lower than if you used a standard headset, which would place the bearings above and below the headtube.

The fork would be a good fork for a freeride bike because of its ability to adjust travel (internally, by the way, it's not some dial-operated thing)...but I don't know anything firsthand about the fork itself.

MD

not really a noob
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentX
    Those reducer cups press into your headtube, then bearings fit inside the cups at the same height. It keeps your stack height lower than if you used a standard headset, which would place the bearings above and below the headtube.

MD
    it goes inside the headset? or you put it in the headtube like a headset?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It presses into the headtube. That's why I said "those cups press into the headtube."

Think of it as a way to fit a set of bearings for your 1 1/8 steer tube inside your 1.5 headtube.

Remember, using these cups will steepen your head angle and lower your bars compared to a normal-stack headset. But if you're using a longer fork than you were previously, it'll help keep your geometry closer to what it was.

MD

Ed: I have the cups on my Gemini; there's a pic in the Gemini sticky thread above at the very end of the thread (as of this writing). They're hard to see...but look at the headtube, and you'll see there's almost no headset stack, just a thin black line of a few mm. Those are the flat portions of the reducer which press against the rim of the HT. I do have the dust cap from the zerostack headset on there under my top crown, just b/c I needed to raise the top crown to fit on my stanchions.
    Last edited by AgentX; 07-13-2005 at 07:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Remember, using these cups will steepen your head angle and lower your bars compared to a normal-stack headset. But if you're using a longer fork than you were previously, it'll help keep your geometry closer to what it was.

These cups were design to accomodate the new longer travel forks. They will only work with 1.5 headtubes. You can mix and match the cups to play with the headangle and handlebar stack height.

Use the e-thirteen lower cup to steepen angle angle but use your stock top headset to keep you handle bars higher.

Or use the stock lower headset to maintain head angle and use e-thirteen upper cup to lower your bars.

not really a noob
    It presses into the headtube. That's why I said "those cups press into the headtube."

Think of it as a way to fit a set of bearings for your 1 1/8 steer tube inside your 1.5 headtube.

MD

Ed: I have the cups on my Gemini; there's a pic in the Gemini sticky thread above at the very end of the thread (as of this writing). They're hard to see...but look at the headtube, and you'll see there's almost no headset stack, just a thin black line of a few mm. Those are the flat portions of the reducer which press against the rim of the HT. I do have the dust cap from the zerostack headset on there under my top crown, just b/c I needed to raise the top crown to fit on my stanchions.
    nice bike, thanks for all the help

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    if u gwt one tell me how it works out and post pics

mtbr member

Next week

by the middle of next week I'll have an 06 fox 40 for my Gemini 2000. I will certainly post some pics and give a good write up. and I'm getting the E-thirteen reducer zero stack too. Getting really pumped to get rid of my ailing Breakout Plus...

Hardcore Newbie: Gemini is a pretty sick bike huh? Saw you videos, and it seems like you are getting really comfortable on that thing.

not really a noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Blue
    by the middle of next week I'll have an 06 fox 40 for my Gemini 2000. I will certainly post some pics and give a good write up. and I'm getting the E-thirteen reducer zero stack too. Getting really pumped to get rid of my ailing Breakout Plus...

Hardcore Newbie: Gemini is a pretty sick bike huh? Saw you videos, and it seems like you are getting really comfortable on that thing.

you defianatly got to post pics for me! I love my gemini, its definatly inspiring me to do new things and be confident about whats between my legs. POST PICS OF YOUR GEMINI+40 A.S.A.P please!

not really a noob
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini2000
    if u gwt one tell me how it works out and post pics

i will definatly post pics if and when i get one and i will probably do a review too

mtbr member

here you go

finially got the fork a day after I left for the Telluride DH race. I still have to get the brake adapter, and the headset worked out. I have the E13 reducer cups and an integrated headset, but can't get the crown race to seat on the lower bearing, and top compression ring to seat on the top cap. but I will give ride report asap.
    Can't wait on this thing... hopefully tomorrow

I do have a couple of pics though.
    Last one is a pic of the gaps in the headset... AgentX yours doesn't look like this does it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    ide upgrade the rear shock first...whats wrong with the sherman?

not really a noob
    Quote Originally Posted by callmecobra96
    nothing wrong with it, but theres better on the market and i have to money...

not really a noob
    finially got the fork a day after I left for the Telluride DH race. I still have to get the brake adapter, and the headset worked out. I have the E13 reducer cups and an integrated headset, but can't get the crown race to seat on the lower bearing, and top compression ring to seat on the top cap. but I will give ride report asap.
    Can't wait on this thing... hopefully tomorrow

I do have a couple of pics though.
    Last one is a pic of the gaps in the headset... AgentX yours doesn't look like this does it?
    nice bike! good luck with that.

mtbr member

Everything

Quote Originally Posted by callmecobra96
    The Sherman is a great freeride fork... but if you are serious about racing dh it is not the fork for you. Doing a lot of racing lately and I truly feel that it has been slowing me down a lot. I'd love a Dhx to go with it... but I've always loved the rear suspension. Mabey a Ti coil some day for the Swinger

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcore newbie
    nothing wrong with it, but theres better on the market and i have to money...
    if you have the money, ide say get rid of the stock vanilla shock first. its def the weakpoint of the bike. a dhx and 40 would be a sweet setup tho.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    http://www.cannondale.com/Asset/iu_f..._05_Gemini.pdf

Make sure you read that before adding a new non OEM fork to your bike. Some of the longer forks like the Fox 40 and 888 can overload the frame because they have too much travel. Look under Max fork length and measure it against your frame. If you have a gusseted frame you should be OK. If you do not have a gusseted frame then I would be very careful and inspect your bike regularly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    http://www.cannondale.com/Asset/iu_f..._05_Gemini.pdf

Make sure you read that before adding a new non OEM fork to your bike. Some of the longer forks like the Fox 40 and 888 can overload the frame because they have too much travel. Look under Max fork length and measure it against your frame. If you have a gusseted frame you should be OK. If you do not have a gusseted frame then I would be very careful and inspect your bike regularly.
    its gusseted and 1.5 head tube. ide say the frame would be more than strong enough

Feb 2004
    Yeah but Rally blue does not have the gusset....just lookin out for yah!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    Yeah but Rally blue does not have the gusset....just lookin out for yah!
    When I asked about putting a 888 on my 03 Gemini I believe the term "catastrophic failure" came up...

Tom

Feb 2004
    The problem is that the bike was engineered before these huge forks came out. Back in '01 / '02 the biggest travel from an OEM manufacturer was about 7 inches or so. That was fine for the Gemini. These new forks with 8 plus inches and huge amounts of clearance put a lot more stess on the head tube region. That is why all new Gemini's come with gussets. That is also the reason why companies like Marzocchi switched to flat crowns....not only for lowering the headtube and improved steering but to also reduce the amount of headtube loss on bikes (not just cannondales either)....

mtbr member
    I hoping that the headtube failure is not an issue here. The axle crown ratio is pretty freaking close actually. There is a difference of about 1/2". I was really surprised to see that. Actually my bars are lower now than they were with the breakout, I did have a few spacers under the stem, and have room for a spacer under the stem on the 40 if I don't like the height. Can't wait to ride this thing!!! Almost worse than waiting for weeks and weeks for the fork, is having it and not being able to ride it! Thanks for all the help

not really a noob

the bikes goodness has rubbed off on me